test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

For Fans By Fans X Star Trek Online

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 1,981 Community Manager
edited March 5 in Galactic News Network
We're teaming with ForFans ByFans to give you the chance to design Mirror of Discovery Star Trek merchandise, and win great in game rewards!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11103993

Comments

  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,191 Arc User
    So asking the real question here... What happens if we win and we already have the Discovery Operations Pack? Is there an alternate prize?
    Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

    Things I want in STO:

    1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • I could only laugh when I saw this community outreach and cooperation post. After trying to exploit our wallets with the Disco Ops pack, despite knowing what the response would be b/c they've tried it before, and then shutting down Foundry, right after a Foundry spotlight, we're asked to contribute our IP to Cryptic/CBS IP with unknown compensation rates and a questionable business partner.

    1 minute of Googling For Fans By Fans (with spaces @ambassadorkael#6946 ) doesn't paint a pretty picture for good business practices or merchandise delivery assurance. Known previously as WeLoveFine, more information about them can be found on the Webs.

    If you still want to participate, because we are enthusiastic, dedicated and fundamentally optimistic fans of Star Trek, there are some web resources available to make your MoD submissions more viable for succeeding and maybe winning swag. The FFBF Community FAQ in particular would likely help at https://www.forfansbyfans.com/communityfaq.

    Good Luck!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,347 Arc User
    the "upcomming" expansion?

    Typos as blatant as this never puts a company in the best light when its a word that even the most basic of spellchecker would highlight as being wrong. Also someone might want to mention that the "expansion" is being trickle fed so is actually out already.

    Did they want to be on par with some of sto's blogposts?

    Also the rules state no mashups (fair enough) or crossovers but doesn't say what constitutes a crossover in the context of the competition which is bad given that disco has the mirror universe and spock which are crossovers to the other trek series.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,164 Arc User
    It was mentioned earlier in the 400th Episode of that Roddenberry podcast about sunsetting Foundry. When I listened to it, mentioned briefly, I was kind of surprised. But then again, I've only played one Foundry mission, so it's not a big deal to me as it is for others.

    I believe the reasons for shutting down the Foundry was explained well in the Foundry Sunset blog, such as it was becoming a legacy system that is becoming more of a drain on future development.

    There were complaints of the game going into management mode, and that dropping the Foundry was an example of this. It's actually the opposite. If the game was going into management mode, the Foundry would continue as it is, in a maintenance cycle.

    It's been breaking down more frequently and for longer periods of time, so why keep it around?

    The final Spotlights is more of letting the player creators and foundry mission players a final go around with the system before it it's given it's retirement that was becoming more evident.

    I for one would like to see the Spotlighted Foundry missions and acknowledgement of their authors (with their permission, of course) in-game (using current maps, assets & resources; the authors could be the mission's contacts).

    While this would have gave extra incentive for some players to create Foundry content if it was offered when it came out, it would be nice if they did include this if they did create Foundry 2.0 in the future.

    I'm glad they are introducing this player created merchandise contest, there's plenty of creative people on the Forums that would be able to make multiple entries. This isn't replacing Foundry in any way (being a limited time only offer), so it's separate from that issue.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 3,124 Arc User
    edited March 6
    "Selected art work will earn a commission per item sold" without any * or (1) to detail what it really is.

    What is it with multi-million dollars franchises these days asking fans to do part of their job for basically free?

    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    We're teaming with ForFans ByFans to give you the chance to design Mirror of Discovery Star Trek merchandise, and win great in game rewards!

    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11103993

    And the site is behind a cookie wall, not really Europe friendly that whole site.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 617 Arc User
    > @themadprofessor#9835 said:
    > So asking the real question here... What happens if we win and we already have the Discovery Operations Pack? Is there an alternate prize?

    Or just chose a different ship...
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 617 Arc User
    Can no one else enter so I can get myself a T6 Connie?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 4,818 Arc User
    Can no one else enter so I can get myself a T6 Connie?

    Everyone who enters gets the promo box, and it only has a chance of giving you a T6 promo ship just like the ones you buy in the store.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    LJEhU5U.png
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Is it for everyone or just for US as always? Can't find the rules
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,347 Arc User
    I'd assume its murica only.
  • cpteirwing#1605 cpteirwing Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My design was approved("Congratulations! Your design: dont trust a man behind mirror has been approved for viewing and rating!" - email by fan forge), how can I claim reward ("Every single person who enters the contest will receive the “Dedicated Fan: in-game title, and a Infinity Promotions R&D Pack on PC – which can open into a Tier 6 ship, including the Constitution Class." - Ambassador Kael)
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,191 Arc User
    My design was approved("Congratulations! Your design: dont trust a man behind mirror has been approved for viewing and rating!" - email by fan forge), how can I claim reward ("Every single person who enters the contest will receive the “Dedicated Fan: in-game title, and a Infinity Promotions R&D Pack on PC – which can open into a Tier 6 ship, including the Constitution Class." - Ambassador Kael)

    So it's not a guaranteed ship. Just a guaranteed R&D pack with 99.9% chance of 10 Lobi and a 0.1% chance to get a ship. ship.
    Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

    Things I want in STO:

    1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • cpteirwing#1605 cpteirwing Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My design was approved("Congratulations! Your design: dont trust a man behind mirror has been approved for viewing and rating!" - email by fan forge), how can I claim reward ("Every single person who enters the contest will receive the “Dedicated Fan: in-game title, and a Infinity Promotions R&D Pack on PC – which can open into a Tier 6 ship, including the Constitution Class." - Ambassador Kael)

    So it's not a guaranteed ship. Just a guaranteed R&D pack with 99.9% chance of 10 Lobi and a 0.1% chance to get a ship. ship.

    Thanks for reply, I know that the ship is not guaranteed, but my question is How can I claim the reward?, because i dont see anything in c-store or anywhere... How will i get that R&D pack and title please?
  • talientalien Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    "Selected art work will earn a commission per item sold" without any * or (1) to detail what it really is.

    What is it with multi-million dollars franchises these days asking fans to do part of their job for basically free?

    My thoughts exactly. I'll pass on designing something to be sold by some company I have zero affiliation with that they will make money from without me seeing a penny of it.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 3,532 Arc User
    So, how is this supposed to work, now? o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,864 Arc User
    edited June 5
    Just curious what the status of this is. When can we expect rewards for participating?
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,924 Arc User
    This was bitter sweet for me. I already have the Discovery Pack, but thought of some cool ideas. Unfortunately the launcher screen is notoriously unpredictable for me, sometimes taking up to a week to register costume changes and limiting all four BOffs to the same outfit while only displaying phaser rifles instead of all the cool Winter Event weapons I've bought over the years.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 6,397 Community Moderator
    Then you're probably using the same costume name for all of your BOFFs in the Tailor, if they all look the same on the character select screen.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 34,230 Arc User
    It may also be due to your default away team. the login page sometimes does weird things when you don't have a full away team setup.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,924 Arc User
    edited June 15
    Then you're probably using the same costume name for all of your BOFFs in the Tailor, if they all look the same on the character select screen.

    I have changed the names of some uniforms in the tailor but I will check the BOffs, thats probably it.
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 34,230 Arc User
    what's your default away team composition?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,924 Arc User
    edited June 16
    That did it! My default away team is all Engineers, but dressed differently, basically 1 yellow, 1 blue and 2 red TOS shirts.
  • mihajlorsmihajlomihajlorsmihajlo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 8
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
This discussion has been closed.