test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Peril over Pahvo!

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Episodes need to have decent writing and be relatively bug free to promote replayability though. Neither of those are in great supply in sto.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    It should have been called "Featured queue: Dranuur Gauntlet". That's what it is. A carbon copy of said queue.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    ok copy paste of draanur gauntlet.. thats defnitly disapointing
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Yep - copy paste and new name.
    Still, at least the armor looks interesting.
  • thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    I was so excited for this after the unique ground TFO we got last go around.
    Now, I am monumentally disappointed in this reskinned cut and paste ..../sadpanda
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    Fatal Error: Patch Server Connection Error: The connection was idle for too long
    Yep, this is a fun queue. I like watching this all the time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Well... on the bright side... doesn't look like we will be dealing with Vaadwaur, Tzenkethi, or Heralds in this version.

But I do feel kinda disappointed there wasn't something a bit more unique about this one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Starbase 1 is a bit more interesting that Starbase 24 as we also have something to defend.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Can starbase one actually be damaged or destroyed?

This "new" one is just a boring, dull, bland copy of an old STF with the cryptics characteristicaly lazy copy pasting that missed the freighter or other generic NPC ship to defend.

Van zyl says we get a choice of satellite upgrades but really its just a case of whoever gets there first because theres no actual choice beyond yes or no.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So, just played the 'new TFO'.. I am going to try and keep this within the bounds of forum rules.

What a complete and total disgrace. Seriously, the Development team should be embarrassed with themselves. This is the most lazy, sloppy, half hearted attempt at passing off 'new' content that I have seen maybe ever.

This map is a copy paste of Dranuur just in super easy mode and with more time gates. Honestly, this just feels like a cash grab to try and encourage people toward the buy out option. It definitely worked on me, I cashed in Dilithium though to get the 10 token buy out. This mission is mind numbingly terrible and expecting someone to play it 14 times is just ridiculous.

This is a new low for Cryptic.. this TFO is an absolute joke. And don't give me that line about other stuff they have done, I have liked the vast majority of the Discovery Content so far, but it doesn't excuse this. It would have been much much better to just do nothing then it was to copy/paste an already existing queue and try and pass it off as new content.

To say this is disappointing is a huge understatement.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    If y'all watched the livestream last night, then you'd have known going in that it was a reskin of Dranuur Gauntlet, as Kael said as much. Just FYI.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Meh, it's a waiting mission, like many before it. As waiting missions go there's a lot worse than Dranuur Gauntlet. Sure, copypasting it is lame, might as well just have put the event token in the original, but whatever.

I gotta do my daily Admiralty somewhere. May as well be sitting in line for an event token at the same time.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I know a 'protect the planet' type of thing doesn't lend itself to being wildly innovative, but... it looks to be nearly 90% identical to the Dranuur Gauntlet. So the new TFO is a reskin like the new ship. Not the best work Cryptic has done.
    The stuck in a rock "feature" from the ground mission is also available in space thanks to the engineered turrets shield which can spawn itself inside your ship.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Expected something new. Got re-hashed Dranuur Gauntlet with different enemies. I should have known better.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    thehn wrote: »
    I was so excited for this after the unique ground TFO we got last go around.
    Now, I am monumentally disappointed in this reskinned cut and paste ..../sadpanda
    Pahvo Dissension was just a reskin of Breaking the Planet.

All of the Discovery TFOs have been reskins
    -Defense of Starbase 1 = Starbase 24
    -Battle at the Binary Stars = Slowing the Expeditionary Force
    -Pahvo Dissension = Breaking the Planet

That's borderline misinformation there, son. There's conceptual similarities with the format of each but the mechanics are bespoke for the other TFO's in AOD (up to new objective mechanics.) By no plausible means did they simply change mobs and assets out from these ancient TFO's and utilize existing structure to populate new content. Let's more accurately define reskin: ie. changing the skin. The underlying implication is that the rest of the body remains intact.

Dranuur Gauntlet to Peril over Pahvo: Reskin, they have literally replace assets to create this TFO (with minor tweaks but key word there is minor)

Starbase 24 to Defense of Starbase One: Analogy

If y'all watched the livestream last night, then you'd have known going in that it was a reskin of Dranuur Gauntlet, as Kael said as much. Just FYI.

Bit of feedback for Cryptic on this point: calling it "Pahvo Gauntlet" might have helped folks set their expectations to what was being planned. Doesn't have the alliteration but it would have been more up front with the content on offer. If similar TFO's are planned in future it might be well to promote them as a special variants and focus the minor tweaks on adding spice/variety as opposed to optimization passes on mechanics.

