What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Battle for the Soul of Pahvo

Comments

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    thay8472 wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Sela & Killy as voiced BOs if on away team, giving you lip at every turn.
    And Leeta! :D Real Admiral Leeta ... not Hologram Leeta!
    Which isn't as far out-there as one might think. Remember that little mission that resurfaces every Halloween (and 13 Friday)? Imagine if you will a mission wherein we find out that Mirror!Leeta's been looking into that technology too... just in case. Bingo - in-game justification for an 'actual' Mirror!Leeta BO.
    questerius wrote: »
    This reminds me: +1 for a cryo mortar.
    Which the Breen already use, so there's little excuse for this not to crop up as a kit module at some point. Alternatively, it could be be part of a the full-set bonus for a hypothetical Soldat d'Hiver ground set. The weapon and shield portions already exist; just add a polyalloy-weave armor (and a kit for an optional fourth piece, in the vein of the 8472 Counter-Command ground set), and you'd be good to go. Possible set bonuses include:
    • +cold damage;
    • -cooldown for cryo kit modules;
    • -cycle time for CRM 200 alt-fire;
    • cryo mortar strike (ability slotted into action bar; similar to Orbital Strike and its ilk)
    Post edited by shadowfirefly00 on
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Sela & Killy as voiced BOs if on away team, giving you lip at every turn.
    And Leeta! :D Real Admiral Leeta ... not Hologram Leeta!
    Which isn't as far out-there as one might think. Remember that little https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Hearts_and_Mindsmission that resurfaces every Halloween (and 13 Friday)? Imagine if you will a mission wherein we find out that Mirror!Leeta's been looking into that technology too... just in case. Bingo - in-game justification for an 'actual' Mirror!Leeta BO.

As I understand, there is some RL legal obstacle that prevents this from happening, though I forgot the details.
  • fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    I really don't like the "Transport to Spire" button constantly popping up in the middle of the screen. I've accidentally hit that too many times when trying to deal with an agonizer or place a crystal on the ground.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Same problem we used to have in the Underground Caves on New Romulus. They eventually fixed that after a few years.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    I really don't like the "Transport to Spire" button constantly popping up in the middle of the screen. I've accidentally hit that too many times when trying to deal with an agonizer or place a crystal on the ground.
    Especially since there is a way to "fix" this annoying feature: make it a charging ability that can be cancelled when you move, so this way, if you accidentally press it at a wrong time, you can stop it.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    You tell the NPC at the start "I'm ready now" and for a second I almost hoped that it was a ready check to let us fast forward the remainder of the timer at the start.

At least the cutscenes can be skipped (although they're much shorter) but they do that annoying break into a fight nonsense which can stop abilities like the furiadon pet or gamma rep clicky before they're due to end.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    This mission is way to hard for a L10... need to put in a super buff for lower level toons while this event is going on. Since this is not a solo play mission but a group mission...
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    • Move the "Transport to Spire" button to the top of the game window Like on Nimbus

Move the button yourself.
    Hit ESC
    Rearrange HUD
    its the Interaction Window...move it where you want
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I feel like an idiot, constantly running into dead ends and getting totally lost following my team. I don't suppose there's any way to make it a bit easier to get around?
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    rimmarie wrote: »
    • Move the "Transport to Spire" button to the top of the game window Like on Nimbus

Move the button yourself.
    Hit ESC
    Rearrange HUD
    its the Interaction Window...move it where you want

Sorry, let me clarify. The problem is that there
    • the popup to disable the Terran agonizers is “F” key,
    • the popup for placing the purify the crystals if the “F” key
    • the popup for getting drops is the “F” Key
    • the transport back is the “F” Key
    so it doesn’t matter where you move it. But like I was saying if they treat it more like Nimbus there is a button at the top that allows you to beam back to paradise city when not under attack. This is not bound to the ”F” key

• mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    This mission clearly needs to be polished. Region 7 loses all in-game sound effects and the background music even gets muffled in that area; especially when you're at the far reaches of the region.

Region 2 has too much low-hanging vegetation causing me to have to be riding my toon's shoulder in order to see what I'm firing at. I know that the devs have been trying to get people to play FPS but after 8+ years of getting a commanding view of the battlefield in this game; the habit's really hard to break out of.

While there was a fix for the "Beam to Spire" button in the center of the player's vision, it's constantly being there in the middle of the mission makes no bloody sense as we're trying to contain/clear up the regions. There is no reason to return to the Pahvo Spire until the end of the mission and therefore the button shouldn't propagate.

