test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Wars Girl discussing Captain Marvel

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Attacking the Person=the go-to method for activist culture when they fail to achieve a clean win with the public. Mud-slinging is a classic tactic of electoral politics and rabid sports-fandom, and those two things have become dominant in the pop culture, which has also adopted the language of war and fanaticism over the stupidest and most petty of differences. Is it any wonder that people go straight to Petty tactics?

We sure as hell see a lot of THAT on these forums.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Eh. Saw the movie in the theater a couple Saturdays ago. My best description is "aggressively okay".

It's a by-the-numbers superhero origin flick that you can tell REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be the next Black Panther.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I've lost complete interest , good or bad in this movie, but people are still obsessed with it.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I guess I'm snarkier about even seeing "Captain Marvel" because I remember the Monica Rambeau version-and she was the best version, imho (though that could be nostalgia for eighties era Marvel leaking through, pre-Liefeld marvel.)

I am surprised that there is not much talk about how Marvel is using the white-washed version of the human Captain Marvel. The majority of Captain Marvels are Kree or Kree/alien hybrids with the only Kree/Human hybrid being Carol Danvers. Carol Danvers has been Ms. Marvel or used other names for the majority of her time in the comics with only recently being Captain Marvel.

I seriously doubt Captain Marvel would earn as much in the Box Office if it wasn't the tie-in movie between Infinity War and Endgame and just a regular Marvel Origin movie.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »
    Eh. Saw the movie in the theater a couple Saturdays ago. My best description is "aggressively okay".

It's a by-the-numbers superhero origin flick that you can tell REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be the next Black Panther.

Except it's so much better than Black Panther. CM is solid second tier MCU film. BP is a solid third tier (even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    > Eh. Saw the movie in the theater a couple Saturdays ago. My best description is "aggressively okay".
    >
    > It's a by-the-numbers superhero origin flick that you can tell REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be the next Black Panther.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except it's so much better than Black Panther. CM is solid second tier MCU film. BP is a solid third tier (even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.​​

No. Some of that fight scene special effects could have been better, but its tied with the Guardians of the Galaxy movies for best Marvel Movie IMO.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > Eh. Saw the movie in the theater a couple Saturdays ago. My best description is "aggressively okay".
    >
    > It's a by-the-numbers superhero origin flick that you can tell REALLY REALLY REALLY wants to be the next Black Panther.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except it's so much better than Black Panther. CM is solid second tier MCU film. BP is a solid third tier (even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.​​

No. Some of that fight scene special effects could have been better, but its tied with the Guardians of the Galaxy movies for best Marvel Movie IMO.

No. It's derivative, uninspired, and tepid and doesn't even have the cast chemistry GotG did to bouy it up.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    I guess I'm snarkier about even seeing "Captain Marvel" because I remember the Monica Rambeau version-and she was the best version, imho (though that could be nostalgia for eighties era Marvel leaking through, pre-Liefeld marvel.)

I am surprised that there is not much talk about how Marvel is using the white-washed version of the human Captain Marvel. The majority of Captain Marvels are Kree or Kree/alien hybrids with the only Kree/Human hybrid being Carol Danvers. Carol Danvers has been Ms. Marvel or used other names for the majority of her time in the comics with only recently being Captain Marvel.

I seriously doubt Captain Marvel would earn as much in the Box Office if it wasn't the tie-in movie between Infinity War and Endgame and just a regular Marvel Origin movie.

She's also the version most new comic fans (i.e. under the age of 30) are familiar with. Carol Danvers had been Ms Marvel since the '90s (i.e. almost as long as I've been alive, if not longer), and has been Captain Marvel for several years now. But I do agree with you as far as the film's performance goes. I doubt it would have performed this well if it weren't tied into Endgame.
    artan42 wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

No. It's derivative, uninspired, and tepid and doesn't even have the cast chemistry GotG did to bouy it up.

*Buoy, not bouy.
    ryan218 wrote: »

She's also the version most new comic fans (i.e. under the age of 30) are familiar with. Carol Danvers had been Ms Marvel since the '90s (i.e. almost as long as I've been alive, if not longer), and has been Captain Marvel for several years now. But I do agree with you as far as the film's performance goes. I doubt it would have performed this well if it weren't tied into Endgame.
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except it's so much better than Black Panther. CM is solid second tier MCU film. BP is a solid third tier (even worse than Thor 2 and Iron Man 2.

*Buoy, not bouy.

I know. Google apparently doesn't. Or Android or whatever controls my phone's spell check. It's why I prefer to use my laptop.​​

#TASforSTO

• theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

I just chalked it up to they-could-get-an-Oscar Winner(tm) with the white washed version.

you know, building the movie around their star instead of finding an actor for the role.

(which worked great for Iron Man since Robert Downey Junior is really a lot like Tony Stark in terms of personality, right down to the rampant alcoholism.) It's just that while Drunks are Funny (tm), Activists aren't.

I find Brie Larson, as an activist, to be quite funny, but in a different way.

Mostly in that "Brie Larson: American Cheese/Never Go Full Brie-tard" kind of way, but also in that "slamming-ones-junk-in-a-sliding-glass-door" kind of way.
    I liked her in Kong.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Okay, finally caught up on what this "activist" TRIBBLE is supposed to be.

They did a press junket. Standard procedure. For the first three or four press conferences, every single reporter in attendance was male. Larson responded to this by asking for more female reporters to be present, offering to use whatever "leverage" she might have to help out.

There was no request that men be removed, nor any suggestion they were unwelcome, just a request for greater diversity in reporting. That's a good thing, no?

And the movie is a good movie. I still rank Black Panther higher, but it's at least as good as Captain America: the First Avenger or Iron Man. I didn't get the feeling it was trying to be "derivative" of anything. And it gave us an amusing story for what happened to Fury's eye, as well as a typical Fury not-really-a-cover-up.

(On the other tentacle, I get the feeling that for some, the worst part of the movie was what I thought was the best - that Carol was able to access her full potential when she stopped caring what anyone else thought of her.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

I just chalked it up to they-could-get-an-Oscar Winner(tm) with the white washed version.

you know, building the movie around their star instead of finding an actor for the role.

(which worked great for Iron Man since Robert Downey Junior is really a lot like Tony Stark in terms of personality, right down to the rampant alcoholism.) It's just that while Drunks are Funny (tm), Activists aren't.

I find Brie Larson, as an activist, to be quite funny, but in a different way.

Mostly in that "Brie Larson: American Cheese/Never Go Full Brie-tard" kind of way, but also in that "slamming-ones-junk-in-a-sliding-glass-door" kind of way.

I guess I'm truly twisted, because I don't enjoy the latter part of that humour at all. (I was never a fan of Jack*ss, either the show or movie)

Thing is, what I see with her, is a sheltered white girl who swallowed everything her profs and the media was feeding her without question for her entire life, and is only now finding out that people outside the hothouse of L.A. 'culture' doesn't think or operate that way. It's a bit like watching the antics of an alien whose only touchstone to reality has been Tumblr and facebook, where every post is curated and there's a committee to shield the echo chambers from outside feedback.

sort of a "Surprise, the rest of the world doesn't work that way!"

we'll see if she has the intelligence to figure that out. My bet is not. She's like Zoolander, but boring.

here's where I think her mindset is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vCBMqnC1Y&t=46s

You and I, and mostly I, are exhibiting signs of schadenfreude. If I had simply said as much in the first place, however, my inner smartass would have no ability to vent.

I agree, though, that she seems to be suffering from a condition many call Stuck on Stupid. Is there hope? Maybe, but Emma Watson clearly hasn't overcome hers yet so my expectations are not high.

I suspect that once the work dries up she'll do like many others in her industry have done; Level accusations preceded by hashtags for the purpose of remaining relevant. I do hope I'm wrong, though.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    as it is, I'm also in 'wait and see' mode for Endgame, because this feels shoehorned and tacked on after ten years and 22 movies they're bringing in she-jesus to save the day as a last minute addition.

It would be funny if she is brought in to save the Avengers, but does nothing important in Endgame.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    tell me, Jon, did she have any ACTUAL struggles besides being too good, too nice, and too humble?
    You mean besides those accompanying being a woman training as a USAF fighter pilot in the 1980s, then as an amnesiac "pink Kree" warrior (pink Kree are strongly discriminated against by the blue majority)? Well, there was.... but no, I'm not going to spoil the plot any further for you. Just trust me - she became one of the most powerful beings in the universe by accident, and no, she's not "universally beloved", nor is her great weakness some stupid thing like "being slightly clumsy".

Now, by your apparent definitions, when you finally do watch it she'll probably be called a Mary Sue, because she's a female viewpoint character who never even provides you with eye candy (unless you're into green rubber suits, I don't judge). But that's your issue more than anyone else's.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    But that's your issue more than anyone else's.

Ad hominem doesn't help your argument. That said, I saw the movie and the best way to describe it is "just ok". It's not bad, but it's also nowhere near as good as some. The character has no actual weaknesses that make her feel real or interesting. She's a 1-dimensional saturday morning cartoon. But you know what? We're talking about a superhero movie here, so being a cartoon is ok. It's just not as good as other superhero movies have done.

PS: I went with my sister who said there was nothing empowering about seeing a perfect character who is stronger than everyone else and never in any real danger. She felt the same way about Rey for the record.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Ad hominem doesn't help your argument.

An Ad hominem is an attack on a person rather than their argument. Reference a person as part of an argument is not an Ad hominem. Especially as you quoted the summary portion and not the argument portion.​​

#TASforSTO

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Ad hominem doesn't help your argument.

An Ad hominem is an attack on a person rather than their argument. Reference a person as part of an argument is not an Ad hominem. Especially as you quoted the summary portion and not the argument portion.​​

How about instead of suggesting what "issues" other posters might have, we talk about the actual movie. Sound good?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    How about instead of suggesting what "issues" other posters might have, we talk about the actual movie. Sound good?

That kinda sounds more reasonable because it takes out all this political BS and conspiracy theories and focuses on the movie itself.
    rattler2 wrote: »

That kinda sounds more reasonable because it takes out all this political BS and conspiracy theories and focuses on the movie itself.

Thanks to the marketing strategy and a star who ties politics to her projects the political BS is baked in.

Plus, there doesn't need to be a formal conspiracy when interests converge.

As it stands I have been exposed to the marketing so I comment on that. I have not been exposed to the movie because I exist within a demographic that the makers and star of said movie seem to not want in attendance.
    By focusing on the movie itself, you remove bias based on the views of others that may have influenced you. For example... being willing to watch the 2016 Ghostbusters and judging it on its own merits. I can give my own, unbiased opinion on Ghostbusters as I have seen it. I cannot do the same for Captain Marvel as I have not seen it.

As for the demographic thing... I believe that was taken out of context. And as you know... Context is for Kings. B)
    The actress may have not meant to say something like that, but based on how she said it, the internet took off on a tangent that got fueled by speculation and... well... other things that made it snowball. She never said DIRECTLY that she didn't want a particular group to see it. She said she wanted to have more of other groups watching it. Based on what I've learned of this whole mess, it seems that trying to be more inclusive of others was taken as being exclusive to one group in particular. In this day and age, it is easy to take one's words and snowball a narative that was not intended. We see it all the time with various subjects. And when presented with evidence that doesn't support the narative that has been constructed, out come the attacks.

Another case of a snowballing narative was when Liam Nesson admitted that when he was younger he had wanted to hurt someone. The internet instantly snapped that up, ignoring other parts of his story to paint him as a racist, even though in that same interview he admitted that he was thankful it never happened and that he grew out of that to become a better person. But the Internet didn't care.

So frankly... it is better to judge something like a movie based on its merits and not through rose tinted glasses. However the fact that Social Media is so powerful tends to skew things based on popular opinion to the point the original message is lost.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    By focusing on the movie itself, you remove bias based on the views of others that may have influenced you. For example... being willing to watch the 2016 Ghostbusters and judging it on its own merits. I can give my own, unbiased opinion on Ghostbusters as I have seen it. I cannot do the same for Captain Marvel as I have not seen it.

As for the demographic thing... I believe that was taken out of context. And as you know... Context is for Kings. B)
    The actress may have not meant to say something like that, but based on how she said it, the internet took off on a tangent that got fueled by speculation and... well... other things that made it snowball. She never said DIRECTLY that she didn't want a particular group to see it. She said she wanted to have more of other groups watching it. Based on what I've learned of this whole mess, it seems that trying to be more inclusive of others was taken as being exclusive to one group in particular. In this day and age, it is easy to take one's words and snowball a narative that was not intended. We see it all the time with various subjects. And when presented with evidence that doesn't support the narative that has been constructed, out come the attacks.

Another case of a snowballing narative was when Liam Nesson admitted that when he was younger he had wanted to hurt someone. The internet instantly snapped that up, ignoring other parts of his story to paint him as a racist, even though in that same interview he admitted that he was thankful it never happened and that he grew out of that to become a better person. But the Internet didn't care.

So frankly... it is better to judge something like a movie based on its merits and not through rose tinted glasses. However the fact that Social Media is so powerful tends to skew things based on popular opinion to the point the original message is lost.

Oh, I agree. That's why I used the word, "seem."

Even in the face of things Larson has said and done, the employed marketing strategy, the pattern of behavior displayed by the Movie/Television industries... With all that info at hand I'm still not willing to commit to an absolute. I'm not saying there is an absolute, just that its existence has not been proven to me yet.

Plus I have stated that I will not comment on the Captain Marvel movie precisely because I have not seen it. If one cannot extrapolate my integrity from that alone, then I am quite happy to clarify.

Indeed it seems clear that much of the internet has an interest in "forgetting" all about Due Process if it means they get play the Moral Supremacy Game. That is until the accusatory finger starts pointing at them.
    Agreed.

I can say for absolute certain that there was one movie, just by the previews alone, was not just a no, but a HELL no.
    Hardcore Henry.

I had absolutely no interest in that. Basically a First Person Shooter movie. If I got motion sick because of one scene in one of the Bourne movies (I think it was Ultimatum, and it had a VERY BAD case of Shaky Camera Syndrome), there was no way in hell I'd survive Hardcore Henry. Also the whole idea just felt... bad.

I also can't see how making an entire movie in a First Person perspective can really work either. Having a small segment kinda like a tribute to its source material like in DOOM was fine. But a whole movie? Especially an ACTION movie where things are jumping and swaying and... its a recipe for motion sickness disaster. Not only that... how can you even tell what the hell is going on in the first place?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the same way any individual soldier in war can tell what the hell is going on...in case you haven't noticed, your entire LIFE is spent in first person​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    the same way any individual soldier in war can tell what the hell is going on...in case you haven't noticed, your entire LIFE is spent in first person​​

There's a bit of a difference here. You can actually feel your body moving in life. But with a movie your eyes are telling you one thing while your body is telling you another.

Its easier to get away with that with video games because you're the one in control still. But with a movie it is harder. Although I do admit I still get a little motion sick in AvP when I'm playing a Xenomorph and do a bunch of wall crawling.

Also... it was still during the era of "Shaky Camera = immersion". Some movies took it way too far to try and make you feel like you were a part of the action.