test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tommy Gun - First Contact Day Reward

Comments

• burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Isn't the Zefram 100% shieldpen too? I've never seen it damage shields after all. As to thr TR-B; its only really good if you build for it by megabuffing crit hit and severity and know to use it as a sniper rifle and not a close range weapon (I've done 8k+ crits on the Tholuan supervisor)... Pratically as sto tends to be close range, the shotgun is better
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    burstorion wrote: »
    Isn't the Zefram 100% shieldpen too? I've never seen it damage shields after all.

No. A part of it still hits shield. Most pens though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    People are going to hate me for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. I hope the Tommy gun behaves like the minigun. I love it when the combat ends, and the BOFF armed with the thing keeps firing bullets everywhere! Regardless, I'm going to use it anyway.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Character Unlock. Regressing.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    ltminns wrote: »

It's an account unlock.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    OK, thanks. Would it kill them to make this known in the Blogs already. It is consistently an area that gets the same question each time.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    OK, thanks. Would it kill them to make this known in the Blogs already. It is consistently an area that gets the same question each time.

Which is unnecessary because by now people should know, that all event things are account unlocks since they made that change.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    When I read this announcement, I immediately thought of this video:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hasqTTSomLY[/video]
    Go to 31 seconds to see the part I was visualising while reading the blog. ;)

It is nice to get a full auto kinetic weapon.
    Sometimes I do wonder why Starfleet didn't make such weapons mandatory in every ships' armory, specifically for scenarios involving the Borg.
    One of the novels had a story detail about a Starship that was equipped with TR-116s as an experiment, which was subsequently boarded by Borg assimilation parties.
    Every single Borg didn't survive what happened next.......

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    > @kurumimorishita said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > OK, thanks. Would it kill them to make this known in the Blogs already. It is consistently an area that gets the same question each time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Which is unnecessary because by now people should know, that all event things are account unlocks since they made that change.

But not when they say that each 'Character' can earn the Token.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    Sometimes I do wonder why Starfleet didn't make such weapons mandatory in every ships' armory, specifically for scenarios involving the Borg.
    One of the novels had a story detail about a Starship that was equipped with TR-116s as an experiment, which was subsequently boarded by Borg assimilation parties.

Because it is the equivalent of having bow and arrow in the present day. Yes, there are modern and probably even combat worthy variants of a bow and arrow, but the opportunities for such a weapon next to the regular armament used by the service in question would be so infinitesimally small that issuing these regularly would be completely useless.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Well, I can confirm that not only is the pose corrected so your character grabs the front grip correctly, but the whole thing has custom firing animations, which is a great level of polishing for a highly-anticipated weapon.

Another cool thing about it is the second fire mode giving your character a progressively angrier and screaming face, which is very welcome as a nod to its appearance in First Contact.

It still looks horrible with Caitian and Ferasan faces as their mouths are badly rigged for facial animations, but it's still pretty nice for the rest of the species.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Because it is the equivalent of having bow and arrow in the present day. Yes, there are modern and probably even combat worthy variants of a bow and arrow, but the opportunities for such a weapon next to the regular armament used by the service in question would be so infinitesimally small that issuing these regularly would be completely useless.​​
    In canon Trek, sure (and even the "borg can't adapt to bullets" myth is unsupported by canon anyway).

But STO has magic bullets that ignore all personal shields. So basically from the point which everyone and the kitchen sink started packing shields, it's the energy weapons that should be obsolete for any military purpose.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Muahahahahahaha! Awesome!

Now all I need is for the Male Formal wear to be universal. My main needs a suit and fedora to go with that Thompson.

Need the Fedora as well. All we have is the ballcap.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

In canon Trek, sure (and even the "borg can't adapt to bullets" myth is unsupported by canon anyway).

But STO has magic bullets that ignore all personal shields. So basically from the point which everyone and the kitchen sink started packing shields, it's the energy weapons that should be obsolete for any military purpose.

I only use em for Borgs or the occasional large gang of baddies.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

I only use em for Borgs or the occasional large gang of baddies.

Dual Chronoplasma pistols, trajectory bending, Omega armor and shield, or autocarbine for the crit. What large group of baddies?
    Mm5NeXy.gif

Yes, granted, that is true.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Both LTS & F2P accounts hit the old bug where you could interact with the trash piles but nothing else.

Good to see the polish and QA is down to the usual cryptic standards.

Will afk this over the weekend while the other account is doing the last of the mindnumbing featured tfo.
    Normally, I would have thought that it was an Account Unlock as well as the rewards from this Event mostly were. The Theta Radiation Infused Manuevers Trait from 2017 was not. As I said, it does not hurt to be more specific in these News Blogs.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Normally, I would have thought that it was an Account Unlock as well as the rewards from this Event mostly were. The Theta Radiation Infused Manuevers Trait from 2017 was not. As I said, it does not hurt to be more specific in these News Blogs.

So is it a Character unlock or Account Unlock? The Daily Week-end Doohicky drops once only per account... so is it bound to account and can be put in account/shared bank space.

Can every character on account run this daily to get the drop? but you only need 1 character to finish to unlock this on the account? The event is short enough that you can run this on more than 1 toon.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator

It's an account unlock.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    The tokens are still character bound so if you start on one you'll have to use them.

Or you could opt for the ludicrous store buyout thing that's bundled with some R&D gambleboxes and avoid having to afk for 5 mins a day entirely.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    or you could do what i did (with both this event and pahvo gauntlet) and spend tokens collected from prior events and avoid the event entirely​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    The Borg shields simply don't have the capacity to adapt to physical objects being fired or blades cutting them, nor apparently to blunt object trauma.
    And it's never been shown that any Borg drone has ever resisted a kinetic/physical attack, not one, so it never will be a canon fact their shields have this capability to resist purely physical attacks.

Given that the Borg are the most significant threat in the Trek universe and can literally appear from nowhere via their
    Transwarp corridors, it would be a matter of simple practically to give every Starfleet ship an armory stock that is effective against this enemy.

Let's be honest, if you were shooting an enemy immune to energy weapons, would you keep shooting them with that ineffectual weapon until they get close enough to nanoprobe assimilate you?
    I'l pull out the TR-116, put one shot through a vital part and then shoot the next Borg approaching.
    An entire security detail doing this would just be shooting Borg squads in a a barrel.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    From the description you can only use one per character - - well for me I would really enjoy having a full away team with them when I battle the borg, but if not, i will just use tr-116 instead. No fun if only one of us has one.
    I found out the above does not work on the tommy gun, you cannot mount more than one unique weapon on anyone making this a dust collector for the bank.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    tomilak wrote: »
    From the description you can only use one per character - - well for me I would really enjoy having a full away team with them when I battle the borg, but if not, i will just use tr-116 instead. No fun if only one of us has one.
    Have you tried putting the initial one on one of your boffs instead of your captain and tried claiming another?

Was going to say that guns like the sompek rifle have the one per limit but as soon as you put it on a boff it effectively vanishes and you can claim another.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    hrm, I didnt realize there was a workaround on this, interesting I will have to try that tomorrow with some other things.
    Thanks for the idea.
    That workaround will now probably be fixed next patch😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    What a reason to play they lost when they turned these event rewards into unlocks instead of discrete drops.

I'd have left them single drops, made them tradeable and allow players to earn spare copies to get people to play more (and/or buy more tokens).

But since they make these missions so you don't actually have to do anything in them anyway, I guess it's all the same.
This discussion has been closed.