test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

(non Trek) What are you Reading?

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
What non-Star Trek material are you reading for yourself?
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Mostly fanfics these days. But I do have some Battletech, seaQuest, and Star Wars books. Also like Dragonriders of Pern and even have an Area 51 book.

Really should pull out a real book again one of these days.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The novelization of the Black Hole, and the original Star Wars by Alan Dean Foster, the latter of which was ghost written.

I also have Heinlein's Starship Troopers around here somewhere. That is a fun read.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    That's a lot of simultaneous reading, PawPaw. I can only handle two or three books at a time.

I'm reading A Century of Dishonor by Helen Jackson at the moment. Recently finished The Stand, and before that it was Dragonsong, (rereading, I first encountered the Harpers of Pern books in the early 80s.)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I also have Heinlein's Starship Troopers around here somewhere. That is a fun read.

Heard a rumor that there's another movie in the works thats closer to the book than what we have right now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The First Heretic by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.
    It covers the Word Bearers' path to heresy and the seeds of the Horus Heresy
    Post edited by theraven2378 on
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      Queen of Zazzau by J.S. Emuakpor. It's a historical epic fantasy novel set in what is now Nigeria in the 1500s; picked it up at IllogiCon in January. It's based on real events and people, with plenty of magic and politics and warring gods, and a very well-written and endearing heroine.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
      bouncing between Quickbooks for dummies (for work) and Man on the Moon, by Chaikan, a history of the Apollo program.
      Spock.jpg

• xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
      Caliban's War
      Tiamat's Wrath (James SA Corey's Expanse series)
      temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
      edited April 2019
      Recently:

The Magicians, The Magician King, The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
      Death Wave, Survival, Apes and Angels by Ben Bova
      Flood by Stephen Baxter
      The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman

Currently:

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson
      The Sandman: Dream Country, Seasons of Mist by Neil Gaiman

Soon:

The Crucible by Arthur Miller
      Venus on the Half-Shell by Philip Jose Farmer
      Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abadon's Gate by James S.A. Corey
    • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
      The Economist and Karl Popper's The Open Society and its Enemies. ;)

As for fiction: I'm considering buying some of The Expanse novels. It's a shame season 3 was never added to Netflix.
      Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      the only reading i have time to do anymore is while i'm on the toilet...so yeah - some people read newspapers, i read books

my current one is a forensic science crime book - the kind that explains how crime scene investigation actually works - and while i don't own it yet, as soon as i get it, i fully intend to make reading this my highest priority

https://www.amazon.com/Circus-WolfMan-Francine-Woodward-ebook/dp/B077MX8Q7Y​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
      Haven't had a lot of money for books lately, so not a lot of non-online reading. I did recently finish my third or fourth reread of The Silmarillion, and had to skim The Hitchhiker's Quartet for a quote. Oh, also reread Pratchett's Going Postal for the umpteenth time.

Been collecting Gail Simone's new Domino series, although after issue 10 it apparently segues into a new series called HotShots - basically a Marvel version of DC's Birds of Prey concept, except half the team are semi-reformed villains (the aforementioned Domino, Outlaw, and Diamondback; they're joined by Black Widow, a South Korean called White Fox who is in fact perhaps the last of the kumiho, and a Wakandan expat who goes by Atlas Bear).
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
      Revisiting Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and also reading Gidget.
      Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    • iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
      fanfic mostly, but I recently bought the first three in the dune series and the complete hitchhikers guide series(in one book), and own the main books of orson scott card's Ender/Shadow series. I reread them pretty regularly.
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      I have so many things i want to read but i never manage to get around to it anymore. And like I read a chapter at most before getting distracted with a forum post, a news article, or a game. The closest I've managed to accomplish is audio books through Audible, first I listened to LotR while driving because I can't read them without falling asleep, then when I wanted to reread Jurassic Park I got that audio book as well. Maybe I'll try it with some of the other books I've been meaning to read.
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      Got Xenos by Dan Abnett to start soon,
      It's about the Emperor's most holy Inquisition
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius