test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Phoenix Prize Pack Returns!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
The Phoenix Prize Pack returns on PC this week! Unlock the prizes of the past!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11099093

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    I've yet to get an epic. Maybe this time. But grateful more of the tech upgrades :)
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    It takes time for the exchange to fully respond to a Phoenix event, it has dropped by 10% or 30 points so far. Still the only sensible time to trade dil for zen.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Still no ISS Stabby, among other missing things. Phoenix box getting kinda tired and played out at this point if the minimal impact it's having on the DX is any sign. Soon it will be necessary to raise the cap the same way the Exchange cap was raised.
    I agree years ago I used to look forward now I think just another one why bother. Phoenix Box's used to be exciting but the lack of content being added to them has made term tried and boring. I can see how new players would still enjoy it but all I do now is open the shop see almost the entire shop grayed out and leave without spending anything.
    edited February 2019
    eazzie wrote: »
    I've yet to get an epic. Maybe this time. But grateful more of the tech upgrades :)
    Though I haven't seen any official figures, from the number of boxes I've opened and the number of tokens I've gotten, it's something like 1 in 500 for Ultra Rare tokens and 1 in 2,500 for Epics.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    During the first ever of these I got an Epic. Since I have all the ships availible at Epic Level, I traded it in for two URs and got the Bulwark and JHAS for my Characters.

Since then, nothing at any Level above VR.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jtk2811jtk2811 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It takes time for the exchange to fully respond to a Phoenix event, it has dropped by 10% or 30 points so far. Still the only sensible time to trade dil for zen.

Agreed, not at the same levels of previous events though
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Still no Bajorian Denorios when it should rightfully be there by now. Will spend when I see it :D
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    During the first ever of these I got an Epic. Since I have all the ships availible at Epic Level, I traded it in for two URs and got the Bulwark and JHAS for my Characters.

Since then, nothing at any Level above VR.

Not my very first time, but during the last run, I got an epic for the first time. I also traded for two UR and got those same ships. The Bulwark especially is pretty nice.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    jtk2811 wrote: »

Agreed, not at the same levels of previous events though
    Most likely due to being hot on the heels of the anniversary event and the Omega upgrades- a lot of players (myself included) will be saving the ones they crafted for the next upgrade event. Cryptic might be sneaky and have one right after the Phoenix event ends without announcing it on the calendar, wouldn't be the first time! :D
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Some new items in the box would be nice.

How about the old Temporal, Ferengi and Tholian DOffs?

Or the preorder items from launch?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Still no ISS Stabby, among other missing things. Phoenix box getting kinda tired and played out at this point if the minimal impact it's having on the DX is any sign. Soon it will be necessary to raise the cap the same way the Exchange cap was raised.

They seem to be following a one update per year formula for these now, which is a shame, especially when they miss something, like the Stadi card.

If they're looking for other things to put in there, there are still old Party Horns/Poppers. I think we're down to less than 10 of the one from the first anniversary on the exchange, now. There are also the starship emotes that they never put into the GPL store, like they said they would. I would rather pay dilithium for them than never have them for my alts.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    PARTY POPPERS!?!!?!!?! YEA!!!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    dkeith2011 wrote: »

They really don't need telling on this one, per the last Ten Forward Weekly the devs (Ex. Jette) have been wanting to add more items to the phoenix box store but with -everything else that occurs in development- they haven't been able to schedule the time. Next update should be a sizable one with the backlog (from what they said), but we'll see on what they can fit in under all constraints (see. proviso on talking about content in development, subject to change.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    They really don't need telling on this one, per the last Ten Forward Weekly the devs ... have been wanting to add more items to the phoenix box store but with -everything else that occurs in development- they haven't been able to schedule the time ...
    Thanks Duncan. Not everybody always has the time to listen to Ten Forward. Recaps or precis are always appreciated.
    Table entries.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Over 200 boxes opened - ONE ultra and ZERO epic results.

Why are the drop rates so low and why are the odds not published? Why is there not a meta percentage that increases with each opened box? Why can we not trade up tiers but only trade down?

Personally speaking I loathe this entire aspect of the game and quit every other MMO because of it.

I happen to be a lifelong Star Trek fan and have been here since alpha so I wont bail. In fact for the record, I spend well over $1k a year on STO to support Cryptic but I'll be glad the day the gamblebox (aka F2P) paradigm is removed from the industry frankly speaking.

Moreover I would spend a lot more but sadly things I'm really interested in are not being produced. Nonetheless I usually buy whatever is in the store despite never really using them just to support STO.

How about the old Temporal, Ferengi and Tholian DOffs?

Or the preorder items from launch?

I would love that as well as the special crafter ones too and the special promotional items for added goodness!
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2019

They really don't need telling on this one, per the last Ten Forward Weekly the devs (Ex. Jette) have been wanting to add more items to the phoenix box store but with -everything else that occurs in development- they haven't been able to schedule the time. Next update should be a sizable one with the backlog (from what they said), but we'll see on what they can fit in under all constraints (see. proviso on talking about content in development, subject to change.)

Thanks for the info on that one, Duncan, and I'd be willing to give them a pass on it for that reason...had Mike not himself, in another recent livestream, said unequivocally that the Stadi would be in the next release. I'd have to double-check which one for sure, but it was either the 13th or the 20th, and I was pretty hyped about this release based on his comments.
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    Take two, since Edit Monster appears to have resurfaced...

Thanks for the info on that one, Duncan, and I'd be willing to give them a pass on it for that reason...had Mike himself, in another recent livestream, said unequivocally that the Stadi would be in the next release. I'd have to double-check which one for sure, but it was the 13th or the 20th, and I was pretty hyped about this release based on his comment, since I still have several toons without that card.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    In all the time this has ran I have only ever got one very rare uncommon and rare usually get downgraded to get the upgrade tokens. Would love to get 1 epic token though
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kirk2811kirk2811 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    robeasom wrote: »
    In all the time this has ran I have only ever got one very rare uncommon and rare usually get downgraded to get the upgrade tokens. Would love to get 1 epic token though

I was lucky enough to get one epic with just 6 boxes bought. I'll never tempt my luck again tough lol. This happened more than a year ago
    Post edited by kirk2811 on
    It's not like they hadn't given these ships away for free (except JHAS and Bulwark) in the past. It wouldn't kill them to up the percentage for Epic and UR a smidge.

I have all the Event Ships Account unlocked anyway so it's not a big deal for me.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    For me other than the really low end items that are in the Rare or Uncommon, I tend to stay away from the Very Rare, and especially the Ultra Rare and Epic, simply put unless it is an account wide unlock, it is not worth it.

Based upon what people have posted here the Epic Drops seem to be ~0.2 - 0.5% (That’s somewhere between 1:200 to 1:500 drops, and Very Rare seems to be ~0.1 - 0.3% or every 1:100 to 1:300 drops

Doing Quick maths at the current exchange rates, for $50, or 5000 Zen can be converted to ~1.5million Dilithium, you can get ~370 loot boxes, if the odds are really 1:400 for an Epic (Character locked ship) then I would rather take my money and wait for a sale and purchase a bundle pack. That is three ships with an account wide unlock.

So simply put, would I spend $50 for a chance to maybe get one character bound T6 Ship. Or spend the same cash and get 3xT6 ship bundle, that are account wide.

The biggest issue with ALL these drop systems is with the odds being so low, it is very easy to have runs where you never see anything. This is not a Cryptic/STO issue either, this is all Lootbox style drops. There are two really simple solutions.

First allow for people to do a 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 exchange on the tokens. Somewhere back when this first started, I calculated that at 5:1 the odds to update are about the same as the current posted drop rates.

The Second option is to treat drops like a Monty Hall problem where each time you open a pack, if you did not receive the higher token the odds of that higher token would be reduced until you do get that token in which case the odds would be rest for that token type.
    Post edited by tobywitczak on
    I believe SWOTOR implemented something like that where when you open their newer Crates the odds go up to receive a Purple Item.

Two for one down and five to one or more up. The fact they charge ten Uncommon for a new Box which most likely will drop an Uncommon means they pretty much won't go for an Upgrade at all.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I thought I would say it, again:

PARTY POPPERS!?!!?!!?! YEA!!!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Event ended early, logged back on after the patch at 10:50am Central, which is 8:50am Pacific, and no Phoenix event. Supposed to end at 10am Pacific according to blog..."We are excited to announce the return of the Phoenix Prize Pack, which return to Star Trek Online on PC from February 28th at 8AM PT til March 7th at 10am PT."
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Can we bring back the "Heelrock" emote back into a Phoenix box too?​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    For me other than the really low end items that are in the Rare or Uncommon, I tend to stay away from the Very Rare, and especially the Ultra Rare and Epic, simply put unless it is an account wide unlock, it is not worth it.

Based upon what people have posted here the Epic Drops seem to be ~0.2 - 0.5% (That’s somewhere between 1:200 to 1:500 drops, and Very Rare seems to be ~0.1 - 0.3% or every 1:100 to 1:300 drops

Doing Quick maths at the current exchange rates, for $50, or 5000 Zen can be converted to ~1.5million Dilithium, you can get ~370 loot boxes, if the odds are really 1:400 for an Epic (Character locked ship) then I would rather take my money and wait for a sale and purchase a bundle pack. That is three ships with an account wide unlock.

So simply put, would I spend $50 for a chance to maybe get one character bound T6 Ship. Or spend the same cash and get 3xT6 ship bundle, that are account wide.

The biggest issue with ALL these drop systems is with the odds being so low, it is very easy to have runs where you never see anything. This is not a Cryptic/STO issue either, this is all Lootbox style drops. There are two really simple solutions.

First allow for people to do a 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 exchange on the tokens. Somewhere back when this first started, I calculated that at 5:1 the odds to update are about the same as the current posted drop rates.

The Second option is to treat drops like a Monty Hall problem where each time you open a pack, if you did not receive the higher token the odds of that higher token would be reduced until you do get that token in which case the odds would be rest for that token type.

I concur. The lootbox or gamblebox system is simply bad practice in my opinion; especially for items such as these.

For what it is worth, I really wish Cryptic would have ran two STO servers one for subscription based players and one for F2P. Anf if the subscription one as losing money (real numbers from Cryptic) I would have had no problem paying $50 - 100 or even more a month for subscription frankly speaking. It seems it would have been cheaper for me and far more rewarding but I digress...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Can we bring back the "Heelrock" emote back into a Phoenix box too?​​
    That was supposed to be a mission reward.