test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Sunset, April 11th, 2019

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,242 Community Moderator
    tomilak wrote: »
    Gets Bad Moon a drink and something for the headache.

Thanks. Much appreciated. :lol:

FYI the mods are unpaid volunteers. They aren't employees with any inside knowledge.

Yes, this is a mostly true statement, as it is part of my signature. :wink:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Welp. There goes my go to place for TOS missions. Now there is nothing to break the monotony of doing the same old missions over and over again.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    I rarely have time to go through a full fledged Foundry mission anymore, it's almost as hard as it is to find time for the full normal missions now that they've gotten so long. But this is sad. On a level I understand, but surely you can leave the missions themselves in, even if you shut down the creation feature. When Star Trek first aired, NBC was going to cancel it in its second season. If there's enough support could we perhaps preserve the extant Foundry missions?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I rarely have time to go through a full fledged Foundry mission anymore, it's almost as hard as it is to find time for the full normal missions now that they've gotten so long. But this is sad. On a level I understand, but surely you can leave the missions themselves in, even if you shut down the creation feature. When Star Trek first aired, NBC was going to cancel it in its second season. If there's enough support could we perhaps preserve the extant Foundry missions?

Foundry missions that are published will be preserved by the devs, but will not be accessible by the public.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • clcopelandclcopeland Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Foundry missions that are published will be preserved by the devs, but will not be accessible by the public.

I believe in my heart of hearts at least this part is a mistake, especially the spotlight missions. At least open the spotlight missions up and let them be accessible to the public. I'm happy that the information is at least archived in some way, but what a loss.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Making Youtube videos is one way to do it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    I'm feeling kind of sad about this announcement, although a part of me is not surprised. About 4-5 years ago I was really into the Foundry, and I spent some considerable amount of time making my missions. It's no exaggeration to say I've spent hundreds of hours in the Foundry, probably more than I spent in the rest of the game.

I really enjoyed making missions and sharing them with others. And it seems at least a few people out there enjoyed my missions, despite them being so text heavy that it would take a couple hours to get through them. Unfortunately, I grew disillusioned with the way Crypic was maintaining the Foundry, and things also changed in my life so I didn't have as much time to devote to it, so I decided to leave the game.

The unfortunate truth is that the Foundry has slowly been dying for a long time. When I came back to the game about a month ago I discovered that the problems plaguing the Foundry (constant down times, updates breaking it, features not working, mission search not working) had continued after I left. It seems to me that Cryptic has never had a solid concept of what the Foundry was for. It feels like they tacked it on to the game, and did give it some resources but never enough to really put it on solid footing.

Some say that Cryptic saw no return on their investment. I say that they never really leveraged the Foundry to its full potential which would have allowed them to realize that return. By engaging more with the Foundry community, I think the Foundry missions could have been integrated more heavily into the game. But it is what it is, no one there really saw the potential that I believe the Foundry had.

In the end, what saddens me the most is that there are a lot of pretty amazing missions in the Foundry. All of those will now be lost to the nether. I guess that's life, or put another way "All Good Things..." I still feel sad though, not only that my missions won't be available for others to enjoy, but also that I'll no longer be able to enjoy the great work that others put out there. None of us did it for the money, and certainly not for the little glory there was to be had, it was purely out of love for Star Trek and the desire to tell some stories in this world!

Anyway, I salute the other Foundry authors, many of whom stuck in there much longer than me. I'm sure we all wish things had ended differently, but in the end all things must end.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2019
    (Flaming comments removed. Because it's the rules. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    On another note, I wish that the "sunset" period could have been a bit longer. A period of say 3 months would have been nicer (6 months would be better still, but let's be realistic). That way we could have some time to play through these missions before they disappear. Only a one month warning isn't a whole lot of time.

What about people who are currently working on a mission? It would have been nice to give them time to get it out there. I don't know, the way that this was handled seems to me like it could have been a lot better.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    All soldiers pass on. Rest in peace, old friend. You will be remembered and missed.
    ADPWinM.jpg

nYv4TFB.jpg

FTFY

Anyways...

I am so goddamned sick of Cryptic REMOVING content. This game has lost more content than has been added. @#$#, I don't even like the foundry... I HATE the foundry, and this makes me not wanna play anymore.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    edited March 2019

I'm afraid the problem is that the missions will just break. There's some issue with how the Foundry is attached to the game so that any changes to the main game break the Foundry missions. Even if the missions were left up, it would just be a matter of time until the next big update came out.

