test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DIS Enterprise - latest weekly stream, how will we get it?

1235»

Comments

• majorpain5majorpain5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I actually had 90% of my fleet members leave sto because of that exactly. So I feel that it is not false. But it's still off topic. As I've said. My original post was IF they added it. In any way. What would it's specs be.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Hey Major, listen. This thread is about one topic and one topic only; the Discovery Enterprise. Any other hypothetical connie you may want has nothing to do with this thread.

Having said that, part of the problem we have is (I believe) you posted a separate thread about the ship you were asking for and a mod merged it with this thread, saying they were the "same topic". So by doing that and making that statement, that mod brought the off topic discussion of some other separate ship into this thread which was supposed to be about the Disco connie.

It's a strange situation and not completely your fault that you are off topic, but it is what it is.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    majorpain5 wrote: »
    Besides a lot of players left because they were sick of dropping untold amounts of money I to the game. All the cool ships and equipment aren't a guarantee of getting it. Some people open one pack and get it. Some people open thousands and don't. Then Everytime you check the exchange prices there are going up. To get what you want you're spending paychecks into it. And the people driving the in game economy are the people that have thousands to spend that write them off as medical, or don't have any bills to pay or have enough money to spend a couple hundred in one sitting. This is a hey, one that you spend say $50 and you get it, no leaving it to chance. That's what I'm talking about. But not some whimpy TRIBBLE something that's worth it. But I digress. In this I'm talking if they did do that, what would it look like and what might it's specs and traits be

A lockbox ship on average brings them 250 dollar...PER ship. A promo one is 500 per ship. They are not gonna sell one of those ships for 50 dollar because you want it so.

Let me be absolutely clear: I agree that majorpain idea's aren't realistic and aren't going to happen. Please re-read what I just wrote, because I really want that to be clear before you read my next point.

That said, I don't like bad arguments even if they are for the position I support. The reason your argument(specifically the part I quoted, not the rest of your post) is bad is because while it is true that $250 is obviously more than $50, it ignores the possibility that the volume of $50 sales might be so much greater than the volume of $250 sales that it might still be more profitable as a whole. If 10,000 people were willing to spend $50 each and only 1,000 people were willing to spend $250 each, they would actually make more money at the $50 price point. This is the same reason McDonald's makes more money (by selling lots of cheap stuff) than a steakhouse makes (by selling far fewer, more expensive items).

No, I'm not saying they should change the way they do things or sell connies in the store. I'm simply saying none of us have any idea which method (box or store) would make the most money since each method would have vastly different sale volumes.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2019
    removing strange stuff
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    A lockbox ship on average brings them 250 dollar...PER ship. A promo one is 500 per ship. They are not gonna sell one of those ships for 50 dollar because you want it so.

Let me be absolutely clear: I agree that majorpain idea's aren't realistic and aren't going to happen. Please re-read what I just wrote, because I really want that to be clear before you read my next point.

That said, I don't like bad arguments even if they are for the position I support. The reason your argument(specifically the part I quoted, not the rest of your post) is bad is because while it is true that $250 is obviously more than $50, it ignores the possibility that the volume of $50 sales might be so much greater than the volume of $250 sales that it might still be more profitable as a whole. If 10,000 people were willing to spend $50 each and only 1,000 people were willing to spend $250 each, they would actually make more money at the $50 price point.

No, I'm not saying they should change the way they do things or sell connies in the store. I'm simply saying none of us have any idea which method (box or store) would make the most money since each method would have vastly different sale volumes.

We do have some idea. Either:

A ) CBS demands the special ships go into lock boxes and packs, so the discussion is moot.

-or-

B ) CBS is now fine them being C-Store, but Cryptic thinks based on their records of past sales that a C-Store version will NOT make them more money than the lock boxes and R&D packs at $250 per ship per character.

Cryptic likes money. Cryptic has the numbers for sales of dozens of packs, lock boxes and C-store ships over years. Maybe they're wrong, but they have better than no idea.

That said, I don't like bad arguments even if they are for the position I support. The reason your argument(specifically the part I quoted, not the rest of your post) is bad is because while it is true that $250 is obviously more than $50, it ignores the possibility that the volume of $50 sales might be so much greater than the volume of $250 sales that it might still be more profitable as a whole. If 10,000 people were willing to spend $50 each and only 1,000 people were willing to spend $250 each, they would actually make more money at the $50 price point.

We do have some idea. Either:

A ) CBS demands the special ships go into lock boxes and packs, so the discussion is moot.

-or-

B ) CBS is now fine them being C-Store, but Cryptic thinks based on their records of past sales that a C-Store version will NOT make them more money than the lock boxes and R&D packs at $250 per ship per character.

Cryptic likes money. Cryptic has the numbers for sales of dozens of packs, lock boxes and C-store ships over years. Maybe they're wrong, but they have better than no idea.

