test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do human federation characters have a height cap of 6'4"?

hightower242#0741 hightower242 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
I'm just wondering, I'm not trying to create a 7 foot tall human captain or bridge officers. Is there some type of restriction, because It seems that other species or created aliens are taller.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    Because humans generally average only in the 5' range? 7 is EXTREMELY rare.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator
    You can stretch it a bit visually by lengthening the neck, torso, arms, and legs, but the height slider won't give any indication how much taller your toon would be. As rattler2 stated, it's based around averages. Aliens on the other hand, could literally be almost any size.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Because they are full of muscles
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Because they are full of muscles
    But will they speak your language? Or just smile and try to hand you a sandwich full of yeast spread?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator
    Hahahahaha :lol:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Yeah I think every human character in Star Trek has been shorter then 192 cm (or so), so even in Trek 6'4'' isn't exactly common so I can see why humans could be hard locked to it.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Anyone taller went into Basketball. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    It's all fun and games until one is dying in a den in Bombay...
  • Options
    > @jonsills said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > Because they are full of muscles
    >
    >
    >
    > But will they speak your language? Or just smile and try to hand you a sandwich full of yeast spread?

They might tell you where they are from, and what characterises their origin, before asking you whether you can hear a weather phenomenon and advise you to seek shelter.

😋
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Because anybody over 1.95m is a genetic augment and was outlawed in the Federation. 1.73m Should be the height cap but obviously some evil supermen snuck through screening.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    It's not just Fed characters; any 'canon' race has the same limitation, except for the feature sliders. Aliens allied with either faction have the height limited to 7', not including the slider adjustment...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    You can stretch it a bit visually by lengthening the neck, torso, arms, and legs, but the height slider won't give any indication how much taller your toon would be. As rattler2 stated, it's based around averages. Aliens on the other hand, could literally be almost any size.

Except 7+ ft. You have to play the slide game to get any taller.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    It's an unfortunate limit if you want to create really tall Humans, though. I had to use AlienGen to make a Spartan-III; a type of Human that's almost universally around 7ft.

Still, I would have to anyway to make them accurate even without considering the height.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    All my Boffs/Characters are generally set to max height (intimidation don't you know). I will also max the Leg and Torso height.

Androids, Aliengen, and Liberated Borg, I find are pretty much the tallest.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    > @nixboox said:
    > If you set the limit at 6'11" then Star Fleet would be populated by everyone being ridiculously tall. Average short people always want to be taller, like how most guys have girl characters with enormous...attributes. Now, the fact that nearly all of our ships look like they ought to be populated by legions of Yao Ming's, under 2 meters is considered average.

Or the "inverted triangle" muscle buffs 😉
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    If you set the limit at 6'11" then Star Fleet would be populated by everyone being ridiculously tall.
    That is such a tired strawman.
  • Options
    If you set the limit at 6'11", then Starfleet would be populated by everyone using whatever height they want. Heaven forbid a 6'10" player wants their character to resemble them in some way...

Heightism in a Star Trek game, what's the world coming to?
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Normal height NPC's like geordi already have issues with getting their head stuck in the top of doors and the revamped DS9 got all the ceilings dropped so that characters of normal height need to duck to avoid the low hanging decorations.

However upping the slider wouldn't cause an influx of overly tall & gangly looking individuals. It'd only be cranked up by a small set who will stand out the same way as the adolescents who think maximum boobage is the only option on a chest slider.
  • Options
    However upping the slider wouldn't cause an influx of overly tall & gangly looking individuals. It'd only be cranked up by a small set who will stand out the same way as the adolescents who think maximum boobage is the only option on a chest slider.
    Especially as anyone who wanted an "overly tall" character could always just use a custom alien.

If anything, the lower limit of 5'6" is far more often in the way of creating realistic-sized character. It's just below the average height for men in the US, and well above the average for women. In other words, the game requires players to have characters of above-average height (unless using custom alien).

Similarly, even the minimum bust size for women is still rather large.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @centaurianalpha said:
    > It's not just Fed characters; any 'canon' race has the same limitation, except for the feature sliders. Aliens allied with either faction have the height limited to 7', not including the slider adjustment...

Gorn get 8'6 or so as their max
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    In the US armed forces (except the Marine Corps, whose standards are more strict), males at application must be no shorter than 60 inches (5 feet), and no taller than 80 inches (6 ft 8 in). Females may be as much as 2 inches shorter (58 inches, or 4 ft 10 in), but have the same maximum. This is due in part to availability of gear to fit, and in part due to suitability for a number of assignments - you have to be tall enough to work the equipment, but short enough to fit into it. Someone taller than 6' 8" aboard, say, an aircraft carrier is going to have a lot of headaches any time they're walking the corridors...

I would assume Starfleet has limitations for similar reasons.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Considering the height restriction is apparently 7'0", the tallest you can make an AlienGen character, barring humans over 6'4" while allowing aliens taller than that would be something of a double standard.

Starfleet isn't supposed to have those.
  • Options
    You know what else is extremely rare? Females with crooked hips but they seem to be very common in this game. ;)

You know complaining about or comparing heights may be considered micro-aggressions that invade a Character's safe place. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Anyone taller went into Basketball. :)

isnt Riker like 6'5?

According to memory alpha, Riker is 6'4"
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_players_in_National_Basketball_Association_history

if the NBA can find some of the tallest people around the world to play for them, then 6 foot 4 is clear not enough. i want my character almost bumping his head on the deck ceiling :D
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    Well, maybe we are going to be like King Frederick the Great of Prussia and recruit or kidnap tall people (6'2" or more) to create the 'The Grand Grenadiers of Potsdam' (but almost universally known as 'The Potsdam Giants' or 'The Long Guys').
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    In the US armed forces (except the Marine Corps, whose standards are more strict), males at application must be no shorter than 60 inches (5 feet), and no taller than 80 inches (6 ft 8 in). Females may be as much as 2 inches shorter (58 inches, or 4 ft 10 in), but have the same maximum. This is due in part to availability of gear to fit, and in part due to suitability for a number of assignments - you have to be tall enough to work the equipment, but short enough to fit into it. Someone taller than 6' 8" aboard, say, an aircraft carrier is going to have a lot of headaches any time they're walking the corridors...

I would assume Starfleet has limitations for similar reasons.
    Cryptic's 5'6" to 6'4" range is very obviously not canon as many characters on TV are shorter than that, especially the women.

And of course, if this limit were because of fitting in equipment, why would they still take aliens outside that range?
This discussion has been closed.