test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery Torpedo?

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
What do you think is the best torpedo to use on the Crossfield-class Science Vanguard ship to properly emulate the Discovery's torpedos from the TV show?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    There's the prototype photon from the AoD tutorial which is spot on. The AoY photons you can grab at K-13 are pretty close if you don't have access to those.

Edit: I tell a lie: You can get uncommon rarity Disco torps from "Secrets" in the Age of Discovery mission arc, not the tutorial. I've got a couple of unbound Mk II Uncommons in the bank from there, message me your @ if you want them.
    Post edited by irm1963 on
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    Prototype Photon from the Tutorial and/or Kelvin are the ones I use...

heaven_s_tears_by_kurumi_morishita_dc2vdzv-fullview.jpg

"We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I want a green version of these for the Klingons,... like in the show.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    corelogik wrote: »
    I want a green version of these for the Klingons,... like in the show.

There are green photons in the 8472 Rep, either the rep project one (Heavy Bio-Molecular) or more generic store versions in the rep store. I'm not sure how the sound effects for Klingon torpedoes are in Disco, but these 8472 torps probably don't sound like them.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Lukari rep Photon torpedos are green as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Nausicaan set torpedo would do as well for the klinks, HY looks a lot like that big one the Sarcophagus knocks a hole in the Shenzou with (and the set's Disruptor damage bonus is pretty nice) .
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The Discovery torps (at least in the series) look like large ball of electricity/lightning with a green color, while I don't think there's any torp that are the exact match there's plenty of green torps using the classic photon torp shape and sounds.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    My Disco toon kept her prototype one and is using it. It upgraded from green to epic before it hit Mk X. While she doesn't have any Disco ships save the Walker she's been using since appearing in the STO universe, she's still keeping it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    My Crossfield uses the Terran Phaser Energy Torp fore. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Can't blame you there. I think I got lucky myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    Thank you all I redid the mission for the torpedo. I appreciate the help and offers.
  • rickvic#6033 rickvic Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    The new C Store ships come with the blue ones, sadly also the Kling ships
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Just know that the Kelvin Photon is the fastest in the game with a 4.5 second recharge time.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    I love the Kelvin torpedo.
    Strange thing is, it seems to be unpossible to upgrade the torpedoes which come with the disco ship pack. they have no upgrade option

with all the nice rework going into ship skins like the ecx, mir and cent (thank you very much, i love it) i would be really happy if the good old photon torpedoes get and visual upgrade and better hit effect to
    Ok, then how do i get 2 upgradeable for my main fed toon ?
    You can get another one by making a throwaway Discovery character and run them through the tutorial.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    there's not a mission reward for it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Thought there was... but apparently its one of the tutorial missions.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 450 Arc User
    I was able to retrieve one from a mission replay, though I do not recall which mission. One of the first 2 released missions, I think, not including the Disco tutorial.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It comes from "Secrets," the first mission in the Age of Discovery arc, but only on replays. The first run gives just generic vendor trash.
    Unless I'm mistaken there is nothing special about this torpedo other than its visual effect, thus making it vendor trash as well. Or am I missing something? I ask because I've noticed that some things that I think should have a baked in ability do not list anything in the description, like the Phaser Stun Bolt Pistol reads like a standard phaser pistol.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The visual effect is enough.
    It has the sound effect of the series and the new explosion effect of the disco phasers, it looks also a little bit different than the TOS torpedo. Thanks for the tips, got 2 now
    Unless I'm mistaken there is nothing special about this torpedo other than its visual effect, thus making it vendor trash as well. Or am I missing something?

You'd be surprised the lengths people go to for Space Barbie visual accuracy with theme builds. Also... its fun.

While TOS Torpedos are passable for a Discovery era theme build, people want the actual look and sound for maximum immersion.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sorry, I go for the Kelvin. Shorter cooldown is more important than a sound I don't hear anyway (sound muted) and colors that get lost in a visual cavalcade that we know as space combat.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Oh, I'm all in on the Space Barbie thing. I just got it into my head that there was more to it somehow.
This discussion has been closed.