test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rise of the TFO trolls

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    OK, I wasn't around in the before times so didn't know. I was making a point about right now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @nixboox said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > Also, Omega Rep doesn't require the Implants to buy the Space Weapon Set. The only Rep that has Elite Marks that doesn't.
    >
    > Not anymore...but before there WAS an Omega Rep you needed those implants to get the sets...it was a lot of them too.

I'm not talking about the Shield/Impulse/Deflector but the Console/Torpedo/Cutting Beam.

Let me see if I can't explain this to you - there was a time BEFORE the Omega Rep existed. In that time BEFORE the Omega Rep existed you had to buy the special Borg pieces from a vendor on DS9...and a vendor on a ship near a Borg transwarp conduit.

You had to have those Borg Chips to get them...and you needed LOTS of those chips.
    And the optional was a handful of bonus chips that paled in comparison to the boss loot.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I don't remember anything exciting in boss loot - lots of blue and purple items...but nothing spectacular. And, I think the loot was something you had to "roll" for to see who'd get it. There weren't "handfuls" of chips, there was usually just one - maybe two - but you had to complete the optionals. That's why people would leave the game if an optional failed...nothing worth sticking around for.

Which doesn't apply today as we always get a neural processor for a completed run. All we get for optionals is a few extra marks.
    So why are we still hung up on that right now?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @nixboox said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > Also, Omega Rep doesn't require the Implants to buy the Space Weapon Set. The only Rep that has Elite Marks that doesn't.
    >
    > Not anymore...but before there WAS an Omega Rep you needed those implants to get the sets...it was a lot of them too.

I'm not talking about the Shield/Impulse/Deflector but the Console/Torpedo/Cutting Beam.

Let me see if I can't explain this to you - there was a time BEFORE the Omega Rep existed. In that time BEFORE the Omega Rep existed you had to buy the special Borg pieces from a vendor on DS9...and a vendor on a ship near a Borg transwarp conduit.

You had to have those Borg Chips to get them...and you needed LOTS of those chips.
    And the optional was a handful of bonus chips that paled in comparison to the boss loot.
    I don't remember anything exciting in boss loot - lots of blue and purple items...but nothing spectacular. And, I think the loot was something you had to "roll" for to see who'd get it. There weren't "handfuls" of chips, there was usually just one - maybe two - but you had to complete the optionals. That's why people would leave the game if an optional failed...nothing worth sticking around for.
    You rolled to see who'd get the bonus from the optional. Each player had their own boss loot which had a chance of being good, a low chance.

The reason people bailed when the optional failed on normal back then was because they were trying to get the accolades and didn't really care about mission completion. Normal couldn't give you what you needed for Mk12 gear and collecting Mk10 wasn't really worth it. So skip it and do the higher difficulty.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I still fail to see how long retired mechanics from pre rep days have anything to do with the leaver penalty.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Seems to me that you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Drop it and move on.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    No, that's just not true. You had to complete all the optionals in order to get the McGuffin. If you didn't then you just got dilithium and gear. This was long before there was an Event Reputation to go along with it.
    The optionals didn't affect the end reward even pre-S7. The optional reward could contain 1 EDC (I don't remember it it was guaranteed or random, and nobody saw it as important enough to even put on the wiki) that the whole team would have to roll Need&Greed over. It was even worse peanuts than the marks the optional's worth now.

The end reward back then was dilithium, 1 EDC for Normal 2 for Elite (and double during bonus event), some random gear (that was quite a bit more spectacular than similar rewards are now, since it was one of the only ways to get Mk12 weapons), plus a chance at the unique random drop which was the shiny everyone really wanted. And you didn't need to do the optional for any of it.
    I think we were able to get the Science Borg officer if we completed the Infected ground mission...with all optionals.

Actually the Borg BOff was tied to an accolade on Kitomer Ground. All you had to was walk into one of those conversion things you have to blow up, and die. Boom! Accolade earned, Borg BOff available.

Yes! Now I remember, you did have to commit suicide on that level to get it. But I think you had to finish the level too.