As to why this is the case with the Foundry? Who knows? I guess the original programming implementation wasn't the best. But that's all water under the bridge at this point.
  • rkinnerkinne Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    April 11th will be one of my last days in the game. I don't like ST:D or any of it's in game content, so I've played as little Age of Discovery's stuff as little as possible and have favored the brilliance of the Foundry as a replacement. Since Cryptic has made it clear all their resources are placed on Discovery (see the roadmap and Priority One interviews) for the foreseeable future, so there is little point in continuing to play content I don 't like and have no intention of paying for. I just don't see how they're going to keep fitting the series into STO given such huge gaps in time between Discovery and the Star Trek Online era, the time travel and simulation aspects will get old fast.

I'd like to urge Cryptic to change their minds on this decision, there are plenty of other people out there that play this game just for the Foundry (there are even podcasts devoted to it). So what if thirty percent of the player base uses it? How many of the thirty percent will leave the game when Foundry goes away and what impact will losing a good chunk of those players impact STO's bottom line? I'm not even considering the loss of players from Never Winter.

• rkinnerkinne Member Posts: 5 Arc User

Why save these missions and not allow to be played makes no sense?
  • klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Was there ever really a big enough intention to keep the Foundry going? It was bugged pretty continuously. It feels in retrospect like it was made for the earlier years of the game to help supplement the lack of overall content depth at launch. Now that there are more missions & expansions it seems they think the game can walk on its own now. Like a carrot that was dangled in front of us - but they didn't know what to do with the Foundry's big picture and capability. Or did they just not know how to fix it. Which is disturbing on a whole other level. One of the nice things about the Foundry was having a place to go play/create missions when you were all "finished" in the current game looking for more storytelling - not just more grinding. I suppose there wasn't any money gained from this feature. I would have paid a monthly subscription just to have this working/routinely maintained and updated!

It's too bad the Foundry system couldn't have been adapted to at least allow players to setup the interiors of their own ships in more detail, akin to how Final Fantasy XIV is currently doing it. Imagine: clicking to go into your bridge, then the UI changes so you can layout the bridge, ready room, engineering, corridors, transporter room, Ten Forward, Crew/Captain Quarters, Sick Bay, Science Labs, Docking Bay, Holodeck, ETC. ETC. If it's a money issue for allotting resources, then heck - do a cash grab and charge for the ability to access this feature. It just feels like a step backwards in the wrong direction. With the game as old as it is and new Star Trek shows being in development you would think STO would be ADDING content features...ya know...the kind that were envisioned and we were told to anticipate in this games lifecycle? (Sigh...alas...)

Here's my salute...

Memories of the Foundry:

-All of the old Foundry mission contests :)
    -The incredible creativity and writing
    -The sandbox style of play
    -The incredible INCREDIBLE maps that were made
    -Player Author's attention to detail and Trek lore
    -The depth of gameplay and exploration that was really only brought to the game THROUGH the Foundry
    -Story arcs and Foundry characters that were developed that we learned to love!
    -All of the Foundry fan podcasts, videos, and community

So sad and disappointing. It's all about the bottom line. :'( Hopefully Foundry will be replaced with something even better? I always thought it should be called the HOLODECK - where you can create the missions/environments you want.

A farewell to all my published Foundry Missions. Play them while they are still alive and not lost to oblivion!
    Or just watch the mission trailers! LOL - So fun to make!

The Zypex Intrusion
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=oJq6BYQpxfA

The Zypex Revelation
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sUFWn5CQl9M

(Glad I didn't start the 3rd part of the trilogy, and spend countless hours on a new mission only to be deleted weeks later)

Technobabble
    "Save DJ Spoonhead"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QCkHoMUyVVg

Maiden Voyage
    "What really happened to Voyager at DS9"

Play them while they are still alive and not lost to oblivion! So long Foundry Gang - we will NEVER FORGET!

-The Magnificent Clinto
    Klintobean...ending transmission
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Guys, I've maintained legacy software. The only reason we were able to recode from 10 was because it was a military shop, so budgeting our hours wasn't a major concern (there's no such thing as overtime for an A1C).

Here, Cryptic has to consider the cost per hour of coding. And the resources necessary. Like I said, a proper rewrite would require that this game be pretty much abandoned for 1-3 years while all hands are asses-and-elbows at the coding terminals. It's a frakload cheaper, and better for the playerbase in the long run, to cut loose of the part that (and you may have missed this bit) breaks each and every time there's a game update.

If that means you personally have to go, well, for most of you I'm sorry to see you go, and hope to see you here again one day. But this decision means that it's possible for the game to be here that day.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    DgzGcGb.jpg

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • acidbuk#5004 acidbuk Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Look, I'm not saying don't be upset, disappointed, sad, even pi$$ed off. But the talk about ulterior motives and predictions that the game will shut down are just getting ridiculous.

