test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

50% Vendors

fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
Why is this still a thing? Most if not all MMOs have moved past the running-around-searching for the correct Vendor as a gameplay mechanic and have recognized that it just adds an 4th wall breaking timesink that actually discouraged play.

All vendors should buy trash for the same rates.
While fixing this, please please add a sell-or-salvage so we can salvage we can, and sell everything else.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Very few vendors don't give 50%. Ferengi on the earlier K-whatever starbases (Ferengi on Drozana do give 50%), and the vendor nearest the recruitment cave on the Klingon Academy, and I can't recall any others that do 40%. With so few exceptions, and so easy to check -- just hover over the item to see it's full value, and then compare what the vendor is offering-- I don't see much of an issue.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Also, with credits so plentiful you might as well just use Discard since that now gives you 40%.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Also, with credits so plentiful you might as well just use Discard since that now gives you 40%.

Takes to long. Better to open up the replicator and just recycle it. Give a nice click list you can speed through, instead of having to click scroll to discard, and click. The only time I do it one at a time like discarding, is when I want to salvage, upgrade or re-engineer.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Or with stuff you cannot sell, not even for 0, like some equipment ships come with.

Back on topic, I think ESD has only 40% vendors.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

Lessa in the equipment vendor area over by the tailor buys at 50% if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Bartenders (except your own) give you 50% as well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I'm cheap so it annoys me to miss out on that extra 10%. I would say that the benefit of not annoying players with this and not needing 2-3 different vendor price tables in the database is worth the 'flood' of extra EC :D having all vendors give 50% would bring.

I can see where they might have done this in the name of immersion... but really... do SFA bartenders make so much they can give the MAX credits? Seems immersion breaking to me! :D Only thing that does make sense is Ferengi vendors TRIBBLE you over for vendor trash.
  • Options
    If they were really that concerned with giving out EC they wouldn't be dumping so much of it as the rewards for Personal Endeavors. Years ago they were so concerned about it that they drastically reduced the EC value of items for vendoring. Now Personal Endeavors and Admiralty make recycling look like a penny-ante operation.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    detheater wrote: »

Lessa in the equipment vendor area over by the tailor buys at 50% if I remember correctly.

The ground and space ones both give 50%. I don't think that I've ever sold to the bartender in the club there, but I would bet that it's 50% there, too. Only the Commodity Vendor pays 40%, which is standard for Commodity Vendors.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    do SFA bartenders make so much they can give the MAX credits?

Totally unnecessary remark: I doubt they're running their own business there, instead are employees of SFA, so it's a question about the government grants SFA gets. Basically your tax credits at work ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »
    detheater wrote: »

The ground and space ones both give 50%. I don't think that I've ever sold to the bartender in the club there, but I would bet that it's 50% there, too. Only the Commodity Vendor pays 40%, which is standard for Commodity Vendors.

Ugh, now I know why I've never bothered with the bartender in Club 47. You have to chase her down to sell to her, since she moves around behind the bar. She definitely does pay 50%. As far as I know, there are only four vendors who will buy stuff from you on ESD, and three of them give 50%, with only the Commodity Vendor being 40%.
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Very few vendors don't give 50%. Ferengi on the earlier K-whatever starbases (Ferengi on Drozana do give 50%), and the vendor nearest the recruitment cave on the Klingon Academy, and I can't recall any others that do 40%. With so few exceptions, and so easy to check -- just hover over the item to see it's full value, and then compare what the vendor is offering-- I don't see much of an issue.

On Drozana, everyone but the Commodity Vendor says that they'll buy for 50%, but only Belan and the other bartender actually do. The others actually give you 30%! Is this a bug, or the inherent dishonesty of a Ferengi? Who knows? They are the stingiest vendors in the game, as far as I know.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    On Drozana, everyone but the Commodity Vendor says that they'll buy for 50%, but only Belan and the other bartender actually do. The others actually give you 30%! Is this a bug, or the inherent dishonesty of a Ferengi? Who knows? They are the stingiest vendors in the game, as far as I know.

