Options

Star Trek Series Ranking Poll

2»

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    >
    > The man who proved you don't need a gun to be a hero. Just brains, access to raw materials, and some imagination.
    >
    > And a Swiss Army Knife. ;)

This is a message I really miss these days. I love MacGyver for that, and the calm narrative of his thought process 😂

But the thing about guns and violence. Take the Star Trek point and click adventure games, 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites and A Final Unity. Obviously you have phasers in those games, and you can use them at certain points in the gane. However you only ever achieve the perfect score in either game if you never use the phaser as a weapon against another living being (25th has one exception where you have to shoot soneone, but it turns out to be a robot decoy which you however can't know at that point).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Yea I'm familiar with 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites. I actually have disc copies of them as well as digital via GOG and Steam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Hmm, let's see...

TOS - 8/10
    TNG - 9/10
    DS9 - 8/10
    VOY - 9/10

Haven't seen rest of the series enough to give you an educated rating.

If you also want movies...
    Motion Picture - 6/10
    Wrath of Khan - 10/10
    Search for Spock - 10/10
    Voyage Home - 10/10
    Final Frontier - 6/10
    Undiscovered Country - 8/10
    Generations - 10/10
    First Contact - 10/10
    Insurrection - 9/10
    Nemesis - 6/10
    2009 - 6/10
    Into Darkness - 4/10
    Beyond - n/a (haven't seen)

And since we're also doing the "rate the non-Trek sci-fi series" game, I'll give both MacGyver ... 9(.5)/10.

The 1985 version or the 2016 version?

The original with Richard Dean Anderson, obviously. :)

The original Macgyver was king but so was Knight Rider, A-Team, Airwolf.. so many other great shows.
    Getting a bit off topic with all that nostalgia! xD
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Hey, nostalgia is good. And kudos for the Space: Above and Beyond mention! =D Some mid 90s fun there.

And for my 2 dilithium worth on Trek ...

TOS: 10. It started it all, and I have a fondness for that whole retro sci-fi thing anyway.
    TNG: 9 Tea, Earl Grey, hot! Make it so. Picard is groovy.
    DS9: 8 Admittedly I've just seen bits and pieces of DS9. But I do like what I've seen.
    VOY: 5 Not bad, could take or leave. Do like the character of Tom Paris, though.
    ENT: n/a
    DSC: n/a. Though I must confess that when I hear the name "Discovery" I associate it with the ship from 200: Space Odyssey, not Trek. o.o
    TAS: 9 It's a good take on post TOS Trek, IMO, and fun. I dig it.

I'll chime on on the movies as well.

TMP: 9. Sure, it's not a big action thriller. Still, I fondly remember watching it as a kid.
    TWOK: 11! IMO, Wrath is the Trek series in general's finest hour, hands down. Lots of fun watching it in the early 80s every chance I got.
    SFS: 10. A great follow up to Wrath. In fact, one fine summer day in 1984, I watched Wrath on TV, and saw Search in the theater later that day. That was epic.
    TVH: 10. A fun movie in the 1980s! Complete with whales, and I swear, the score's composer really had a thing for x-mas! XD
    TFF: 4 ... yeesh. This was a stinker. "What does god want with a star ship ... ?" I find myself wanting to skip when running Trek marathons. -_- Well I did enjoy the camping scenes. The one saving grace, singing by men infamous for their ... "singing".
    TUC: 8. A vast improvement after the previous movie. A good send off for the classic Enterprise crew.

GEN: 10. A fun movie with both Kirk and Picard!
    FC: 10 A very fun movie.
    INS: 8 A nice movie there.
    NEM: 6 Not bad, not great.

ST 09: 10 Enjoyed seeing it in the theather, and the occasional re-watch for marathons.
    ST ID: 5 Felt like a pale imitation of Wrath.
    STB: 7 Nice fun movie, with a nice nod to the Prime Universe at the end.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    My series rankings:

TNG 10 I began with TNG and love Data. Like Picard as well. Have not finished all of it yet

VOY 9 Subtract a point because of a lot of episodes had to do with anomalies, if there had been less of that it would have been better. I am still in the final season. Have been busy trying to read books and reduce my personal library, will get back to it eventually.