Dude, the fact that we have two Community Moderators trying to dismiss the idea of 'ulterior motives' by PW/Cryptic as mere "Conspiracy Theory" is in and of itself highly suspicions and means people might not be as far off. In all honesty You guys probably arn't any more privy to the Machiavellian Moustache twirling of the Cake Eaters than we are :P

No, it just means that you're paranoid, can't accept the facts that have been presented to you, and oddly find some comfort in the idea that the developers are secretly trying to ruin your fun because it amuses them. As to what I may or may not be privy to, well, I'll let your paranoia fill in the blanks there. It will anyway despite anything I might say.

With all due respect, Bit uncalled for yeah? I don't see how you can make that judgement about my character I've rarely ever said anything here about anything. Plus I never said I agreed with the people that are claiming some ulterior motive or that they are right. My Comment was more Tongue in cheek than anything serious, I was poking fun at ridiculousness of it all, that we've got to the point we have two moderators literally having to pull a "There is nothing to see here! Move Along!" like Officer Barbrady doing his best to hide an alien abduction. and that PW seem to have engendered such inherent distrust from a swath of the community and that you guys have to do that is just sad on both counts. When it comes down to it, You guys don't know any more than we do,

For the record I don't think this is any more than what they said it is even if I do think it is catastrophically stupid. My own experience in IT tell me there is not a day goes by when an executive with a bad idea doesn't come bumbling into mission control shovelling something into his mouth. :tongue:
  • tomebe11tomebe11 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    To be honest guys in actually not sure if I want to play anymore as taking the foundry away is like taking STO away. I may not have had the same experience with the foundry as @mattjohnsonva but I was learning, having fun and I found a creative outlet through which most of my unanswered ST and STO stories could be channeled. I had started a series of missions called Project Arcturus which I cannot complete and that devastates me completely. I even have an effect/twist in my 3rd story mission that I personally haven't seen anywhere else and that was the power of the foundry, CREATIVITY. For all the times I bitched about bugs within the foundry editor I never wanted this to happen. Please reconsider
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, if they are keeping the Foundry Missions but not making them accessible, do what I did with the Missions they removed from the Romulan and Cardassian Arcs. Pick them up now to put them in your Mission Journal. I can still run them but there is no Dialog Box to start it outside a System, for example, but if you enter the System the flyby shows up. You can run it normally but you may not be able to turn it in.

A good example would be the 'Defeat Captains, 12 waves'. Start it up, get your six and exit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    clcopeland wrote: »

I believe in my heart of hearts at least this part is a mistake, especially the spotlight missions. At least open the spotlight missions up and let them be accessible to the public. I'm happy that the information is at least archived in some way, but what a loss.

They did look at doing this, but there's no way for that to work, because of the way the Foundry works.

rkinne wrote: »

Why save these missions and not allow to be played makes no sense?

Because, and without promising anything, they would love to bring the Foundry back one day, so they didn't want any of that work to be lost.
    GrWzQke.png
    Look, I'm not saying don't be upset, disappointed, sad, even pi$$ed off. But the talk about ulterior motives and predictions that the game will shut down are just getting ridiculous.

Dude, the fact that we have two Community Moderators trying to dismiss the idea of 'ulterior motives' by PW/Cryptic as mere "Conspiracy Theory" is in and of itself highly suspicions and means people might not be as far off. In all honesty You guys probably arn't any more privy to the Machiavellian Moustache twirling of the Cake Eaters than we are :P

No, it just means that you're paranoid, can't accept the facts that have been presented to you, and oddly find some comfort in the idea that the developers are secretly trying to ruin your fun because it amuses them. As to what I may or may not be privy to, well, I'll let your paranoia fill in the blanks there. It will anyway despite anything I might say.

With all due respect, Bit uncalled for yeah? I don't see how you can make that judgement about my character I've rarely ever said anything here about anything. Plus I never said I agreed with the people that are claiming some ulterior motive or that they are right. My Comment was more Tongue in cheek than anything serious, I was poking fun at ridiculousness of it all, that we've got to the point we have two moderators literally having to pull a "There is nothing to see here! Move Along!" like Officer Barbrady doing his best to hide an alien abduction. and that PW seem to have engendered such inherent distrust from a swath of the community and that you guys have to do that is just sad on both counts. When it comes down to it, You guys don't know any more than we do,

For the record I don't think this is any more than what they said it is even if I do think it is catastrophically stupid. My own experience in IT tell me there is not a day goes by when an executive with a bad idea doesn't come bumbling into mission control shovelling something into his mouth. :tongue:

Then I apologize for my misinterpretation of your post with regards to you personally. For those that do earnestly hold that stance regarding conspiracy theories and doomsaying, I stand by it.
    GrWzQke.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If they just put some tlc (or replaced it with a better version) they could use it to there advantage

From the sounds of it, the code for the foundry was probably poorly notated and the people who built it have likely since left Cryptic, so the TLC part isn't possible anymore. Completely removing it though is just ridiculous, it's functional despite it's limitations and only needs the new assets added in periodically.

I think this will end up being the single worst decision Cryptic has made in recent years. Players who spend large amounts of time creating will suddenly not be able to anymore, and everyone else will have significantly less to do between new mission releases. When the next expansion releases with only five new missions on launch day expect the complaints to be FAR louder now that we won't have the foundry to fall back on.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Wow, what a terrible idea.

Not to say I don't understand. If the folks who knew how to run it are all gone and for whatever reason didn't bother to leave behind any meaningful documentation or train anyone on how to use it, then that's just that and there's nothing you can really do about it now.

But there's gonna be backlash. There's gonna be consequences. In all my years watching this game develop, seeing how passionate people were about getting this feature added to start with... In nine years in this community, I've never banged the doom gong. But no matter how I look at this situation, I can't shake the feeling this is going to be a fateful decision.
  • klintobean81klintobean81 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    If they just put some tlc (or replaced it with a better version) they could use it to there advantage

From the sounds of it, the code for the foundry was probably poorly notated and the people who built it have likely since left Cryptic, so the TLC part isn't possible anymore. Completely removing it though is just ridiculous, it's functional despite it's limitations and only needs the new assets added in periodically.

I think this will end up being the single worst decision Cryptic has made in recent years. Players who spend large amounts of time creating will suddenly not be able to anymore, and everyone else will have significantly less to do between new mission releases. When the next expansion releases with only five new missions on launch day expect the complaints to be FAR louder now that we won't have the foundry to fall back on.

^^^Yes! Exactly this!^^^
    Conspiracy theories, ha.

https://youtu.be/X4XhhTF7vRM
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    One thing that wasnt clear on the livestream was weather these "rewards" for creating a story would only go to current published missions or to people who have ever publisished a mission.

It was asked repeatedly and he just ignored them then said had no new questions to end the feed. Also for playing a mission rewards as well. Never got a straight answer.
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    This is a huge mistake, through and through. I hope that the powers that be understand that you are stealing our ability to create. This is disgusting. It's sad from a video game standpoint, and it's sad from a Star Trek standpoint. You've robbed us this day.
  • mynamesthedoctormynamesthedoctor Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I disagree with closing the Foundry, at least without a viable replacement for it. I wonder what this means for the future of STO in general. I have spent a lot of money on this game for many years, but this decision will really give me pause before choosing to spend more money on it going forward. I do want to support Star Trek and Star Trek Online, on the one hand, but on the other, I really don't want to waste my money on something that's essentially declining (in content, variety, quality, and options for players).

To my fellow players/customers, I respectfully suggest thinking it over when making this same decision for yourselves. I also recommend that you continue to voice your concerns and feedback to Cryptic/PWE if they seem open to considering it.

To Cryptic/PWE, my suggestion is that you please listen to the feedback and concerns raised by many long-term paying customers and really consider if this is truly the best decision or not. What alternative options are there? Are you willing to consider what customers have shared here and make a course alteration to show good faith towards the STO community, and a willingness to listen and respond constructively and creatively to the concerns that have been brought up?

Certainly, it is preferable to have "cooler heads prevail" but that being said, I can understand the disappointment, frustration, and headache this is causing many players. As a long-term player (since beta) myself, I have spent a great deal of time, effort, energy, and money on this game, so I can very much relate to the feelings of others about this. Players are rightfully concerned and upset.

If the Foundry is irrevocably broken and must be retired, perhaps there is at least the option of building a better replacement to fill in the big gap that shutting it down will undoubtedly create. With the proper time, energy, focus, and attention devoted to it, it could be very successful, more than the Foundry ever was.

Hopefully there is room for some positive improvement in all this, and a way to offer an alternative that's modernized, less prone to problems, stable, and would necessarily address the complaints about the Foundry while building on its positive attributes and strengths. Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but at least it is thinking and trying to be thoughtful and considerate to all.

It is not my intention to insult or offend anyone, but rather, I hope my own thoughts may contribute towards a positive outcome.
This discussion has been closed.