I do agree with your general point; Cryptic has probably done their "homework" and certainly has a better idea that we do which method would make the most money.

That said, the TOS connie is simply the -MOST- iconic ship in all of Trek, period. There is really no way to know what the sales of that specific ship would be in the game store considering it's status. There is really nothing to reasonably compare it to.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Besides the so-called original CBS 'ban' on selling an end game Constitution (I will not use these Internet abbreviation abominations of ending words with a 'y' or an 'ie' :) ) there was another very good reason to not sell them. If everybody could buy one, many would, be comfortable with it, and rarely, if ever, buy another bloody ship.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Besides the so-called original CBS 'ban' on selling an end game Constitution (I will not use these Internet abbreviation abominations of ending words with a 'y' or an 'ie' :) ) there was another very good reason to not sell them. If everybody could buy one, many would, be comfortable with it, and rarely, if ever, buy another bloody ship.

I hate it when people bring this up. There was more than likely a ban back then, but things change with decisions from the top. Some people are acting like it was a giant lie and conspiracy from Cryptic saying they couldn't do a T5 connie back then.

Not suggesting you are Ltmins, but it does getting annoying after a while :) (There was nothing wrong with your post btw)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    edited February 2019

IF 50 dollars per lockbox ship brings in more customers and money than 250, they would have changed the odds LONG time ago.

Point 1: I'm not say you are "wrong". I'm saying you simply don't know (and neither do I). We have absolutely no way to know how much revenue the connie would generate in the c-store vs in boxes because there is nothing reasonably comparable to the most iconic ship in all of Trek.

Point 2: I'm NOT saying they should change anything. I'm NOT agreeing with majorpain that they should sell a connie in the store.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > Besides the so-called original CBS 'ban' on selling an end game Constitution (I will not use these Internet abbreviation abominations of ending words with a 'y' or an 'ie' :) ) there was another very good reason to not sell them. If everybody could buy one, many would, be comfortable with it, and rarely, if ever, buy another bloody ship.

There is a good point there.....my Temporal Agent only leaves his T6 Connie to grind out perks. My FedRom is getting that way with her T’Liss.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    There really isn't much they can do to improve on the Temporal Connie. If they add Discovery parts... that might just make them MORE desirable too.

There are ships that have 6 or more styles to kitbash with already in game. Just look at the T6 Vestas. If you also have the T5s... that's 6 different styles that you can mix and match. Adding the Discovery variant to the existing Temporal Connie would be no problem in terms of customization. And if we get some details on the Discovery era D7... hey... maybe that can be added to the Temporal D7 as well.
    There is a good point there.....my Temporal Agent only leaves his T6 Connie to grind out perks. My FedRom is getting that way with her T’Liss.

I'm almost in the same situation with my main. Used to fly a Command Assault Cruiser, got into a Walker... then got the T6 Connie for Christmas. Dang thing fits my playstyle almost perfectly. She's well balanced.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited February 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Problem with posting nagus?

That post was made 20 days ago on Feb 1st; no idea why it's showing up today or so many times. I have not even clicked on this thread today (before this reply).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There really isn't much they can do to improve on the Temporal Connie. If they add Discovery parts... that might just make them MORE desirable too.

There are ships that have 6 or more styles to kitbash with already in game. Just look at the T6 Vestas. If you also have the T5s... that's 6 different styles that you can mix and match. Adding the Discovery variant to the existing Temporal Connie would be no problem in terms of customization. And if we get some details on the Discovery era D7... hey... maybe that can be added to the Temporal D7 as well.

I'm almost in the same situation with my main. Used to fly a Command Assault Cruiser, got into a Walker... then got the T6 Connie for Christmas. Dang thing fits my playstyle almost perfectly. She's well balanced.

Yep, hence why I been using it as my character's only ship for nearly the past 3 years. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I might get accused of blasphemy though. Connie Refit model... with Excalibur Nacelles.
    Personal headcanon on the choice in nacelles, more effecient than the Connie Refit nacelles. Also I feel like it would be a natural evolution to have more 24/25th Century nacelles. At least she doesn't have the tacked on phaser strips anymore. I never liked those.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Trust funders, people who don't have to work because mummy and daddy pay for everything for them, etc. Lots of people in this country and the world in general have far too much money and (IMO) the more of them that go broke due to their own stupidity the better.

Now full dusclosure, when Lockboxes first came into STO I spent hundreds of dollars getting a Galor, and hundreds more getting a second, before I learned how to really operate. So I'm sure there are a few people like me, can't really afford it but haven't learned yet how to do it without money, which is why I always spread the word about the Dillzen method in threads like this.

But yes its very extremely rare, and much exaggerated, which is why I only gave major credit for being "close to accurate".

Well obviously I need to meet these people and have a discussion about a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell them ;) .

But who knows if they even want a Brooklyn Bridge. Try the TOS Connie first.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.