test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spring/Summer Roadmap!

Comments

• sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    So... when we will get some of the sandbox parts of the game back? is it a side project? is it put on hold indefinetly?
    gotta tell you making alt's is not the best thing to do when you invest in a mmo for 8,5 years.
    At least the semi-random exploration missions gave us old players something else then farming dilithium or runing alt's...
    also... im back at the forums... yay.
    also [2]... what is this ships level with you? im curious.
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Cryptic has also talked about how the original post Victory is Life story was going to involve Mirror Leeta, in a plot that would close out her arc, as well as doing a new Borg story arc to make the Borg real end-game enemies again. And they have said they plan to get back to Mirror Leeta's story in the future.
    Yes, it'd be a shame to leave that particular set of balls up in the air. And I imagine, too, that she'd have something to say about a certain pair of temporally displaced guests... one of whom might want to secure her place in the current-day Empire over the Bajoran's cooling corpse.

As for the Borg, it would be interesting to see just how they could be made 'real end-game enemies' once again.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Ugh... why are people hung up on the Borg? We've beaten them so hard they're in full on retreat! And they're an overused enemy in just about all TNG and post TNG era games!

As for the infographic... I am intrigued. I did see the Discovery Connie rendered in STO's engine. Also this Operation Reposte sounds interesting as well, especially showing the Cardenas class. And earn Zen ships by running events? VERY interested to learn more.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Who asked for "ship levels with you"? Do you think that's an improvement? I disagree we need more end game and more content not ways for PWE to make profits. At least look up the quality of life improvements that really matter like fixing maps, bugs, improving PET/R&D tabs and the such.
    Real disappointing infographics IMO.​​

Scaling ships were something that I think the Devs probably have been keeping track of metrics on how scaling ships have been selling in the C-store as well as how many have been seeing use since they expanded it to lock box and event ships.

They're also looking at things from a new standpoint. In the past before scaling ships came out, new players would enter into the game, get started on a their career with a Tier 1 ship, and by the next rank, they'd have to replace because it no longer is able to compete with the enemies. Plus if they find a ship they like early on, it might be a while before they can play with it at endgame if a ship like it does exist.

Now, once it becomes a thing, stuff like the Tier 6 Scimitars and other Tier 6 ships will be available early on for players. Plus, it would get it closer to Star Trek being that you don't see multiple ships being used by one crew in the show.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2019
    interesting stuff, heres hoping the STDconnie is its own zen ship not another 1bill uber elitist POS. T6 risans are overdue, maybe we'll even get a bridge this time?
    Is that a cardenas I see?

some good stuff.... also yes to killy/leeta ultimate cat fight.... then have emperor spock come out an be like 'dem durned kids!' and roflstomp em both

totally have a killy/leeta hair pulling catfight scene in my head atm
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    "Starships level with you." ALL ships? :grey_question:

June sounds interesting. Hopefully not ships I've bought already.

Glad to see a T6 Risian Corvette. It's a fun little ship and looks good. Vorgon ships were ok, but just didn't really seem appropriate for the Risian Summer Event. Two of them hassle Picard when he's on vacation one time. Not a lot of reason for them to be Risian ships, imo. I much preferred the actual Risian 'flavored' ships.
    Ooooo, is that... No, it can't be... Is that the Enterprise as seen in Discovery? Does this mean it will be coming to STO?

I'd have been shocked if it was NOT coming at some point. More a question of when not if. ;)

First time we see Risa was in the episode with the Vorgons who encouraged Picard to go on the scavenger hunt for the Tox Uthat. The Vorgons were time travellers, which tied into the Agents of Yesterday expansion.

From the Star Trek.com database:
    "Tox Uthat
    Also known as a quantum phase inverter. The Tox Uthat was invented by Kal Dano in the twenty-seventh century. It is a palm-sized crystal capable of stopping the nuclear reaction going on within a star. Afraid that the Tox Uthat would be stolen, Dano traveled to the twenty-second century and hid in on the planet Risa. The Tox Uthat became a target of both twenty-seventh century criminals seeking to retrieve it, and twenty-fourth archaeologists who believed in what was regarded as a legendary device. Dr. Samuel Estragon in particular devoted half of his life to trying to locate the Tox Uthat. After he died in 2366, his assistant Vash carried on and succeed in locating the Uthat, but the Ferengi Sovak and two Vorgon felons from the twenty-seventh century also tried to obtain the device. Captain Picard, vacationing on Risa, became involved and eventually destroyed the Tox Uthat to keep it from any unethical persons."