I'll add more later on when I run the mission further.
    This mission is way to hard for a L10... need to put in a super buff for lower level toons while this event is going on. Since this is not a solo play mission but a group mission...
    One solution that comes to mind is applying the level-averaging technique from Romulan Imperial Minefield (assuming they didn't already do this)...
    Region 2 has too much low-hanging vegetation causing me to have to be riding my toon's shoulder in order to see what I'm firing at. I know that the devs have been trying to get people to play FPS but after 8+ years of getting a commanding view of the battlefield in this game; the habit's really hard to break out of.
    If that is, in fact, the devs' intention (and why would it be in the first place?) it's a foolish one. They way things work is far more suitable for a broad view, especially for ops with you and your away team where you have to coordinate their actions with yours. Heck, such solo instances for the most part have a pause button, meaning they could be played like realtime-with-pause RPGs (Tyranny being a recent example)... were the implementation not flawed by having this 'no-time' being a resource that accumulates so slowly as to be of little use without extensive idling.
    Been running it on a lowbie (just dinged 15 off todays run) and so far have been able to clear the first two crystals for most of the path options solo using a basic disco full auto rifle, sompek shield & lightning and the hurq lure. Once you hit the end one there are commanders added into the mix which can drop you fast because the level scaling doesn't really scale defenses.

Likewise one of the paths does have crystals 1&2 close enough that you can aggro more than you have to.

Sci really needs a few decent kit modules for low levels, really wish the event modules were levelling ones to make ground more interesting at lower levels.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Been running it on a lowbie (just dinged 15 off todays run) and so far have been able to clear the first two crystals for most of the path options solo using a basic disco full auto rifle, sompek shield & lightning and the hurq lure. Once you hit the end one there are commanders added into the mix which can drop you fast because the level scaling doesn't really scale defenses.

Likewise one of the paths does have crystals 1&2 close enough that you can aggro more than you have to.

Sci really needs a few decent kit modules for low levels, really wish the event modules were levelling ones to make ground more interesting at lower levels.

@postagepaid
    May I recommend running: Nanite Health Monitor, (a second healing kit of your choice, I use Vascular Regenerator but choose what works for you), Exotermic Induction Field, Hyperonic Radiation and Stasis FIeld.

If the Commander spawns alone or in a close group, hit them with Exotermic Field and Hyperonic Radiation, then shoot. That'll get them down quick. If they spawn simultaneously with others but away from the group, hit them with Stasis Field then take out everyone else before returning your attention to them. The paralysis from the Stasis Field should last long enough as long as you don't deal them damage.
    Granted my low level sci is a bit higher level than yours - 31 - but this has worked very well for me so far, so I pass on the suggestion.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    The full auto is a lazy spray and pray type gun so holds like stasis field need a bit more management to avoid being popped. Harder to do when its just you vs a group although aggro does get spread out a bit by the lured bugs.

Cold fusion flash is another option but because the infinity module boxes are bound to character rather than account I have no easy access to one for a lowbie.

That said, my post about soloing was more to point out that it can be (mostly) done with pretty basic gear and some care at low level. Much easier once you have access to the toys (rep gear etc) from VA and up.
    The full auto is a lazy spray and pray type gun so holds like stasis field need a bit more management to avoid being popped. Harder to do when its just you vs a group although aggro does get spread out a bit by the lured bugs.
    As an alternative to stasis, might I recommend the electrogravitic field and/or the endothermic induction field (the latter comes from the winter store)? Both slow, and the latter sometimes freezes, so they're more forgiving of sweeping fire across targets...

...which brings us to this: the burst rifle's ('full-auto' is a misnomer, especially as there is another weapon which is truly full-auto and also misnamed) alt-fire can expose targets (indicated by that gold bullseye). Such targets take additional damage from exploiting attacks (the alt-fire modes for compression pistols, split-beam rifles, HD beam rifles (which you could also call 'marksman rifles'), and sniper rifles all count)... the G key (default) cycles among exposed targets (it should also switch to your exploiting weapon, but keep an eye on that and swap it yourself if you have to).

Which is why I wish the event store modules were of the levelling type rather than mk12's locked to RA and above.