By the time you're able to get that accolade... you're close enough to the end you might as well finish. Its still the same now. You just have to pick the BOff up from a different location. I believe the Dilithium Store under the reclaim tab if I recall.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    "Kids these days..." I'm fairly certain I said drop it and move on. You're no longer discussing the topic of the thread. You're derailing it for an argument that has no bearing.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • powskierpowskier Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    It's funny what makes some mad

I don't mind playing w lower DpS players-they are not trolls usually

Really shouldn't be to concerned with other players ,unless they are afk and the ships inactive/

or the super low lvl's trying advanced ,who die in 1-2 shots..that's annoying > it's hard to fight against the whole tfo ,because the ally players keep blowing up

Honestly ,the Super High DpS ers who link their damage and talk smack as they log off ,are by far the most poisonous personalties..

It's just a game/ and noob dps posters who make those claims ; seem to forget > dps is a range bias stat
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    While this doesn't come to a surprise anymore, I think things are getting a little too far.
    This is a screenshot - sorry for the white part, btw, was not in the mood to be "accurate" when cutting out only the relative part of the screen - of the mission tracker while waiting for the final stage of the First Contact queue to start (I've covered the name of the participants, mine included even though I was actually the only one to complete it, except for the guy on Red that started moving around at around 1 minute before the "scavenge" part ended):

jtt55u.png

As you can see - and as I said before - I was the only one to actually complete the event, while another guy scavenged for a single piece. All the rest did absolutely nothing but stand in front of their workbench.
    Now, I know this event is not "much", compared to things like a featured stf or even a normal queue, but I think that just makes it worse. Why should this people get the same reward, small as it is, as those that do it legitimately?
    And this is just one of many examples. I'm not even reporting people anymore, because it's clearly useless.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    While this doesn't come to a surprise anymore, I think things are getting a little too far.
    This is a screenshot - sorry for the white part, btw, was not in the mood to be "accurate" when cutting out only the relative part of the screen - of the mission tracker while waiting for the final stage of the First Contact queue to start (I've covered the name of the participants, mine included even though I was actually the only one to complete it, except for the guy on Red that started moving around at around 1 minute before the "scavenge" part ended):

jtt55u.png

As you can see - and as I said before - I was the only one to actually complete the event, while another guy scavenged for a single piece. All the rest did absolutely nothing but stand in front of their workbench.
    Now, I know this event is not "much", compared to things like a featured stf or even a normal queue, but I think that just makes it worse. Why should this people get the same reward, small as it is, as those that do it legitimately?
    And this is just one of many examples. I'm not even reporting people anymore, because it's clearly useless.​​
    They don't get the same reward, they get a much higher and better reward. You by running around are the one getting the smaller reward.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    They don't get the same reward, they get a much higher and better reward. You by running around are the one getting the smaller reward.

So what, should I just stay put and cave to the "afk god"? I've lost count of how many times I've lost the optional on PoP - on characters that could've really used all the marks from the run, 'cause they're still getting their reputations to Tier 5 at least - because we had 2, one time even 3!, people going afk after killing the first group.
    And yet, higher than mine or not, they still get rewarded for doing nothing!
    On the other hand, people at level 20 that queue for any stf - like RIM, which is available for characters 10+(!!) - might get an AFK penalty for, simply put, not being able to keep up with much higher level players they get grouped with.
    How is that fair to anyone?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Here is the thing, and this won't be a popular opinion.. but nonetheless..

You should relax and learn not to care.

I am not one that usually advocates for AFK'ing events. I understand why people do it, but I am against it primarily because doing so handicaps other players and makes them have to work harder to compensate for you. In this event however, another player doing nothing has absolutely zero effect on you.. none. If anything, it might even make it easier because less competition for parts.

You should learn to worry less about what others are doing and more about yourself. If their actions are making things tougher for you or the rest of the team then that's another issue, but in this case it doesn't hurt anyone at all. Getting all bent out of shape about it strikes me as rather petty to be honest. If you don't want to AFK it, then don't.. but getting upset over others doing it when it's 100% harmless seems silly.

Relax.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    You should learn to worry less about what others are doing and more about yourself. If their actions are making things tougher for you or the rest of the team then that's another issue, but in this case it doesn't hurt anyone at all. Getting all bent out of shape about it strikes me as rather petty to be honest. If you don't want to AFK it, then don't.. but getting upset over others doing it when it's 100% harmless seems silly.

Relax.

The point, for this particular event at least, is not that they harm me in any way by doing nothing.
    After all, you said yourself: less competition for parts if they're just standing there.
    The point is that they are getting rewarded for that: just standing there. It's not fair and it shouldn't be like that.
    You may think me petty all you want, but the fact remain.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

This discussion has been closed.