Besides, it was a nice break from Risa ships.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Who asked for "ship levels with you"? Do you think that's an improvement? I disagree we need more end game and more content not ways for PWE to make profits. At least look up the quality of life improvements that really matter like fixing maps, bugs, improving PET/R&D tabs and the such.
    Real disappointing infographics IMO.​​

Actually, it's been asked for a long time. Some of the 'refits' were stopgaps. The "Prototype Light Cruiser" was the prototype for fulfilling this feature. And it was mentioned a while back they were heading in this direction.

The only thing about this for me is that the way ships were made available, it gave me a sense of achievement as my characters advanced in level/rank. Now we just have rank pips for our costumes.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    So where does this leave Romulans? Is May going to be the end of Disc so we can get ships again? or are we looking past July into August at the earliest?
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Is that future guy in the May screenshot?
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    So no actual new places to go, no exploration to replace the foundry content you're going to remove, just ships and the same old events or re skinned existing events? More detail would be great because to be honest I see nothing there for end game vets.

You know if all you're going to do is be a negative nora then maybe you should follow through with your leaving forever messages.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    sch3ff3l wrote: »
    So... when we will get some of the sandbox parts of the game back? is it a side project? is it put on hold indefinetly?
    gotta tell you making alt's is not the best thing to do when you invest in a mmo for 8,5 years.
    At least the semi-random exploration missions gave us old players something else then farming dilithium or runing alt's...
    also... im back at the forums... yay.
    also [2]... what is this ships level with you? im curious.

If you're talking about the foundry as being sandbox parts, that's being shut down and likely not being brought back for the foreseeable future.

Assuming you've been out of the loop, Age of Discovery introduced the idea of scaling ships with a c-store version of the Walker class that scales up to level 30 or Tier 4. They expanded on this by taking it all the way and made the Gagarin and Shran leveling ships. I mean, look at what we have in terms of scaling examples:

- At Tier 1, the Gagarin/Shepard has a base hull of 12,500 which is a little more than the 10,000 that the Miranda has.
    - At Tier 2, the Gagarin has a hull of 18,750 which when compared to something like the Cruiser Refit from the C-store is close to comparable.
    - At Tier 3, the Gagarin has a hull of 25,000 which is comparable to the T3 Excelsior of 26,000
    - At Tier 4, the Gagarin has a hull of 31,250 which is comparable to the T4 Galaxy Refit of 32,500.
    - At Tier 5, the Gagarin has a hull of 37,500 which is comparagle to the T5 Assault Cruiser of 39,000
    - At Tier 6, the Gagarin has a hull anywhere from 43,125 (at level 50) to 56,250 (level 65) which when once again compared to the T6 Assault Cruiser, is comparable in hull strength.

Essentially, in the end, they're making it so that if you want to fly a T6 ship on a newer character, you'll be able to.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    I agree, but the iconic nature of the Borg makes them almost unignorable.

I would really only want another Borg arc just to see Defera and the Borg TFOs revamped/remastered(since those are probably the worst off parts of the game besides a few things like those old Fed-only patrols), and a possible Borg Cooperative faction.

I wouldn't mind seeing the old Borg STFs updated a bit. But the fact remains as of this point in time, the Borg are not the galaxy ending threat they used to be. Everyone knows how to fight them.
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    So where does this leave Romulans? Is May going to be the end of Disc so we can get ships again? or are we looking past July into August at the earliest?

It has been said ad nausium that Romulan ships are being designed. Its just that due to the nature of Discovery and fitting into canon, there can not be any Romulan ships before TOS episode Balance of Terror. So after we finish with the Discovery arc we will see new Romulan and Jem'Hadar designs.
    Is that future guy in the May screenshot?

Mystery guest star maybe?
    The only thing about this for me is that the way ships were made available, it gave me a sense of achievement as my characters advanced in level/rank. Now we just have rank pips for our costumes.

It depends on how everything is handled. Although it could be a bit closer to canon seeing as how Captains don't bounce around ships as often as we do in game. So from an immersion standpoint it would line up a bit more with canon, and when they feel like switching ships they can.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

It has been said ad nausium that Romulan ships are being designed. Its just that due to the nature of Discovery and fitting into canon, there can not be any Romulan ships before TOS episode Balance of Terror. So after we finish with the Discovery arc we will see new Romulan and Jem'Hadar designs.

Right hence my question of is May with the big update going to be the end of Discovery or are we looking at it continuing on beyond July. Or did you just see the words "Romulan" and "ship" and give the carbon copy reply?
    As of right not it looks like the Discovery arc is ending in May. It would appear as though the Summer Event doesn't have anything Discovery related being added to it.

All we can really do is wait and see. But the fact remains, there will be new Romulan ships.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    As of right not it looks like the Discovery arc is ending in May. It would appear as though the Summer Event doesn't have anything Discovery related being added to it.

Cryptic's previously discussed both ongoing DSC arcs (J'ula and Killy) as long term arcs which will eventually have a comparable number of episodes to each as we see in other episode series. After that there's season 2, 3, and so on to cover. The DSC arc definitely isn't ending in May as even if there's a resolution to Killy or J'ula's plot line, the other will continue and there's any number of associated arcs to dive into from there. STO is very much a DSC integrated game now (arguably to the point of simply being referential but that's a broader discussion about worldbuilding and character use) and I think the next major point of punctuation will be the start of the Picard series (for new integrations but much in the same way.)

Also consider that the last two seasonal events featured no new activities. Either that continues and there's nothing big to tease for Risa except the customary store updates (probably DSC themed) or they there is something move involved to tease but with months to go that content may not be ready to show yet (in any form.) In which cases: stock Risa screenshot. I wouldn't read anything into that part of the roadmap at this point.
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    So no actual new places to go, no exploration to replace the foundry content you're going to remove, just ships and the same old events or re skinned existing events? More detail would be great because to be honest I see nothing there for end game vets.

You know if all you're going to do is be a negative nora then maybe you should follow through with your leaving forever messages.

Negative feedback is also feedback. You can let it stand for what it is or engage in productive discussion if so inclined. Either way: telling someone to GTFO for having that negative POV accomplishes nothing productive in any way, shape, or form (because most immediately you're antagonizing their right to a voice in discussion, establishing a polarity between you and the other person which nullifies any constructive message you may have intended. Basically: it just comes off as antagonism to someone who already feels frustrated by the game and that's not a likely route to de-escalation.)

If there's clear a moderation problem, report the post and let the mods make a determination. Otherwise, move along (enjoy the game as you will, others will find an equilibrium of their own) or productively debate the ideas as best you can (maybe there's reconciliation to be had.)

Though to the point: put more emphasis on story, world building, original gameplay, and empowering player creativity and less on skinner-box mechanics isn't exactly the most controversial opinion to have with respect to modern gaming.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    I suppose hoping the Devs will finally update the standard ship Interiors with the newer style they put into the Intro missions many years ago has about the same chance of happening as Risa having sunrises and sunsets this June.

Is it really so bad to hope the Devs will spend the time to go back and finish the work they half-completed years ago rather than continuing to introduce more content that will add to the backlog? I very much enjoy the work they do and the game itself, but when you have the entire Delta Quadrant with the Dyson Spheres just left abandoned without any more development, you wonder if they aren't just continuously chasing the next hype train instead of getting things that seems long overdue done.
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    > @bubblegirl2015 said:
    > Who asked for "ship levels with you"? Do you think that's an improvement? I disagree we need more end game and more content not ways for PWE to make profits. At least look up the quality of life improvements that really matter like fixing maps, bugs, improving PET/R&D tabs and the such.
    > Real disappointing infographics IMO.​​

Yeah, looks like my summer road map has me heading away from STO. I’m checking out.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I knew it was going to be the corvette, I'm glad it is not another Vorgon ship.
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User

It is disheartening to see that your bitterness over the closure of Foundry has blinded you to seeing anything positive coming out of STO. It doesn't seem to matter what the announcement is.

In the middle of the page *** taking up a third of the space *** there is news of "Major Update" in May.

As a veteran player you should recognize this as the standard mid-season STO update, and that the last 4 mid-season updates has included new mission content and an update to the play of STO. This May release was already revealed in the road map released in Oct 2018 which identified it as part 3 of the Discovery saga.

The constant jump to the negative view - is literally blinding you. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the the closure of the Foundry, but I have accepted it and moved on. Imagine how much happier you would be if you transferred your time spent being angry into time doing something enjoyable and constructive.

You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    duasyn wrote: »
    "Starships level with you."Vorgon ships were ok, but just didn't really seem appropriate for the Risian Summer Event.
    Vorgons were involved in a particular TNG episode based on Risa along with a Ferengi and there was a Ferengi ship available for one summer besides the Vorgon ships, of course they were appropriate. ;)

Post edited by avoozuul on
  • potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Corvette, very glad to see that, Might get me behind the keyboard again. I really hope it is boosting some Pilot Maneuvers.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket

• luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Cardenas Class in April? Probably the only Disco ship I'll actually buy, assuming that it has a good 'modern' model and can be used for space barbie with the Cheyenne.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019

It is disheartening to see that your bitterness over the closure of Foundry has blinded you to seeing anything positive coming out of STO. It doesn't seem to matter what the announcement is.

In the middle of the page *** taking up a third of the space *** there is news of "Major Update" in May.

As a veteran player you should recognize this as the standard mid-season STO update, and that the last 4 mid-season updates has included new mission content and an update to the play of STO. This May release was already revealed in the road map released in Oct 2018 which identified it as part 3 of the Discovery saga.

I think that's a little presumptuous though. Episodes since AOD have pulled back from both narrative and structural complexity. They've been polished but very straight forward missions. For those that have been playing STO a long time, there's the curiosity to see where the story is going but that only provides so much engagement (particularly when told through easily digestible missions.) More is required than the base fact that narrative content hasn't been abandoned in favor of event grinds to make a positive statement about the game (diminishing returns per a repeated format will eventually nullify that.)

Leveling ships should be a good update, but that's a long way to making a statement that STO will remain a capable platform for empowering player creativity (and will in some way make up through long term improvements what we're losing in April.) As is, what else there is here seems to be following with emerging trends in F2P MMO development (from Tera and Warframe I think I know what's coming in June.) In the context of losing that Foundry...that's pretty terrible news. Something like that needs more of a structural adjustment in content strategies and systems. Players were using the Foundry to stay engaged with the game, either through the scope and variety of Foundry output, the creativity on display, the connections made, or the process of creation itself. Cryptic can't replicate the entire Foundry themselves but they can do with zones and episodes something of what players were going to Foundry missions for (ultimately, it wouldn't take much.) Instead though, they seem to be doubling down on event grinds to increase rates of player retention (holding the line, as it were) and sacrificing that arm of the community through simple niche removal (no adjustment, no lessons learned per their format, what can be done with it, and how people most constructively [and passionately] engage with it.) The most notable development here (for innovation on the format) is free c-store ships with event participation, which isn't exactly looking to the game and seeing where its next horizon lies.

That...again is incredibly difficult to take optimistically, STO's taking hits but responding in ways which seem to be directed towards conservation as opposed to recovery.

PS. argue with the ideas, don't attack someone's perceived motivations and presume that they're simply "blind" to what you see.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    So where does this leave Romulans?quote]
    Forgotten/ignored.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    But the fact remains, there will be new Romulan ships.

believe it when I finally see one
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Still not making one of those toons. Since I can't put in my obligatory insult of what I think of the show.
  • savain75savain75 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Cryptic's previously discussed both ongoing DSC arcs (J'ula and Killy) as long term arcs which will eventually have a comparable number of episodes to each as we see in other episode series.

The J'Ula and Killy arcs are both set up in such a way that they can continue without simply being a Discovery pastiche. If (and this is a BIG "if," but bear with me) episodes and/or ships return to the established 25th-century aesthetic after May, Age of Discovery can end while the arcs continue, without Discovery shilling. Seriously, what are our little villains doing if not acclimating to what is, to them, new technology?

The Age of Discovery tag never made much sense anyway, since you're thrown out of the Discovery era after only two missions, which is probably why Killy's arc was released as Mirror of Discovery and Part 3 is now being touted as Rise of Discovery, even though both are called Age of Discovery on the Fall roadmap.

The word "rise" in Part 3's title does lend itself to speculation . . .

• potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Cardenas Class in April? Probably the only Disco ship I'll actually buy, assuming that it has a good 'modern' model and can be used for space barbie with the Cheyenne.

So that is the Cardenas, I haven't watched any Discovery, but really like the look of her. I'd love if they gave the treatment to her to allow using the Cheyenne, Dakota, Stargazer, Constellation class parts, but even without she is spiffy.

Haven't made or played much since Dominion content, so behind on a few purchases. I'd grab the Cardenas, New Orleans, Nerendra/Vor'ral Support Cruiser Pack off the top of my head.

I will admit in terms of Discovery ship I kind of like the Shran as well, in it's breaking from the norm in a Defiant like style and my Fed Tact is Andorian.

But Cardenas & T6 Risian Corvette, yes that could get me back behind get me my keyboard.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket