test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i can't tell if it looks good or not, because it's TOO FORKING DARK TO SEE ANYTHING!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    i can't tell if it looks good or not, because it's TOO FORKING DARK TO SEE ANYTHING!

/unexpectedgoodplace​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I suppose that in regards to Discovery, I'm somewhat of an ostrich with my head stuck in the sand waiting for the day that this aberration passes. I've given it a fair shake having seen about half of the episodes of each season and the best that I can say is that it is a hot mess of show that seems dead set and determined to perpetually skew as far away from the basics of Star Trek as is possible. The actor playing Christopher Pike is solid and I like him, but that just makes me wonder why after having had Captain Archer on Enterprise that they opted to cram another inane TOS prequel down our throats, but also just avoid giving us Pike's years on THE ENTERPRISE along with Lt. Spock and Number One, etc? That would have been a much better idea, even with all of the upgraded CGI bells and whistles that this series offers.

Mostly the cast is an abomination of characters that are either annoying or not terribly interesting.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I'm enjoying the show a lot more now that it's becoming more focused on an actual Trek story and less focused on "quirky" characters who don't behave like Starfleet officers.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The actor playing Christopher Pike is solid and I like him, but that just makes me wonder why after having had Captain Archer on Enterprise that they opted to cram another inane TOS prequel down our throats, but also just avoid giving us Pike's years on THE ENTERPRISE along with Lt. Spock and Number One, etc? That would have been a much better idea, even with all of the upgraded CGI bells and whistles that this series offers.

So you don't want a TOS prequel but do what a prequel starring Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701?

Gosh, I wonder why people have this view of Trekkies as being impossible to please.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    The actor playing Christopher Pike is solid and I like him, but that just makes me wonder why after having had Captain Archer on Enterprise that they opted to cram another inane TOS prequel down our throats, but also just avoid giving us Pike's years on THE ENTERPRISE along with Lt. Spock and Number One, etc? That would have been a much better idea, even with all of the upgraded CGI bells and whistles that this series offers.

So you don't want a TOS prequel but do what a prequel starring Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701?

Gosh, I wonder why people have this view of Trekkies as being impossible to please.​​

I think you are intentionally misunderstanding,Artan, it's not a black/white or either/or situation, he's discussing preferences.

aka he would PREFER not to have a prequel, but IF it has to be a Prequel, he would prefer Pike's Enterprise over the Burnham Show.

now do you get it?

At least we are getting the Pike's Discovery / Burnham Show.

I think you are intentionally misunderstanding,Artan, it's not a black/white or either/or situation, he's discussing preferences.

aka he would PREFER not to have a prequel, but IF it has to be a Prequel, he would prefer Pike's Enterprise over the Burnham Show.

now do you get it?

Right on. I get disagreeing with someone, but don't pretend they are saying something they aren't actually saying.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Gosh, I wonder why people have this view of Trekkies as being impossible to please.

now do you get it?

Right on. I get disagreeing with someone, but don't pretend they are saying something they aren't actually saying.

You can't have a preference for something you don't want. To not only have that preference but to have detailed it like that means you do want it. You may want it less but you don't not want it.

You either don't want or prequel or you do. It's a work of fiction, if you don't want it you simply stop watching it. If you then go on to detail what you do want you've expressed your interest in a prequal. The only way you get to continue to not want a prequel is to stop watching.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited March 2019
    You can't have a preference for something you don't want.

If I say I would rather have a stroke than a heart attack or cancer, it does not mean I want to have a stroke. I means that out of all bad options I might pick one for certain reasons (see next response below).
    To not only have that preference but to have detailed it like that means you do want it. You may want it less but you don't not want it.

Major or minor stroke/heart attack? What type of cancer? No, specific details again do not mean I want any of those things to happen.

Sometimes in life (and especially on the internet) you say something that is wrong. We have all done it, and you did it in this thread. Just deal with it and move on instead of going on some crusade when the end result isn't going to change.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, regardless of what anyone here thinks of it, Discovery took third place in this Top 10 most wanted shows in the US.
    Link?

Star Trek:Discovery has not trended on social media for several weeks. I'm curious to know what methods they used to determine "most wanted" if most people are not talking about it.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    Well, regardless of what anyone here thinks of it, Discovery took third place in this Top 10 most wanted shows in the US.
    Link?

Star Trek:Discovery has not trended on social media for several weeks. I'm curious to know what methods they used to determine "most wanted" if most people are not talking about it.

Well, if it's Rotten Tomatoes...

Honestly if it's any type of Entertainment Journalism it's methods must be called into question.

I don't begrudge anyone for enjoying something I don't. Lots of people love American Idol and the Voice, but those shows aren't for me and the fact that a lot of people watch them doesn't indicate quality to me.

That said, I will reiterate that I am enjoying S2 a lot. Pike is as good as it gets and the annoying characters are getting less annoying for the most part.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I agree. What others like is not up to me. I'm more on about how Entertainment Journalism seems to be for sale.

I, too, like Mount in the role. The only issue I have is that, as captain, he should not let subordinates steamroll him. It's one thing to welcome the input, quite another to interrupt.

I do hope we get to know some of the bridge crew better. S2 has been a bit better about that and I hope they go further.
    I do hope we get to know some of the bridge crew better. S2 has been a bit better about that and I hope they go further.
    I'm not sure you should ask for more character development. It appears to be hazardous to a character's health.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    I'm not sure you should ask for more character development. It appears to be hazardous to a character's health.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

"Oh hey, they're giving the cyborg some development. Wow, I'm actually starting to sympathise and relate to-- wait! What?! No, why--?! Why did you blast her out the airlock? She was just getting good!"

Otherwise known as: the Enterprise Season 4 effect.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    "Oh hey, they're giving the cyborg some development. Wow, I'm actually starting to sympathise and relate to-- wait! What?! No, why--?! Why did you blast her out the airlock? She was just getting good!"
    Don't worry. She'll get resurrected by the mycelial network. If not, just raise a stink on Twitter until the writers agree to bring her back.
    Ugh. I don't want to see Burnham as a Captain. Martin-Green is just not good at acting, at least not in tjis role. I really don't enjoy her screen time...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Apparently the end of this season is going to be pretty significant as far as explaining how discovery fits in with established canon and the future:

Interviewer: Let’s talk about canon, if Patrick Stewart as Picard on his new show pulls up his computer, will all the events we have seen on Star Trek: [Discovery]…

Alex: You are asking me a very sneaky question right now, and I’m not going to answer it. I know what you are doing, and tell you what, I will answer it for you at the end of the season. Is that fair? I don’t want to ruin it.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/26/interview-alex-kurtzman-on-future-of-star-trek-discovery-section-31-lower-decks-and-more/

We are entirely aware of everyone’s questions and criticisms; I’ve read everything, and I see where everyone’s like, ‘Well, the spore drive never existed!’ and ‘What, Discovery was never around!’ and all of those things, we’re totally aware. You will get an answer.

I think that the last few episodes will really close the circle for people. If we’ve done our job, what was on the page … I haven’t seen them yet, but what was on the page in the scripts, closes the circle; it answers the questions that are lingering and remaining for people of how we fit in. And I believe very strongly that it will leave people satisfied. … As someone who cares about continuity, to some degree, I was like, ‘If this doesn’t make people happy, I don’t know what else we can do.’

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/26/kurtzman-you-will-get-an-answer-to-your-questions-in-the-star-trek-discovery-season-2-finale/

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    > @artan42 said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=107764&p3=&qry=&mobile=off&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjQMm6xiyA1A2ORhpLTpaGU6GDliQ
    >
    > TRIBBLE appears to be popular in Germany .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > DSC. No other series is prefixed with the initials ST so there's no reason to do so for DSC, and look stupid to boot as your edgy acronym is censored.

I like Star Trek Discovery, but seriously have a sense of humour about the acronym, it's funny, not edgy .
    Strategema
    > @angrytarg said:
    > Ugh. I don't want to see Burnham as a Captain. Martin-Green is just not good at acting, at least not in tjis role. I really don't enjoy her screen time...

I would have agreed with you for much of season one but her acting and emotional has been some of the best I have ever seen in Star Trek for season 2.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=107764&p3=&qry=&mobile=off&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjQMm6xiyA1A2ORhpLTpaGU6GDliQ
    >
    > TRIBBLE appears to be popular in Germany .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > DSC. No other series is prefixed with the initials ST so there's no reason to do so for DSC, and look stupid to boot as your edgy acronym is censored.

I like Star Trek Discovery, but seriously have a sense of humour about the acronym, it's funny, not edgy .

It's lazy criticism and dismissal. Same as naming the Kelvin Timeline trilogy after the director of only two thirds of it.

It is not done for any of the other series so any abbreviations used other than the official ones (or MAs version using VOY and DIS) are used out of ignorance or edginess.

#TASforSTO

It's lazy criticism and dismissal. Same as naming the Kelvin Timeline trilogy after the director of only two thirds of it.

It is not done for any of the other series so any abbreviations used other than the official ones (or MAs version using VOY and DIS) are used out of ignorance or edginess.

Yes, it's silly. It's also silly to let something so minor upset you. (not you specifically, but anyone who IS upset by it).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Strategema
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > > @artan42 said:
    > > lordgyor wrote: »
    > >
    > > https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=107764&p3=&qry=&mobile=off&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjQMm6xiyA1A2ORhpLTpaGU6GDliQ
    > >
    > > TRIBBLE appears to be popular in Germany .
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > DSC. No other series is prefixed with the initials ST so there's no reason to do so for DSC, and look stupid to boot as your edgy acronym is censored.
    >
    > I like Star Trek Discovery, but seriously have a sense of humour about the acronym, it's funny, not edgy .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's lazy criticism and dismissal. Same as naming the Kelvin Timeline trilogy after the director of only two thirds of it.
    >
    > It is not done for any of the other series so any abbreviations used other than the official ones (or MAs version using VOY and DIS) are used out of ignorance or edginess.

Did miss the part where I said I liked Discovery, I already like Season 2 of Discovery more then I liked the first half of any Star Trek series except for DS9, the greatest TV show in Television history.

I'm not a hater, but funny is funny. I know its not how the aconym is supposed, but when you her the words Star Trek Discovery, its what pops into the mind.
    > @angrytarg said:
    > Ugh. I don't want to see Burnham as a Captain. Martin-Green is just not good at acting, at least not in tjis role. I really don't enjoy her screen time...

I would have agreed with you for much of season one but her acting and emotional has been some of the best I have ever seen in Star Trek for season 2.

Your opinion may very well differ, that's okay. I find her still terrible, she's overacting in all the bad ways of Shatner, but with none of the redeeming qualities in my opinion. Her blank staring, the head tilting, her "on the verge of tears" face. I really, really can not even pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > > @artan42 said:
    > > lordgyor wrote: »
    > >
    > > https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=107764&p3=&qry=&mobile=off&xid=25657,15700019,15700186,15700191,15700248,15700253&usg=ALkJrhjQMm6xiyA1A2ORhpLTpaGU6GDliQ
    > >
    > > TRIBBLE appears to be popular in Germany .
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > DSC. No other series is prefixed with the initials ST so there's no reason to do so for DSC, and look stupid to boot as your edgy acronym is censored.
    >
    > I like Star Trek Discovery, but seriously have a sense of humour about the acronym, it's funny, not edgy .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's lazy criticism and dismissal. Same as naming the Kelvin Timeline trilogy after the director of only two thirds of it.
    >
    > It is not done for any of the other series so any abbreviations used other than the official ones (or MAs version using VOY and DIS) are used out of ignorance or edginess.

Did miss the part where I said I liked Discovery, I already like Season 2 of Discovery more then I liked the first half of any Star Trek series except for DS9, the greatest TV show in Television history.

I'm not a hater, but funny is funny. I know its not how the aconym is supposed, but when you her the words Star Trek Discovery, its what pops into the mind.

Did you miss the part where I never mentioned your views on the show at all?​​

#TASforSTO

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Link?

Well, if it's Rotten Tomatoes...

Honestly if it's any type of Entertainment Journalism it's methods must be called into question.

Could care less about Rotten Tomatoes.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Red Alert
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't want to see Burnham as a Captain. Martin-Green is just not good at acting, at least not in tjis role. I really don't enjoy her screen time...

Wonder how they gonna make her save the universe when in the captain's chair.

I remember a YT comment that fit perfectly:

How does Michael Burnham change a lightbulb?

She holds up the bulb, stands still, and the universe revolves around her. >_>
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.