test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Peril over Pahvo!

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    I'm simply doing my best to get information out there as best I can.
    Thank you. It's appreciated.
    Most people in here know that information is put out on multiple platforms: Twitter, Facebook, etc. And yes, those are official sources as well. If you chose not to avail yourself of those avenues to gain information, that's your choice.
    I've always been of the opinion that any information put out via other platforms should be available right here on the official game website in some form but realize that may not always be possible for reasons I don't fully understand. This coming from somebody who browses the STO News & forums, and related Reddits most days in an attempt to keep informed. :neutral:

Focus on the first 4 words of my post ^^
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Be careful what you wish for. For something new instead of a reskin, just check out the old vs. new 'No Win Scenario'. I mean who just doesn't like the AI for the Kobayashi Maru.

https://youtu.be/P6WD7B_I_9c

Well, at least we don't have all those flybys telling us about such and so being 'An Original Thinker'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    About 'communications', don't we have a 'Media Corps' and associated Forum? Are links to Livestreams there?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Finally played it and with my Sci chick, it was a turkey shoot. I didn’t enjoy it at all because it was seriously too easy.
  • psycherzpsycherz Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    And the costume unlock doesn't work on the BOFFs... WTF??
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    -
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    -
    +
  • psycherzpsycherz Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Take Peril Over Pahvo off the random TFO list! Had it pop three times in a row. I'm sure the folks that actually need / want to do it are getting tired of those of us that are over this retread constantly quitting their groups.
  • shadow#7909 shadow Member Posts: 3 New User
    Ok, I have already started on this, my question is the Anniversary Vouchers going to be on the Lobi store, so I can get the last 80 vouchers I will need to get the Vulcan Scout Ship, since I will not have enough of them by the time it ends (I am on the PS4).
    If the Event is running on Console, then there should be the Lobi Boxes availible.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    psycherz wrote: »
    And the costume unlock doesn't work on the BOFFs... WTF??

The unlock includes a separate chest gear item, which you can kitbash to good effect across uniform categories. The coat itself is a "civilian" item, ergo off duty. Whether that old restriction should be preserved is debatable but this is how everything sorts out with the systems in place now. If you want something for boffs that approximates the look there's the Mudd coat from the lobi store (expensive) or the most recent round of winter event jackets (cheaper, on the exchange.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Ok, I have already started on this, my question is the Anniversary Vouchers going to be on the Lobi store, so I can get the last 80 vouchers I will need to get the Vulcan Scout Ship, since I will not have enough of them by the time it ends (I am on the PS4).

PS4 anniversary got an extra week because of the scanning mission ballsup so if you only need 80 vouchers thats 2 days between now and the 4th of april.

Avoid the lobi store, its way too expensive and way too random to get vouchers from there.
    edited March 2019
    As stated before, there's always going to be some subset of the playerbase unhappy with whatever they've done.

But there are ways to improve development and communications to address specific issues addressed through feedback. A subset of the player base will be unhappy with any change or non-change (at the very least, see IDIC) but that shouldn't preclude consideration that what the devs have implemented could use tweaking at some level (ie. that the frustration expressed here isn't simply the internet being the internet.) The subset can be greater or smaller depending on what Cryptic does (see. growth, decline) and they should strive to improve the game as much as they can (a practical exercise which can succeed irrespective of whether or not it makes -everyone- happy), not strictly in line with feedback (see. what we know about the internet) but cognizant of the arguments put forward on a feedback forum.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited March 2019
    and they should strive to improve the game as much as they can (a practical exercise which can succeed irrespective of whether or not it makes -everyone- happy), not strictly in line with feedback (see. what we know about the internet) but cognizant of the arguments put forward on a feedback forum.
    Are you suggesting they haven't done so?

No, what makes you think that? I'm simply stating a re-affirmation of what forums are best used for to pull back from BMR's punctuating comment. Reflexive contrarianism isn't what earnest folk typically bring to these conversations and it's worth putting some emphasis on this point in the context of this discussion. There are valid points of frustration with respect to this TFO for which "you can't make everyone happy" doesn't completely explain (see. specific critical feedback.)

Feedback has been noted but noted specifically as that, not just unhappiness per the internet being the internet.
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I am not a professional writer. Neither am I in the employ of a company that has need of a forum. That being said cryptic is such a company. They are in the business of making a service in this case a game and in doing so they will have those upset and those happy with any change for a multitude of causes in either case.
    The OFFICIAL forum that contains the patch notes is the proper place to provide information before and above other options. If the developers don’t have the thick hide needed to use the forum that is there issue not the forum posters.

