test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we get some love for Plasma weapons?

lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
Both energy and projectile...

There hasn't been a new plasma torpedo in a long time, in fact every single type has gotten multiple new torpedoes since the last plasma torpedo. Plasma is only one of two types that doesn't have a wide angle torpedo.

Plasma energy is also the only weapon type that doesn't have access to two omni beams
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Plasma mission Omni would be super helpful for some of ships... Wouldn't be as bad if they just allowed a crafted + lockbox and we could use the ferengi one
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    Plasma mission Omni would be super helpful for some of ships... Wouldn't be as bad if they just allowed a crafted + lockbox and we could use the ferengi one

I was hoping maybe they would have added a Romulan Plasma omni with T6 reps but that never came to be :'(
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    My one problem with plasma weapons is that they can backfire on you when using them, especially if you have a ship that doesn't turn fast enough to get you out of the way of the explosion. Some people actually think that's a positive thing but often keeps me from wanting to use them.

I did notice how annoying it is when I have a ship with plasma pets that are firing plasma torpedoes all over space. Almost always, i'm guaranteed to be in the line of fire. I only discovered the elite version of these pets just makes it worse.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    My one problem with plasma weapons is that they can backfire on you when using them, especially if you have a ship that doesn't turn fast enough to get you out of the way of the explosion. Some people actually think that's a positive thing but often keeps me from wanting to use them.

I did notice how annoying it is when I have a ship with plasma pets that are firing plasma torpedoes all over space. Almost always, i'm guaranteed to be in the line of fire. I only discovered the elite version of these pets just makes it worse.

The only Plasma weapon that does that is Torpedoes fired on high-yield (Rom rep torpedo default fires high yields). You could use torp spreads all day and not have to worry about that. And yes the Scorpions have high yield torpedo as a skill
  • Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Funny this came up today because I was just thinking about this due to the personal endeavor for plasma space damage.

I was looking at the Infinity weapons rewards for plasma and even that is pretty disappointing. For instance, the Chronoplasma and plasmatic biomatter weapons are essentially the same weapon. That only leave the corrosive plasma as the last choice (isolytic and ferengi procs not really attractive), but the beam is yellow in color.

The Romulan rep weapons are probably the most attractive, however the cannon sound effects could be better. The Lobi weapons are too expensive to expirament with.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The alt rep set was the most blatantly obvious way of getting a 2nd viable plasma omni into the game.

Kinetic magnet boff ability does help a bit with avoiding friendly fire from plasma torps. Other than simply keeping your own distance from target a bit higher than for other pets.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    For a long time Tetryon was the unloved stepchild of damage types.
    "Proc is useless" being the common complaint. Now look at all the things that support Tetryon. Done right a Tet build can rival top end Disruptor and Phaser builds. AP probably still edges out slightly due to higher innate crit chance.

Plasma is due for some love now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I too would love to see some love to Plasma.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I love plasma but it's so woefully under developed imo at this point compared to the other energy types. It's got a few things that help it but it's not quite there yet. Biggest thing is it needs a mission reward omni and mission reward gear tailored specifically to it. I also want to see the plasma energy torp get reworked as right now it's poo in my book. Would love to see more support for plasma so add my name to the list here.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Ah I remember the good old days when the Romulan plasma beams and the Hyperplasma torp with the beam overload from the full set were top notch and melted hulls. I tried the Hyper torp a while back and was very underwhelmed with it even using a torp doff to make it an near endless spray of torps. Plasma could do with some love
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Both are in a better state that plasma mines which are terrible and even worse under developed then plasma torps or energy. I use quantum mines which not only hit for more damage then plasma + plasma DoT combined but the quantum mines also have a higher DoT damage over time then then Plasma.

Why use a 6k plasma mine with a 2.2k Plasma dot over 15seconds. When you can use a 14k quantum mine with a 6k+ Dot over 6 seconds. OR something along those lines.

Or to put it another way my quantum Damage over time breaks past 1000+ per second. My Plasma hit barely for half of that.

Plasma is just obsolete and useless now :(

EDIT: Please note the above numbers are not 100% accurate and estimated from memory but do follow the correct lines.
  • Options
    Wait... Quantum causing a DoT? I thought they just hit hard like Quantum Torpedos...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Wait... Quantum causing a DoT? I thought they just hit hard like Quantum Torpedos...
    With the trait Omega Kinetic Shearing 12.5% of the Quantum damage turns into a 6 second DoT which is massively higher then the Dot you can get from Plasma. So with Quantum you both hit harder and have a high damage DoT making Plasma obsolete with no point to them.

Then combine that with Reverberation so the target has no shields and Resonating Payload to lower Kinetic resistance which in turn boosts the Quantum DoT damage and you can end up with a Quantum Dot of over 1000 per second without criticals.

Even without all the traits a single Quantum hit will do more damage in 1 second then a Plasma hit does over 15seconds. So apart from the fun themed build there is no real point in using plasma it just massively underperforms.

Transphasic has falling into a similar problem like plasma it has scaled badly with the new item levels and now photon or Quantum will hit harder though full shields then Transphasic making them obsolete.
  • Options
    That's staking traits though. Adding variables. I think we're trying to discuss baseline unmodded.
  • Options
    That's staking traits though. Adding variables. I think we're trying to discuss baseline unmodded.
    Not sure why you would as people don’t tend to play at baseline. But still with the old level cap at baseline before traits a plasma hit would do more damage with the base hit+dot over 15 seconds then Quantum. Now with the new level cap a quantum does more damage in 1 hit then a Plasma+Dot over 15 seconds.

Something went wrong when everything was scaled up.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Not sure why you would as people don’t tend to play at baseline.

It would be more fair to compare baseline stats without modifiers because not everyone has or uses those variables.

By throwing in the variables you skew the results based on your own experiences with said variables. EVERYONE has access to the baseline. So a person with those traits would get more out than someone without, as highlighted above by the guy saying his QUANTUM mines have more DoT than Plasma Mines, and I was not aware of that particular trait as I don't have a mine build.

So it kinda muddys the water a bit when you throw in the variables. Baseline makes it easier to see a difference and potentially notice if something is wrong.
  • Options
    tvalavulcantvalavulcan Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Not having those traits myself, The plasma torpedo does do more damage foe me. As Rattler said, not everyone has those traits.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »

The only Plasma weapon that does that is Torpedoes fired on high-yield (Rom rep torpedo default fires high yields). You could use torp spreads all day and not have to worry about that. And yes the Scorpions have high yield torpedo as a skill
    Also TOS Plasma torps don't. You either need to get lucky on a random loot drop vs TOS space enemies, or buy them from K-13. They have a standard HY instead of the seeker HY.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Not sure why you would as people don’t tend to play at baseline.

It would be more fair to compare baseline stats without modifiers because not everyone has or uses those variables.

By throwing in the variables you skew the results based on your own experiences with said variables. EVERYONE has access to the baseline. So a person with those traits would get more out than someone without, as highlighted above by the guy saying his QUANTUM mines have more DoT than Plasma Mines, and I was not aware of that particular trait as I don't have a mine build.

So it kinda muddys the water a bit when you throw in the variables. Baseline makes it easier to see a difference and potentially notice if something is wrong.
    I thought the point about this thread was to talk about how underdeveloped plasma is and when you compared the developed plasma builds to the developed Quantum builds there is no place or benefit to Plasma. Quantum or even Photon massively outshine Plasma with the exception of the Emissions torp in an exotic build.

You have to look at the variables to get a true picture. When you look at the variables Photon or Quantum can do everything plasma does only better then plasma.

Even without to many variables sitting outside space dock without activating anything and removing all my bridge officers which boost damage I have 24,321 for Quantum torpedo and 14,208 for Quantum mines. For Plasma torps I do 17,009 and 14,750.3 for mines. With plasma I added the DoT +damage hit and this was done with 4 tactical consoles upgraded to the same level all items same level with all same mods.

The problem with plasma is it takes 15 seconds just to match or do less damage then Quantum does in 1 second. That's with basic variables once you start adding in variables like the traits plasma falls massively futhar behind. Plasma needs both more weapon options and possibly a boost to the plasma proc.
  • Options
    tosurotosuro Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I just want to have the torpedo launchers the npcs have that hit me for all my life plus my entire shield in just 1 spread.
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    tosuro wrote: »
    I just want to have the torpedo launchers the npcs have that hit me for all my life plus my entire shield in just 1 spread.

RIGHT!? Give me the phantom Borg plasma torpedo that is one hit kill.
  • Options
    tosuro wrote: »

RIGHT!? Give me the phantom Borg plasma torpedo that is one hit kill.
    The Omega torpedo does that.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    No, that one fires visible plasma torps. The Borg Invisible Plasma Torpedo is invisible, untargetable, and kills instantly.
    Its not untargetable its only sometimes invisible just like the player torpedoes sometimes go invisible. Granted you cannot click it easy but there are ways around it.
  • Options
    Except that they are not taretable because they're not High Yields. You check the damage report when you die, it clearly says Plasma Torpedo does X damage. Not High Yield.
    The Invisitorp is real, and its been around for a long time.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Except that they are not taretable because they're not High Yields. You check the damage report when you die, it clearly says Plasma Torpedo does X damage. Not High Yield.
    The Invisitorp is real, and its been around for a long time.
    No one is saying its not real. I was just saying players can shoot the same kills instantly torpedoes and some of those Borg Invisitorp are targetable and all of them can be countered even the none targetable ones. The Borg plasma torpedoes are no different to what the players have access to.
  • Options
    Players aren't capable of firing a torpedo that oneshots a player Cruiser. A basic torpedo shot. Yea you can get some big numbers, but nowhere near oneshotting someone with 80-100k HP AND FULL shields with an unmodded torpedo.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Players aren't capable of firing a torpedo that oneshots a player Cruiser. A basic torpedo shot. Yea you can get some big numbers, but nowhere near oneshotting someone with 80-100k HP AND FULL shields with an unmodded torpedo.
    Yes we are capable. Shooting a single basic torpedo shot against a target with full shields and hitting for 150 to 200k+ to hull without a critical and with a critical well past that is perfectly doable. Not only can we do it to player cruisers its what we do against NPC's. I also do that with mines hitting for as much as 255k+ straight to hull without a critical.
  • Options
    I find that hard to believe that there isn't some kind of stat buffing or debuffing resistance involved.

As I said you CAN get big numbers, as there are dedicated Torp Boat builds that are evil, but an unmodded torp capable of oneshotting battleship grade NPCs through shields... is a stretch. It takes more than one single hit for energy vape builds to destroy someone. Generally that takes a single VOLLEY, which is the length of time for a single firing cycle. But you're not going in with just one weapon and instakilling.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I find that hard to believe that there isn't some kind of stat buffing or debuffing resistance involved.

As I said you CAN get big numbers, as there are dedicated Torp Boat builds that are evil, but an unmodded torp capable of oneshotting battleship grade NPCs through shields... is a stretch. It takes more than one single hit for energy vape builds to destroy someone. Generally that takes a single VOLLEY, which is the length of time for a single firing cycle. But you're not going in with just one weapon and instakilling.
    By unmodded I thought you meant no torpedo spread or high yield, just a basic shot with 1 weapon firing. As once we talk modded with we are talking towards 1+million damage from a volley. With single shots players can not only shoot the same level of damage of Borg but way higher if they want to. We can also ignore shields in my build shields do nothing against my torpedoes and mines.

My single shots often hit for 100k or even 255k then if I get a critical I have up to 331% extra damage on top of that. My Clusters often hits for 1million damage with a crit. There are plenty of ways for Players to not only do those 1 shot damage hits like the Borg do but also do far higher than the Borg while also defending against the Borg shots.

Going a bit more back on topic did you know the Omega Plasma Torpedo will shoot out twice as many torpedoes with Spread so a Spread 3 can puts out up to 50 torpedoes in 1 firing. A high yield Plasma Omega torpedo doesn’t shoot standard destroyable torpedoes it gets upgraded to the Borg higher damage destroyable bolt shots.
This discussion has been closed.