What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ETA?

14567810»

Comments

• phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    This is really grim.

Foundry is probably the ONLY thing that sets them apart from the rest of the market that would give them a nice spot in the competition that would intrigue players with a chance to make their own quests and stories.

Neverwinter's Foundry even sort of helps making a more faithful "D&D" experience by having the quest author as the Dungeon Master and has so much potential too, and at least that editor is a bit better designed than STO's, but again it has Much room for improvement.

By neglecting it this much is just shortsighted, and they wonder why players are leaving.

I mean what do they have to offer to players that other, newer and better designed games don't?
    Post edited by phoeniz1994 on
    0he9rXF.png
  • phoeniz1994phoeniz1994 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited February 2019

I mean what do they have to offer to players that other, newer and better designed games don't?

The IP, and that's it.

sure, but judging as how Trek is currently recepted i don't know how much it is worth to players, and ven then it's really not a big deal anymore, the big IP thing that is, people are as much capale of tearing down the biggest IPs as ever now (look at how Star Wars is doing now just to name an example, or the new Metro for ONE mishandling by the publisher)...

But really, i am even willing to accept that they rework a New, Better foundry from the ground up, tearing away the old one, if that means it will be an easier job for them into keeping it afloat and well maintained, and it would even finally cast away the (excuse) issue of the old employees having tampered with it and the new guys not even knowing what buttons do...

We already lost the Exploration System we believed they would rework, how much more can they tear away that would make this game even more generic?

And if it's too "complicated": don't they even Streamline their coding / game build just in case because of such a mobile job market as Gamedevs, what would they do if the same happens for more critical areas and the guy who knows how to fix it is retired or sent away?

Shouldn't they have known that the Foundry Creators would have went away or retired at some point?

I mean i am not trying to start flaming or stuff like that, it's just Basic Game Developement logic at stake here, shouldn't they have had a "contingency plan" for all those issues, and not even involving lots of money to be spent more, just "keeping notes" somewhere?
    0he9rXF.png
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

The IP, and that's it.

sure, but judging as how Trek is currently recepted i don't know how much it is worth to players, and ven then it's really not a big deal anymore, the big IP thing that is, people are as much capale of tearing down the biggest IPs as ever now (look at how Star Wars is doing now just to name an example, or the new Metro for ONE mishandling by the publisher)...

But really, i am even willing to accept that they rework a New, Better foundry from the ground up, tearing away the old one, if that means it will be an easier job for them into keeping it afloat and well maintained, and it would even finally cast away the (excuse) issue of the old employees having tampered with it and the new guys not even knowing what buttons do...

We already lost the Exploration System we believed they would rework, how much more can they tear away that would make this game even more generic?

And if it's too "complicated": don't they even Streamline their coding / game build just in case because of such a mobile job market as Gamedevs, what would they do if the same happens for more critical areas and the guy who knows how to fix it is retired or sent away?

Shouldn't they have known that the Foundry Creators would have went away or retired at some point?

I mean i am not trying to start flaming or stuff like that, it's just Basic Game Developement logic at stake here, shouldn't they have had a "contingency plan" for all those issues, and not even involving lots of money to be spent more, just "keeping notes" somewhere?
    Its the most stupid decision they have made to date.
    If they just put some tlc (or replaced it with a better version) they could use it to there advantage, as myself and many others have said they could have done seasons between content drought where playing foundry missions would grand some sort of reward. This would have given them more time to create content without worrying about player numbers.

Im done with this news, while i am a lifer and have gotten many good years playing this game from it i often baught extrz zen for a T6 ship among other things but i shall not be doing so again, the content they create is not enougth to warrent doing so.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    edited March 2019
    please keep all complaints about the foundry in the official threads for this issue
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.