The options for low level characters are simply either bland, not there or lockboxed.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    fadmbambam wrote: »
    Especially since there is a way to "fix" this annoying feature: make it a charging ability that can be cancelled when you move, so this way, if you accidentally press it at a wrong time, you can stop it.
    Or just make it STAY a low priority interact. That's what it is most of the time anyways...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I don't recall if this was shown off in the relevant Ten Forward episode, but... next time you find yourself in the southwestern portion of the map, look to the south. Right smack in the middle of the panorama is what has to be, according to the backstory (reference), a portion of the ISS Charon. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that it's being used as a forward base... meaning that a follow-on mission and/or TFO could take place around and inside it. I suspect the art team would love to have a go at fleshing out the interior of this infamous ship.
  • hellurehellure Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I got stuck in the center crystal once when it healed at the beginning (when the paths show up). I guess I was standing too close. It has what appears to be an invisible hexagonal wall around it. /stuck and reloging didn't help ... but ... you can beam out when the game sets up for the end battle in the center.

Up until that point I mostly just ran in a little circle and did somersaults into the invisible wall.

And there's this weird visual glitch that I see mostly on my low level toons, but also on one lvl 62 toon, where all the plant textures (leaves) warp-in about ever 10-60 seconds, causing a bit of lag, usually during battle (there's an audible warping like sound). The cause might be related to the same reason that plants on Pahvo go psycho if you melee them (there's a video posted to the STO reddit). Or are these a feature?

Other than those issues I've had a blast with this TFO, I hope it sticks around or returns annually. I can even manage it alright on my lvl 19 toon, with Sompak Lightening and a VR account unlock reward weapon anyway.

PS: On a related side note, I agree about the annoying ground textures. I also noticed that most plants have become solid objects on other maps too, where before one could take a short-cut through most by just running through them, now, players have to follow paths and/or jump often, even to avoid pebbles? I consider this change a quality of life downgrade :( . The game doesn't have to be hyper realistic to the point where a tree branch or shrub will block a characters movement, players aren't really 2inch tall digital animations. We know it's a game, game physics don't have to 100% mimic real life. But then even if they did, our characters would still easily step over pebbles naturally without even noticing them.

Then of course there's the tight narrow passages and slow doors on DS9. Yeah, wow, it's way more to scale and accurate.... but it's a video game, not a TV Show set. Players don't need to get hung up on objects every few steps, or have their 3rd party camera view popping around all over the place. ESD: mostly big doors and high ceilings. New Romulus: mostly big doors and high ceilings. FED Academy: mostly big doors and high ceilings. Drozana, Seirra 39, Azura, etc: mostly big doors and high ceilings... the list goes on. Most locations seems designed for the game. Seems DS9 was apparently redesigned for 1st person view role play? Is 1st person view even an option in STO (I've only been playing since like 2013 or something)?

Personally, I'd expand DS9s dimensions, and make any obstructions that a character doesn't use physically, and that aren't actually walls, soft, so characters could just run through them. Especially doors that open (not locked doors). If they don't open fast enough, or they lag, the character should just pass through the doorway anyway, not be stopped dead in their tracks.
    Post edited by hellure on
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    DS9 has nothing to do with this thread topic. Please, do not derail the thread. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    It's hard to get to the 'Soul of Pahvo' if the trees stop you from doing so.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    It's hard to get to the 'Soul of Pahvo' if the trees stop you from doing so.
    That would happen in real life as we cannot run through trees normally

NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    The 15 second charge gain on the kit module reward for this fTFO seems unaffected by kit readiness... is this intentional? What's the point of having a skill if it is only going to be selectively applied?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User

I took in a newly minted level 10 first thing after doing the usual level-up stuff and had no problem. Of course the team actually stayed together and cleared the crystals in an organized way instead haring off in all directions that time which makes a huge difference. Still, the difficulty is not noticably different between a 10 and a 65 except for the mass of extra clickies the 65 has.
    You tell the NPC at the start "I'm ready now" and for a second I almost hoped that it was a ready check to let us fast forward the remainder of the timer at the start.

At least the cutscenes can be skipped (although they're much shorter) but they do that annoying break into a fight nonsense which can stop abilities like the furiadon pet or gamma rep clicky before they're due to end.

That ready check thing would be fantastic, I have noticed that the with the timer being so long a lot of people seem to have fallen asleep or gone afk and are left standing there doing nothing for a while.

I feel like an idiot, constantly running into dead ends and getting totally lost following my team. I don't suppose there's any way to make it a bit easier to get around?

The game needs a better tactical map period :(

It should at least show where allies and known objectives are but does a very poor job of it at most. Seriously, "fog of war" might be appropriate for fantasy and historical games, but Trek has communicators with locators and usually ships in orbit watching the situation.

You think this is bad, try running around Moria in LOTRO. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns