test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alita Battle Angel, Captain Marvel; Which one (if either) are you going to see?

13»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I've never had any difficulty with "the uncanny valley" in any film, didn't even understand the complaints about it in Rogue One's Tarkin. I have no interest in Alita whatsoever, I can't imagine why I ever would. Most certainly there is nothing to compel me to have any interest. On the other hand Carol Danvers has been one of my favorite characters for over 30 years, she is an integral part of multiple of my DC Heroes RPG supplements/Fanfictions, including Linda Danvers (Supergirl), Caitlin Fairchild-Danvers (Fairchild of Gen13), and many more.

https://www.writeups.org/marvel-girl-fairchild-dc-heroes-rpg/

ew, you put Carol Danvers in a DC campaign? (j/k, DC heroes had a better character gen system than TSR's MSH game).

but...let's see...

it's 2019, so...1989.

wasn't Captain Marvel black in 1989? in a white costume, and wasn't Carol Danvers kind of brain-ripped by Rogue at about that time and imitating a potato, or was that 1990? ISTR that Rogue (the mutant) was walking around with her powers and her marbles in '89...

The 90s X-Men cartoon had Rogue steal Carol Danvers' powers as a part of her origin story and Carol Danvers was imitating a potato. I have no idea if Carol Danvers in the comics was imitating a potato or for how long. According to wikipedia, Rogue took Carol Danvers' powers in the Avengers Annual #10 which happened in 1981. The Carol Danvers persona in Rogue's head could have happened in 1989.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    If we're bringing the X-Men cartoon into this, then Jubilee would be the perfect foil for Thanos. One touch of her hand and his glove will fall apart. That girl was really hard on hardware. Plus, I really liked the superhero whose power was so powerful yet so uncontrollable that she was a handicap to the team.
    starkaos wrote: »
    I've never had any difficulty with "the uncanny valley" in any film, didn't even understand the complaints about it in Rogue One's Tarkin. I have no interest in Alita whatsoever, I can't imagine why I ever would. Most certainly there is nothing to compel me to have any interest. On the other hand Carol Danvers has been one of my favorite characters for over 30 years, she is an integral part of multiple of my DC Heroes RPG supplements/Fanfictions, including Linda Danvers (Supergirl), Caitlin Fairchild-Danvers (Fairchild of Gen13), and many more.

ew, you put Carol Danvers in a DC campaign? (j/k, DC heroes had a better character gen system than TSR's MSH game).

but...let's see...

it's 2019, so...1989.

wasn't Captain Marvel black in 1989? in a white costume, and wasn't Carol Danvers kind of brain-ripped by Rogue at about that time and imitating a potato, or was that 1990? ISTR that Rogue (the mutant) was walking around with her powers and her marbles in '89...

The 90s X-Men cartoon had Rogue steal Carol Danvers' powers as a part of her origin story and Carol Danvers was imitating a potato. I have no idea if Carol Danvers in the comics was imitating a potato or for how long. According to wikipedia, Rogue took Carol Danvers' powers in the Avengers Annual #10 which happened in 1981. The Carol Danvers persona in Rogue's head could have happened in 1989.

Danvers was riding around in Rogue's head at least by 1987, and was still there in 1991 in the X-men property (Several books out simultaneously at the time, including Wolverine, Uncanny X-men, etc.) she didn't get out of Rogue's melon until sometime between 1991 and 1994 (Real world time, not comics time). Even when Rogue and Wolvie were crossing Genosha without their powers. (the Danvers personality was actually instrumental in keeping those two alive.)

fun fact: Rogue in the comics started out as a Dazzler villain.

But the issue is whether Danvers was able to recover from Rogue's attack before Rogue got her out of her mind. So Danvers could have recovered her memories in 1981, but a copy of her was still in Rogue's head in 1991.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

but...let's see...

it's 2019, so...1989.

Danvers was riding around in Rogue's head at least by 1987, and was still there in 1991 in the X-men property (Several books out simultaneously at the time, including Wolverine, Uncanny X-men, etc.) she didn't get out of Rogue's melon until sometime between 1991 and 1994 (Real world time, not comics time). Even when Rogue and Wolvie were crossing Genosha without their powers. (the Danvers personality was actually instrumental in keeping those two alive.)

But the issue is whether Danvers was able to recover from Rogue's attack before Rogue got her out of her mind. So Danvers could have recovered her memories in 1981, but a copy of her was still in Rogue's head in 1991.

I thought the way Rogue's powers worked was the victim regained their powers at the same time she lost them? Given Rogue gained VPD (Victim's Personality Disorder) when she took Danvers' powers, Danvers' mental imprint should have left at the same time her powers did (or vice versa).

but...let's see...

it's 2019, so...1989.

I...can't answer that. I was never a Ms Marvel reader during the relevant period, I'll defer to Azrael on that one, as he was/is? for me, the "Captain marvel" character was always kind of second string compared to characters like the various Claremont-Era X-teams, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor, (and Moon Knight, Spider Man, and for its two-year run, Nomad.)

I think I actually read more "What IF" than anything else.

The wikipedia says something about Professor X recovering her memories and is changed by the Brood to become Binary in the 1980s section, but I have never read them or have the interest to.

The What If comics are far more interesting.