ENT 8 or 9 One or two points subtracted because of the death of Trip, the final episode which I did not like, would have been better if Riker had lost some weight and there was no connection to TNG at all, I wanted Season 5 of that show and for a while joined a campaign for that to be reality until Scott Bakula got involved with NCIS: New Orleans. Have watched all the episodes. Would have been better if Enterprise had used symphonic music like how Archer's Theme is at the end of the episode. I don't hate it, it grew on me but it could have been better on that score.

DS9 8 or 9 One or two points subtracted because of one episode where was a conflict between a certain sect of Bajorans vs. Keiko O'Brien, I wish that had been a discussion on worldviews instead of being preachy on the subject. Good episode about the effects of war and the Tosk episode which I liked, and there might have been more episodes I liked. Have not finished it all.

TOS 7 or 8 It is hard for me to get into the series but I have watched some episodes, thankful that Star Trek can be done now with more of a budget instead of a shoestring budget, it worked then, it does not work now, like how many of the sounds have been incorporated into Star Trek: Discovery.

DSC 9 A point subtracted for relying on a narrative arc and not an episodic format, it can be hard to remember things but the beginning of the episode that mentions what happened before helps things to be kept in context, I watched these on DVD and not on CBS All Access. I like the characters and everyone is complex, the episode involving the internal struggle between Tyler and Voq was intense, etc). Wish the episodes were more in-depth at times. Will not watch Season 2 until either I get CBS All Access or wait until the DVD comes out. The look of the Discovery has grown on me better than it looked previously before the series got rolling.

TAS 7 or 8 At times it seemed educational and less Star Trek like, wished more of the TOS stars had been involved in the series, the Kzinti would have had a different colored uniform if the one doing them had caught he was colorblind before that made it into the episode The Slaver Weapon, curious what that would have looked like. Very relevant episode called The Jihad. Wished the series it had lasted longer to at least Season 3 or Season 2 had been longer.

I would have to watch the movies more, to have an idea what I would rate them as being in my honest opinion. Some I have not yet watched. Thanks.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    TOS - probably 7/10. I do enjoy it but some of the episodes are just terrible (Spock's Brain for example.....).

TAS - never seen it other than a few clips.

TNG - 9/10, the one I grew up with live. Some great genre defining episodes but sadly some real stinkers too. And bizarrely terribly non-PC, even in places almost a step back from TOS.

DS9 - 8/10, I enjoyed most of it but found the whole war arc a bit tedious.

VOY - 7/10, some good fun episodes but it's where it started to spoil some aspects of Trek; too much technobabble, ruined the Borg, annoying characters, no decent ending.

ENT - 7/10, I enjoyed that later episodes and it did have some interesting ideas to tie in some of the oddities of past shows (the Fu-manchu Klingons etc.). But it was cut off in its prime, and that last episode was terrible.

DSC - 9/10, I'm really enjoying S2. The first season was a bit iffy and tried to do too much I think (should have kept the Mirror stuff for another season I think) but it has improved and they listen to criticism it seems. It's heading the right way I feel and it looks wonderful on screen with the high production values.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Seaquest DSV 8 for season 1, drops to 5 by season 3.

Any idea where you can watch this at the moment? I used to watch it growing up but not seen it for ages. Would love to catch up on old times.

SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Seaquest DSV 8 for season 1, drops to 5 by season 3.

Any idea where you can watch this at the moment? I used to watch it growing up but not seen it for ages. Would love to catch up on old times.

it used to stream but its no longer online
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    The only order that makes sense to me based upon my preferences, and which probably shows my age too:

1) The Original Series .... Because why "NOT" when it started the ball rolling?
    2) Deep Space Nine .... easily the best of the spin-off series
    3) Voyager .... not too far off of the mark established by DS9
    4) The Next Generation .... absolutely terrible for it's first four seasons, but Worf, Data, Geordi and Picard were always okay.
    5) Enterprise .... Botched prequel series with cast members that went badly underutilized (Hoshi & Travis for sure; Reed to some extent)
    6) The Animated Series .... a cartoon seemed fine in its day, but unwatchable now!
    7) Discovery .... an abortion that lives for reasons that defy explanation?
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    TBH, I don't like giving things top mark just because it was the first. You wouldn't say the Model T was the best mass-produced automobile just because it came first, would you? TOS will always be special for being the show that started it all, but that doesn't make it the best on its own merits.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    TBH, I don't like giving things top mark just because it was the first. You wouldn't say the Model T was the best mass-produced automobile just because it came first, would you? TOS will always be special for being the show that started it all, but that doesn't make it the best on its own merits.

Which is sort of why just above my list, I specified "my own preferences."