Ferengi indeed, they're paying less than using your recycling tab!

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Ferengi indeed, they're paying less than using your recycling tab!
    Well, unfortunately, the Ferengi replicators do not work at the high efficiency levels Federation replicators operate at, therefore they just can't you quite as much. And then there are tariffs and taxes...

There is no dishonesty involved here, it's just a common problem with translating Ferenginese and Federation Standard. When the Federation acquired the Ferengi language translation matrix, they unfortunately relied on a less than competent but well-meaning Ferengi computer expert. You see, there are no different words for selling and buying in Ferengi, it is instead used either in the Future Acquisis or the Future Providis grammatical tense, with the grammatical case - either the fiscally donative case or the fiscally receptive case - further complicating the translating.

So when a Ferengi says "I am offering you a bargain", he might really mean "I am buying a bargain".

The Ferengi Trade Comission has repeatedly tried to provide upgrades to the Federation Translation Services Subcommittee to resolve this confusion, but unfortunately, the Federation claims that the software upgrade does not follow security standards (something to do with it being classified as "spyware" by the security filter). The Ferengi Trace Commission is offering interested parties advanced training courses for the Ferengi language, with a permanent discount for our hypnotic training courses that allow you to learn Ferengi in your sleep. We even offer Orion comfort women at a small surcharge to help you to get tired enough for the sleep!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I always feel that there is a huge Ferenginar shaped hole in the entire premise of selling items/resources in this game. You have a race who literally live to make money and yet there is no way to utilise that gimmick to provide a dedicated saleroom/auction house area for the game?

The exchange is goo and all but it just feels a bit sterile to be honest and not very in keeping with the world building they should be aiming for.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    The Ferengi on Drozana, other than the bartenders, are actually tied for stingiest. On K-7 and Starbase 39, there are also vendors who pay 30%. On K-7, it's the Negotiate a Deal Ferengi, and on Starbase 39, it's the lone non-Starfleet vendor. I may yet get it in my head to go check out all of the vendors on DS9, as well as the various vendors on Bajor, Vulcan, Andoria and Risa, but it's not going to be anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the only one on Risa is a Commodity Broker, so I expect that you'll get 40% there.
  • Options
    detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I may yet get it in my head to go check out all of the vendors on DS9, as well as the various vendors on Bajor, Vulcan, Andoria and Risa, but it's not going to be anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the only one on Risa is a Commodity Broker, so I expect that you'll get 40% there.

Not sure it is necessary, if this is up to date (either way it's a start):

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Category:Vendors_buying_at_50%

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I always feel that there is a huge Ferenginar shaped hole in the entire premise of selling items/resources in this game. You have a race who literally live to make money and yet there is no way to utilise that gimmick to provide a dedicated saleroom/auction house area for the game?
    The biggest ferengi plot hole is the Lobi Store, ostensibly run by greedy ferengi who would sell their grandmothers if the price was right, but who for some reason refuse to take my money for various things just because I'm from the "wrong" faction.
  • Options
    That Ferengi Lobi guy on Drozana has gotten greedy in his old age. He used to give an Intro to Lobi Mission that ended up giving you a few Lobi. Doesn't do that anymore, probably since they made Lobi Account-wide. They were probably afraid that people would keep creating Characters, get the Lobi, put it in the Account Bank, delete the Character rinsing and repeating.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    That Ferengi Lobi guy on Drozana has gotten greedy in his old age. He used to give an Intro to Lobi Mission that ended up giving you a few Lobi. Doesn't do that anymore, probably since they made Lobi Account-wide. They were probably afraid that people would keep creating Characters, get the Lobi, put it in the Account Bank, delete the Character rinsing and repeating.

You can still get that from Grym, but it's once per account now. I don't remember if I even bothered to do it on more than one character when we could, but it would have only amounted to 11 extra Lobi up to that point.
  • Options
    That ship sailed for me many a yahren ago.

The Ground Equipment Vendor in the Dyson Ground Battlezone HQ will also pay out the 50%.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.