test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Commander Ethan Burgess

2»

Comments

• daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    For someone who grew up in London, he seems to have a pretty poor grasp of his native accent. Was it a deliberate decision to cast someone with a noticeably American twang (technical term, lol) in the role, or is it just another advertisement for the "Cryptic Studios Home for Incompetent Actors"?

2410 is as far away from us as we are from Shakespeare. Accents are likely fairly different.

Maybe sometime in the 2100s, London was colonised by bad American actors....

As a Yank living in "Awl Blighty" for the past fifteen years, I find Ethan Burgess difficult to listen to. And by "difficult," I mean, "painful." When I load his missions, I have to either turn off the speakers or leave the room. I actually recommend him to my English friends and in-laws for something to laugh at.

You've redubbed most of the early missions with DS9 actors. Can you please redub EVERYTHING involving Ethan Burgess?

Surely there are honest-to-God English actors somewhere in the vicinity of Santa Clara County?
  • daderganonumbersdaderganonumbers Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    The difference between Patrick Stewart playing a Frenchman and Jon St John playing an Englishman is Sir Patrick never once tried to sound "Fronch." If Jon would just talk in his native Virginian accent, all would be forgiven.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    For someone who grew up in London, he seems to have a pretty poor grasp of his native accent. Was it a deliberate decision to cast someone with a noticeably American twang (technical term, lol) in the role, or is it just another advertisement for the "Cryptic Studios Home for Incompetent Actors"?

2410 is as far away from us as we are from Shakespeare. Accents are likely fairly different.

Maybe sometime in the 2100s, London was colonised by bad American actors....

As a Yank living in "Awl Blighty" for the past fifteen years, I find Ethan Burgess difficult to listen to. And by "difficult," I mean, "painful." When I load his missions, I have to either turn off the speakers or leave the room. I actually recommend him to my English friends and in-laws for something to laugh at.

You've redubbed most of the early missions with DS9 actors. Can you please redub EVERYTHING involving Ethan Burgess?

Surely there are honest-to-God English actors somewhere in the vicinity of Santa Clara County?

Really? This thread is 4 and a half years old.. you really think it warranted your reply now?

How do you people even find these ancient threads?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    By the power of Grayskull I banish ye foul necromancy. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.