Ex. for Pahvo's Penultimate Peril: have invading Klingons but random terran spawns (also hostile to said Klingons) to throw off the gameplay pattern. Compensate then with having only two rounds, the initial one-sided phase then full three sided (with Terran V. Klingons adding a facet players can strategize around. Ie. if these guys are busy, players can refocus to help flagging sides [up until the NPC's sort out their differences].

Even within the constraints of having to make a TFO to fill a scheduling hole there's more you can do to mix things up (and also tell side stories that might not be available with the main arc. Ex. defending [insert faction here which isn't DSC themed] from DSC Terran/Klingon aggression.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    I was bored in the extreme.

I was planing on quiting STO come the day of the Foundry sunset, this may well move that date up.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    felisean wrote: »
    ok copy paste of draanur gauntlet.. thats defnitly disapointing
    Even more annoying is the continued nonsense of the main satellites being explicitly immune to healing. A foolish decision in my opinion which lacks no in-universe justification whatsoever.
    I'm happy with the fact I don't have to worry about facing Vaadwaur, Tzenkethi, or Heralds though.
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I'm also in the group of annoyed that I'm unable to heal main satellites being a thing still. Kind of annoyed over all a rehash of Gauntlet. But same time they could have removed the normal Gauntlet while this one was up. They could have at least added some NPC support. Random if Fed or Klingon Aligned. This would have enabled them to do the same for the Dranuur one by making it call for Support NPCs of Ferengi, Lukari, Kentari, Cardassian, and Deferi on re-introducing the Gauntlet at the end of the Pahvo event.

A positive change they did though: the enemies spawn in two random spots(at least on the end satellites) vs constantly on top of their original spawn. So you can focus on the Dreadnaught with less issue of assaulted from everything.
    Pahvo Dissension was just a reskin of Breaking the Planet.

All of the Discovery TFOs have been reskins
    -Defense of Starbase 1 = Starbase 24
    -Battle at the Binary Stars = Slowing the Expeditionary Force
    -Pahvo Dissension = Breaking the Planet

Are you trollin'?

1: Can't see how Starbase 1 is a reskin, as it was defend the 4 ships while eliminating the assault. While Starbase 24 is literally just kill x number of enemies. Only time we defended a ship was when after we would board SB24 for the ground part, which they removed.
    2: BABS...yeah I can't see it because only common thing is blow up Klingon ships. The escape pod rescue? sorry that was a Daily tacked on to StEF and only for 4 Runabouts. Also had a ground/onboard mission, that they removed. The task force operation also had some issue with particle effects when doing the portion to destroy the carriers.
    3: Pahvo Dissension does not equal Breaking the Planet, which had multiple things to do. Only common thing was respawning enemies.
    Side note, Breaking the Planet and Slowing the Expeditionary Force were collectively "Klingon Scout Force", to the point that the planet that has crack in half is the one you do on ground, and see in space; much like Ker'rat and 2 Ground War Zones Otha and Qay’ghun are actually same planet and system but kept separate due to however they coded the game and issues.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    1st run and I had this feeling of deja vu like I've played this mission before, Peril of Pahvo don't you guys mean Drancuur Gauntlet. Its the same TFO.

Rather lame.

Also noticed yet again no xp for NPC kills. Why the duck create starship masteries that need xp to level and then not give xp in TFO's forcing players to play the same patrol mission over and over.
    Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Umm...that's nice...but how does that make them doing a copy and paste job any better that they said so before hand?!? A bad job is a bad job. It doesn't matter if they say they are gonna do it before hand.

Exactly, just because they announced before the release that they were being sloppy and lazy, I fail to see how that makes it ok.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I had a particular thought from the initial announcement. The thought that Max had in Fury Road, when he made the hand gesture and said "That's bait."

I thought about it, but it looks like this is another TFO where there will be an influx of premades to lazy train their way through. Nice of them to make good on the Lukari mentality, and RECYCLE, REDUCE, REUSE. Timegates and infinite spawns, oh my!

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

10403200_10155147300160655_2686240223890635799_n_zpsihhljqmc.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    I did this new TFO today and was hoping for something more original than a reskin of Dranuur Gauntlet.

But then again, this is Cryptic, and it seems that, "less (originality)" is "more (copy/paste)" is their preferred modus operandi.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix