test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

which faction should I choose?

alexandernabiscoalexandernabisco Member Posts: 35 Arc User
edited February 2019 in The Academy
hi new player here which faction should i choose? which one is the least grindy and most fun to play
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    hi new player here which faction should i choose? which one is the least grindy and most fun to play

They all have the same amount of grind. The only difference is in doff assignments. Klingon Marauding is easier to level than the Federation Diplomacy there.

Outside of that. Pick your favorite faction, or species, and roll with it. You can have multiple characters, so you can play all factions if you want.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    What Trennan said. I have toons that are Fed, Rom, Kling and Rom-Fed. All are fun and I play whoever wins the Grand Melee for supremacy lol.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Depends on what you like. Fed, TOS, Disc are goody to shoes. TOS got retro style. Klingon is roudy. ROM is cunning and sneeky.

No newbie should play Jem as you start at a high level it would be difficult to learn how to play. Jem is the least grindy since they have some of their stuff done so they can survive at level 60.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Each of the main factions Fed, KDF, Rom have a number of unique story missions to play. The Original Series / TOS capatains have a smaller number but they're very good.

Eventually, you might want to have ed, KDF, Rom, TOS, Jem'Hadar and if you like the show Discovery captains. It's also worth trying Tactical, Engineering and Science as captain types.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Federation Romulan alien master race:

You get to use both faction's ships (federation and romulan with a only a couple lock box ship exclusions) which is quite a few and an end-game bonus, one of the larger starter story lines, aliens can have a wide variety of looks including near human and get one extra trait choice each ground and space, you get access to a special type of bridge crew (boffs) called Senior Romulan Operatives that provides bonus critical hit and critical damage in space (it stacks and does make a difference), double dip on producing free doffs, you get cheaper access to a nice console that feds have to purchase an expensive lock box ship for, fed side is a bit busier as TV shows are mainly fed based. You won't have access to Discovery uniforms. You will have the first 12 levels of game to decide which home faction (Fed or KDF) to ally with.

Amount of 'grind' is roughly equal for all choices.

Ultimately though as other's have said whatever you like the best will be the most fun to play.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    We just had another player return very recently and answered a bunch of questions in this thread.
    :: points down at link ::
    https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1245437/please-help-a-noob-player

You might want to read through it as it may offer answers to question you've yet to think of.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    IMO Rom has the worse starting missions... but KDF-Rom has easy way to go get Plas Leech. And you get Marauder vs Diplomacy. But Fed-Rom has more ships for Admiralty.

no real reason to play regular fed / kdf toons... unless it's a delta recruit event to max out account perks.

ditto for TOS/JHD... unless recruit event, no real reason to play. Roms get SRO for space perk... full bridge crew with SRO trumps all. So it's down to Rom-Fed vs Rom-KDF. If you own or plan to buy a lot of ships/bundled packs... allied races can own 2 sets of T6 ships. Roms have way more ships than JHD and none JHD can own JHD ships once they are max'd out. Make token JHD for ships. Also Feds get way more ships than anyone else.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    IMO Rom has the worse starting missions... but KDF-Rom has easy way to go get Plas Leech. And you get Marauder vs Diplomacy. But Fed-Rom has more ships for Admiralty.

no real reason to play regular fed / kdf toons... unless it's a delta recruit event to max out account perks.

ditto for TOS/JHD... unless recruit event, no real reason to play. Roms get SRO for space perk... full bridge crew with SRO trumps all. So it's down to Rom-Fed vs Rom-KDF. If you own or plan to buy a lot of ships/bundled packs... allied races can own 2 sets of T6 ships. Roms have way more ships than JHD and none JHD can own JHD ships once they are max'd out. Make token JHD for ships. Also Feds get way more ships than anyone else.

You're correct but that's all from a min-maxing point of view.

Since STO is a casual-friendly game min-maxing isn't needed unless you are trying to climb the DPS leaderboard.

If your goal is to enjoy the story episodes then pick the factions you want to play and don't worry about any of that. There isn't really more grind in any faction and any faction can do well.

Since STO is a casual-friendly game min-maxing isn't needed unless you are trying to climb the DPS leaderboard.