Being dismissive of feedback and playing my feelings are hurt here so I will instead place information where I can ignore people and restrict information to people blocking and so forth on these other so called official places is not professional in the least.

In reality as a company you hire and use a public relations manager that you know actually handles PR. And professionals to deliver factual information. As to an interpretation of the words on an official post it is the company’s job to be precise not the reader to feel their way around the intentions.

And for words here are a few things
    ALL: Used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing.
    New: Not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time.

By this we can say that in fact we have seen this before in a tfo we already had. And it is in fact not all as it has the same underlining as the other tfo.

It is how ever a reskin.
    Reskin: to replace or repair the exterior surface or coating of.

So by the defining words used we can see what it is and what it was stated to be are 2 different things.

In conclusion the facts are in and it was false in its wording. This is part of the critique of the tfo in that it was not as stated. Personally I don’t care if it’s as stated or not the content of the tfo I find of a inconsequential nature. I do how ever take exception to the false statement's perpetrated on the players, and is not building confidence in any way with the company. Or in other words bad pr means change it or change pr employee.
    To be or not to be: B)
    edited March 2019
    In conclusion the facts are in and it was false in its wording. This is part of the critique of the tfo in that it was not as stated. Personally I don’t care if it’s as stated or not the content of the tfo I find of a inconsequential nature. I do how ever take exception to the false statement's perpetrated on the players, and is not building confidence in any way with the company. Or in other words bad pr means change it or change pr employee.

I wouldn't go that far, "all new TFO" isn't an apt descriptor of Peril Over Pahvo by conventional community vocabulary but I could see that hanging around in the PR material from past events. Knowing Kael's workload (it's a lot) a shortcut leading to miscommunication would be a natural way this could happen. And that's my take: they didn't think it would be as contentious as it has been for some/many players (hence why it only came up in the more casual conversation of Ten Forward Weekly, they opened up easily enough in the freeform format. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this was a perpetrated act, more drifting into a contentious area.)

If they plan more reskins I think they should definitely lead into the reskin aspect and play up the "for future improvements to the old TFO" angle. For example: have a content design blog about the comparative aspects, what went into the old queue, and how they're changing it for the new one (good points for ten forward but they could also make for good reading and a first point of contact between players and upcoming content.) As stated before, it provides players with a better reason for doing this than they don't have the time for something else and it provides a reasonable level of transparency between announced and shipping content (so, no question about motives.)

That said though they could also use these opportunities for spice and variety, ie. don't just try to improve the TFO per gameplay mechanics and accessibility but use the isolated opportunity to do more crazy/out there things given that this is a special event and the TFO is an established one. Ex. randomized 3rd faction spawns (I'd have tried spawning a baby crystalline entity at low frequencies for funsies) or add huge emphasis on turret deployment. If some of those experimental mechanics work, then that could help inform future TFOs and lead to new avenues of design. If they don't, at least the population got to try something unconventional.
    edited March 2019
    If they plan more reskins
    I doubt they will.

Peril over Pahvo seems like it was quickly made to fill in the gap caused by Personal Edneavor's early release, which left a lack of content for the month of March. Unless a similar situation happens again, I find it unlikely we will see a quick reskin like PoP in the future.

We are supposed to get an updated roadmap this week, so we will see what they have planned then.

Considering it was a change of roadmap that lead to the gap I don't think the second one is going to make a definitive statement on this topic. Further early releases, cut content, or generalized rescheduling could lead to more gaps in future and it would be uncharacteristic of Cryptic to definitely rule out further TFO reskins. They like to have options (whether or not they're actively planning now on using them) and there is a positive argument to make for reskins (ie. TFO updates, opportunities to try new things) if presented as such from the start.

Basically, if you asked Kael on Ten Forward about more reskins I think he's more likely to say "Maybe," "We don't talk about upcoming content," or "It's not something we have any plans for at this time" versus "NEVER AGAIN!!!" (though the devs saying "TRIBBLE it, let's do something else next time" is always an option.)
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User

I wouldn't go that far, "all new TFO" isn't an apt descriptor of Peril Over Pahvo by conventional community vocabulary but I could see that hanging around in the PR material from past events. Knowing Kael's workload (it's a lot) a shortcut leading to miscommunication would be a natural way this could happen. And that's my take: they didn't think it would be as contentious as it has been for some/many players (hence why it only came up in the more casual conversation of Ten Forward Weekly, they opened up easily enough in the freeform format. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this was a perpetrated act, more drifting into a contentious area.)

If they plan more reskins I think they should definitely lead into the reskin aspect and play up the "for future improvements to the old TFO" angle. For example: have a content design blog about the comparative aspects, what went into the old queue, and how they're changing it for the new one (good points for ten forward but they could also make for good reading and a first point of contact between players and upcoming content.) As stated before, it provides players with a better reason for doing this than they don't have the time for something else and it provides a reasonable level of transparency between announced and shipping content (so, no question about motives.)

That said though they could also use these opportunities for spice and variety, ie. don't just try to improve the TFO per gameplay mechanics and accessibility but use the isolated opportunity to do more crazy/out there things given that this is a special event and the TFO is an established one. Ex. randomized 3rd faction spawns (I'd have tried spawning a baby crystalline entity for funsies) or add huge emphasis on turret deployment. If some of those experimental mechanics work, then that could help inform future TFOs and lead to new avenues of design. If they don't, at least the population got to try something unconventional.

I agree i am all for more transparency going forward and that variety is the spice of life. It would be good to expand and try new things and see how it goes.

That being said even if a person has little time do to workload in typing up a patch note, a official post of upcoming content, or even a official list of bugs being looked at some more time should be devoted to its wording.

As given the predilection of a group over reacting i feel it can worsen given the foundry's removal. I hope not but it will i think put more emphasis on the use of words. So going forward with basic and strait forward word usage mite be best for all.

It would not be out of the question to pass said note around and ask for people to help with in the dev's. Regardless time will.
    To be or not to be: B)
    edited March 2019
    As given the predilection of a group over reacting i feel it can worsen given the foundry's removal. I hope not but it will i think put more emphasis on the use of words. So going forward with basic and strait forward word usage mite be best for all.

I think there's lessons learned all around there and ways Cryptic can improve their core interaction with the community. A lot of it falls on Kael as opposed to structural mechanisms so from episode design to TFO events there are better ways for the game to engage with the player base and help to make STO feel like a more shared experience (especially in light of the Sunset.) Their recent emphasis (to me) feels more proscriptive and thus reductive.

That's getting into a separate discussion though so I'll leave it there.
  • shadow#7909 shadow Member Posts: 3 New User
    > @postagepaid said:
    > shadow shadow#7909
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > Ok, I have already started on this, my question is the Anniversary Vouchers going to be on the Lobi store, so I can get the last 80 vouchers I will need to get the Vulcan Scout Ship, since I will not have enough of them by the time it ends (I am on the PS4).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > PS4 anniversary got an extra week because of the scanning mission ballsup so if you only need 80 vouchers thats 2 days between now and the 4th of april.
    >
    > Avoid the lobi store, its way too expensive and way too random to get vouchers from there.

Thank you for your answer, hopefully I make it and I don't have to use The Lobi Store
    Well, I did this TFO with a new Ship last night and despite the dozens and dozens of enemy ships my Mastery ended at about 10% of Tier I. I go to Argala and I am about 60% into Tier III after one run. I kill a few Voth Ships for an Easy Endeavor, run Argala again, and am about 5% into Tier IV.

I ran 'Peril over Pahvo' for today's TFO Commendation and got out of there with about another 3%. Argala and Parein Patrols and I am up at about 95% of Tier IV.

This is a ridiculous amount of Ship Mastery to give out for a TFO. Now you might say that they did it deliberately because there is no cooldown, but you are kidding yourself if you think that the Ship Mastery points will rise when it is no longer Featured and is back with a 30 minute cooldown.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well, I did this TFO with a new Ship last night and despite the dozens and dozens of enemy ships my Mastery ended at about 10% of Tier I. I go to Argala and I am about 60% into Tier III after one run. I kill a few Voth Ships for an Easy Endeavor, run Argala again, and am about 5% into Tier IV.

I ran 'Peril over Pahvo' for today's TFO Commendation and got out of there with about another 3%. Argala and Parein Patrols and I am up at about 95% of Tier IV.

This is a ridiculous amount of Ship Mastery to give out for a TFO. Now you might say that they did it deliberately because there is no cooldown, but you are kidding yourself if you think that the Ship Mastery points will rise when it is no longer Featured and is back with a 30 minute cooldown.
    All the infinite respawn waiting queues have ship XP turned off. It's a big part of what makes them extra useless.

It's like they really want you to literally just sit there and wait for the timer to run out, for all the difference it makes.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

All the infinite respawn waiting queues have ship XP turned off. It's a big part of what makes them extra useless.

It's like they really want you to literally just sit there and wait for the timer to run out, for all the difference it makes.

Gravity Kills is better on ship Mastery than Peril Over Pahvo.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Whose talking about exploiting? Only talking about getting a reasonable number of XP. Maybe the problem isn't the farming, maybe the problem is using a ridiculous technique of infinite respawns.

Really, someone would throw hundreds of ships away for one target? They can't come to terms between creating snowflakes or HP sponges.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns