test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ferengi Appearance Options

westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
I recently decided to make a ferengi toon, partially for fun, and partially because I needed an excuse for someone to give a D'kora to. I've noticed however after obtaining the DS9 Hologram Ferengi bridge officers that our playable characters can't have the same skin tone as them and our playable ferengi have a lack of customization. There are many unique noses, ear shapes, and even dual lobed head shapes that players are unable to use that exist on the DS9 Ferengi. I think it wouldn't be too hard to add in such things for our own characters to use as I do enjoy my ferengi but its weird how his skin tone is only human tones.
Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Teeth. "Ferengi Teeth" is an option (or was when I made my Ferengi), but you never see them. Please have them sticking out all over.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I'd like to see more detailed Ferengi stuff, as in our Ferengi toons looking as good as Quark, Rom, Nog, Lekk, and the others.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    Its really disappointing to make a ferengi toon and give them say, the quark boff and realize how terrible you look compared to quark. I don't understand why there's so much effort in the new npc appearances but none of that effort went back into player appearances.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    westx211 wrote: »
    Its really disappointing to make a ferengi toon and give them say, the quark boff and realize how terrible you look compared to quark. I don't understand why there's so much effort in the new npc appearances but none of that effort went back into player appearances.

It's simple, really:

A: dev time is spent on stuff used by the most amount of people. If Ferengi were the most played species you can bet they would spend time giving the more options. But they aren't, so they don't.

B: those NPCs were custom made for the missions they would be in, so they aren't actually the ferengi "species" players have access to.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

It's simple, really:

A: dev time is spent on stuff used by the most amount of people. If Ferengi were the most played species you can bet they would spend time giving the more options. But they aren't, so they don't.

B: those NPCs were custom made for the missions they would be in, so they aren't actually the ferengi "species" players have access to.

I guess I can see the issue there but would it really be that hard to make some new appearance options using the new "ferengi" so you can actually look like one? Even just the skin tone those ferengi use would be better than nothing.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

It's simple, really:

I guess I can see the issue there but would it really be that hard to make some new appearance options using the new "ferengi" so you can actually look like one? Even just the skin tone those ferengi use would be better than nothing.

Hard? No. But again, see "A" above. Sadly very few people play Ferengi (based on what I see in game anyway) so it's nowhere near a priority for them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The Gorn are more important apparently
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I would like more options for my Ferengi toon. Having the Ferengi uniform would be a nice option.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I recently decided to make a ferengi toon, partially for fun, and partially because I needed an excuse for someone to give a D'kora to. I've noticed however after obtaining the DS9 Hologram Ferengi bridge officers that our playable characters can't have the same skin tone as them and our playable ferengi have a lack of customization. There are many unique noses, ear shapes, and even dual lobed head shapes that players are unable to use that exist on the DS9 Ferengi. I think it wouldn't be too hard to add in such things for our own characters to use as I do enjoy my ferengi but its weird how his skin tone is only human tones.

Have to agree that since the Cardassian player characters have a "special" skin color bar to select from, the Ferengi certainly deserved the same.

• dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    As you say, the Ferengi holographic BOFFs have really drawn attention to the customization limitations for playable Ferengi characters. I, too, would love to see some new options for the Ferengi.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    nixboox wrote: »
    aries73321 wrote: »
    I would like more options for my Ferengi toon. Having the Ferengi uniform would be a nice option.

I thought there was a Ferengi uniform? Isn't it in the Lobi store?

That's not a uniform per se, it is labeled as an Off Duty Outfit, so BOFFs cannot wear it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

That's not a uniform per se, it is labeled as an Off Duty Outfit, so BOFFs cannot wear it.

aren't those also more like a ferengi business suit rather then military(?) uniform we saw in early TNG or am I thinking of a different item.
    edited March 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »

aren't those also more like a ferengi business suit rather then military(?) uniform we saw in early TNG or am I thinking of a different item.

On screen, this is the closest thing we saw to (and may actually be) a Ferengi uniform:

4NhmYJS.jpg

Anything else, yes, was mostly business or casual attire.
    GrWzQke.png
    spiritborn wrote: »

On screen, this is the closest thing we saw to (and may actually be) a Ferengi uniform:

4NhmYJS.jpg

Anything else, yes, was mostly business or casual attire.

I think these were the only military uniforms we saw in action: latest?cb=20120821023407&path-prefix=en

That's from the Ferengi's first appearance, and I don't believe we ever saw them in those outfits again, if I'm not mistaken. The one I posted is what they were seen in most often until DS9.
    GrWzQke.png
  • captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Appearance is one of the problems I have with Cryptic (Ferengi Appearance being one of them). They've intentionally ignored Ferengi toons and the players behind them minus a few clothing updates. We still don't have a T6 D'kora Marauder. I can't play with my Ferengi character the way I would like to because of these issues. Ship issue is due to the rising of specialized bridge officer seating. And they wonder why I don't spend money on this game, or get a life time sub etc.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Even some C-Store races lack options, Caitian/Ferasan as an example. You'd think because they are paid for that they would at least get close to as much options as some of the non-paid races.
    It feels like it shouldn't be too difficult to atleast make some new customization assets from the DS9 ferengi heads so we can mix some of our stuff up. And that "uniform" from the show would be pretty nice as a race specific uniform for Ferengi to have to themselves.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    TBH with new races like Cardassians and Jem’Hadar being drastically better customisation wise than older races, I’d like to see some of the old ones getting updated.

Most noteably Suarians and Ferengi
    Each one takes over a month of work and yet they still TRIBBLE up on some like the Korath pants not responding to lighting properly and the Na'kuhl player uniform not actually using the same color palette as the NPC Na'kuhl uniform. They cut corners a lot.

And Marty I think I heard they wanted to add in Discovery Saurians at some point so we'll probably get more customization for them but I haven't heard anything on the Ferengi.
    edited March 2019
    The bugs I'm talking about are not small things on costumes. Even just beaming into an area like Drozana immediately shows the glaring flaws in the Korath uniform that literally anyone who actually play tested the uniform by beaming into a few differently lit locations would have seen. The Nakuhl uniform is also another glaring bug because it took all of 5 seconds after I got it to find that it wasn't able to use any of the colors the actual Nakuhl use.

We're not talking perfection here these are bugs that would take almost no amount of playtime at all to notice.

Game Developers aren't perfect. But there's a difference between not being perfect and not checking for any kind of mistake.
    Post edited by westx211 on
This discussion has been closed.