test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plz, split Space/Ground specialization.

fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
Like you did with personal traits long ago...

You select Primary/Secondary specialization that works in Space
And select Primary/Secondary specialization that works iin Ground

Im using Pilot/Strategist for space and TemporalOperative/Commando for ground... and there is no chance to change them when playing Random TFO...

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I can get aboard this.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    IIRC, they did say they would be more open to doing this than giving us an option to pick from only space or only ground queues with the random system. It might just be a matter of finding a way to make it actually work. Perhaps they've been trying but it's just too buggy to even attempt to put out for testing on Tribble.

But, I can fully get behind the idea.

+1
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Or allow the players during the briefing period before the stf begins to switch spec choices like in radom stfs specifically. That would be a good stop gap till they can either find a working method, or a different method. i would just not mind if they split the space an ground choices more so they could feel more open to make strictly ground or space specs, since right now I would imagine they look at making hybrid ones so that when going into a random stf you are less likely to have a useless spec active like going into space with a ground only spec active.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Do the same with Active Reputation Traits. They have already done this with Personal Traits.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Pretty please...can we have :smile:
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > They added a briefing. To every TFO that's more than enough time to switch your specializations
    >
    >
    >
    > Last I checked, you can only change you specializations in a social zone, which TFO maps do not count as.

Ok that might be a hurdle yes, but with a grand total of 1 Space only Spec and 1 Ground only spec I don't see why its a big enough deal to be bothered with. I would much rather have the active rep powers split space & ground first.

I can agree it is not a huge issue, though changing it would be a good preemptive measure. Would make it less an issue if they started to, or wanted to start putting more ground or space exclusive specs into the game.
    It would certainly cut down on all the whining that's for sure. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Just chiming in support for this idea. The option to have ground and space set ups for reps in addition to traits, too? Sold!
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    >
    > They added a briefing. To every TFO that's more than enough time to switch your specializations
    >
    >
    >
    > Last I checked, you can only change you specializations in a social zone, which TFO maps do not count as.

Ok that might be a hurdle yes, but with a grand total of 1 Space only Spec and 1 Ground only spec I don't see why its a big enough deal to be bothered with. I would much rather have the active rep powers split space & ground first.

I feel the complete opposite, there's enough slots to get the important Rep traits, but having Strategist slotted doesn't help me on ground in the slightest nor does having Commando slotted help in space at all.

So while yes both would be good to have done I'd much rather have Space and Ground specs come in first
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Like you did with personal traits long ago...

You select Primary/Secondary specialization that works in Space
    And select Primary/Secondary specialization that works iin Ground

Im using Pilot/Strategist for space and TemporalOperative/Commando for ground... and there is no chance to change them when playing Random TFO...

Excellent idea.. I would love to see this implemented as soon as possible.

I will say that I agree it's not really needed, but it would be nice. The flat out truth is that Advanced Queues are more then easy enough to do even if your specializations are specced for Space. Still, I have put points into Commando, I would like to be able to make use of those points. Right now, the only time I get to use it is when I do pre-made Elite Grounds.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Sadly this is very unlikely to happen. Even expanding the loadout system to incorporate ground builds will not happen either. Cryptic with the random TFO system have done all they are going to do with it and as always do half a job and call it a day.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Sadly this is very unlikely to happen. Even expanding the loadout system to incorporate ground builds will not happen either. Cryptic with the random TFO system have done all they are going to do with it and as always do half a job and call it a day.

And you have proof of that from where? Especially as one of the devs (forgot who, sorry) at the launch of the random system said they were working on a separation of traits (and specs) but that it was more complicated than it appeared and thus not ready for launch.
    I'm not saying they will carry through with it, it may end up a fizzle. But you know, people also said that we were never going to see the personal endeavor system when it got pushed more than once and yet...
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    There are only two queues (done in a PUG) that really require players to be fully optimized for ground/space - Miner Elite and Hive Space Elite. How often are folks really going to use RTFs to do those?

If you're doing RTFs, even in PUGs, players ought to be able to complete all of the other queues with some middle ground setup for specializations.

Of course, having the specializations different for ground and space would be preferred. But, I don't see the problem with folks either making better choices with the difficulty levels they are doing when going random or using a more "balanced" ground/space choice for specializations and/or adjusting their ground/space builds accordingly.

The common theme that arises in a lot of the discussion threads here is that folks seem to want to have a one-size / one-build-fits-all setup for all in-game situations, rather than modifying based on the situation. Folks are essentially saying "this is my setup and I want to use it in all situations." But, the random nature of the RTFs is a different type of situation requiring a different approach. If you want certainty in ground/space, a player can ALWAYS simply select the queue he wants. The tradeoff in that situation is that you don't get the bonus rewards for doing the random - a seemingly fair tradeoff.

In some ways, the current system requires players to make various tradeoffs to optimize the overall situation - either change your setup (weapons, traits, equipment, boffs, etc.) to reflect the specializations you want to use or change the specializations to reflect the setup you want to use.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Would be welcome but not a big deal IMO. Ground advanced is no big deal. Said it a million times, ground advanced is EZMODE. So I spec for space when it comes to my specializations. The only time I bother switching is when i do a planned elite ground run. And even then I sometimes forget and it's not a big deal the majority of the time.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    This would be convenient. But I agree that it would be so far down the list of potential changes for the Devs....I'm not going to hold my breath.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This is one of those "it'd be nice to have" things, but not really needed IMO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I would venture to guess that the Active Reputation Traits/Powers would be the easier to implement as they already have the code in place for the Personal Traits.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zanibarzanibar Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I normally only have one space and one ground specialization selected at a time which seems to work well enough. That said I'm certainly on board for there being separate choices instead!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Nothing in STO is hard enough to require that degree of minmaxing.

Certainly nothing in the RTFO.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    > @jagdtier44 said:
    >
    > > @somtaawkhar said:
    > > azrael605 wrote: »
    > >
    > > They added a briefing. To every TFO that's more than enough time to switch your specializations
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Last I checked, you can only change you specializations in a social zone, which TFO maps do not count as.
    >
    > Ok that might be a hurdle yes, but with a grand total of 1 Space only Spec and 1 Ground only spec I don't see why its a big enough deal to be bothered with. I would much rather have the active rep powers split space & ground first.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I feel the complete opposite, there's enough slots to get the important Rep traits, but having Strategist slotted doesn't help me on ground in the slightest nor does having Commando slotted help in space at all.
    >
    > So while yes both would be good to have done I'd much rather have Space and Ground specs come in first

Not talking about rep traits, those are already split between ground and space, 4 slots each. Rep Active Powers are not split and they only have 4 slots (5th purchasable at Research Lab), with 12 Reps that each have an active power, some space some ground.

Sorry I knew what you meant but phrased it incorrectly, and like I said the 4-5 slots lets you pick a few of each while having the wrong secondary spec is worthless in the others area (having commando slotted in a space TFO or vice versa) At least as it is now with active reps I can run Bio-Molecular shield, Anti-Time Entanglement, Concussive Tachyon Emission and Medical Nanite Cloud (I kinda like the sensor interferance platform or refracting tetryon in my 5th slot if the toon has it) and still have abilities to use in both ground and space vs an entire dead-weight spec
    Maybe so, but you know what you know for the task at hand. In Space, I would call on my Piloting skills, but on the ground, that knowledge would do me no good unless I was 'a moon shuttle conductor'. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.