If your goal is to enjoy the story episodes then pick the factions you want to play and don't worry about any of that. There isn't really more grind in any faction and any faction can do well.
    Connecting the suggestion of a FedRom to min-maxing or DPS leaderboard climbing is most likely a mis-interpretation (especially when the emphasis given was on whatever the OP likes to play would most likely be the most fun). Such is the 2 dimensional nature of the printed word I guess.
    protoneous wrote: »

Connecting the suggestion of a FedRom to min-maxing or DPS leaderboard climbing is most likely a mis-interpretation (especially when the emphasis given was on whatever the OP likes to play would most likely be the most fun). Such is the 2 dimensional nature of the printed word I guess.

Did we read the same post?

> no real reason to play regular fed / kdf toons... unless it's a delta recruit event to max out account perks.
    > ditto for TOS/JHD... unless recruit event, no real reason to play.
    > Roms get SRO for space perk...full bridge crew with SRO trumps all. So it's down to Rom-Fed vs Rom-KDF.

I'm not seeing a discussion of fun there, I'm seeing perks and maxing critical chance.

Pretty sure we're both reading the same posts.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

> no real reason to play regular fed / kdf toons... unless it's a delta recruit event to max out account perks.
    > Roms get SRO for space perk...full bridge crew with SRO trumps all. So it's down to Rom-Fed vs Rom-KDF.

I'm not seeing a discussion of fun there, I'm seeing perks and maxing critical chance.

ummm game is totally written as a fed game at mid/end stages. even kdf side is written as a Worf KDF game... no way to play Duras or Torg type Klingon. That may work for a Fed game... but KDF with Nausicaan?

with this type of setting... fun is what you make of it... this game is about DPS. you dont need to focus on DPS but you sure as heck need it, you dont need to be top 10 or have mk 14 or be decked out in EpicGold.

You can get by with purple mk 12s, and going Rom-X is the easiest way to go especially now that you can use "all" ships now. what your head cannon says is up to you. I have all factions on my account... but for my Rom toons, I do have a full SRO crew. It just makes things easier and easier is fun to me.
    tigeraries wrote: »

ummm game is totally written as a fed game at mid/end stages. even kdf side is written as a Worf KDF game... no way to play Duras or Torg type Klingon. That may work for a Fed game... but KDF with Nausicaan?

with this type of setting... fun is what you make of it... this game is about DPS. you dont need to focus on DPS but you sure as heck need it, you dont need to be top 10 or have mk 14 or be decked out in EpicGold.

You can get by with purple mk 12s, and going Rom-X is the easiest way to go especially now that you can use "all" ships now. what your head cannon says is up to you. I have all factions on my account... but for my Rom toons, I do have a full SRO crew. It just makes things easier and easier is fun to me.

Sure, if your fun is picking a faction based on perks and buffs that's a valid viewpoint. If a person wants to focus on game mechanics over story and role-playing / immersion then it's all good advice.

Sorry, I should have said I don't see that as being about fun if you *do* focus on story and immersion over mechanics.

If you want to be Picard, Janeway, Sisko or Kirk then you should pick a Fed or Fed-TOS even though Rom-Fed gives you better min-maxing. If you want to be Worf or another "HONOR AND GLORY!" Klingon then you should pick Klingon KDF not Rom-KDF. And so on.

If you don't care about that, then I agree that Rom-Fed gives you the best gameplay advantage. The bonuses aren't anything you need, but they'll make playing a bit easier.
    I'm thinking at this point that the first question should have been to ask the OP to elaborate on their interests and what they find appealing in Star Trek :neutral:

Imho the best answer was the first one, especially this part:
    trennan wrote: »
    Pick your favorite faction, or species, and roll with it. You can have multiple characters, so you can play all factions if you want.
  • oneafer9oh9oneafer9oh9 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Just came back me self.
    I had a long standing Fed Sci toon since forever.
    I want to get a feel for how the game changed, so I made a Rom and Klg toon.
    The Klingon is still a lvl 10, just cant get into it.
    The Rom on the other hand was a very different story line, and I found myself drawn in. She is now a Rom-Fed rep, and its till a cool story.

They both make a good distraction from all the science puzzles the Fed has to do.
  • fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2019

There is no difference in the grind between all the characters. However, there are "Recruit" events that occur occasionally, and it is worthwhile creating Recruit characters so plan on creating a minimum of 4 characters, as (some of the) recruits come with account wide bonuses.

As such, create a Discovery character now as they were released without a recruit event - and there are no recruit events currently running.

If/when the "Gamma Recruit" event comes around, create at least 2 Jem'Hadar - one to two Fed and one to join KDF.
    If/when "Delta Recruit" event comes around, create Starfleet, Romulan (x2) and Klingon toons.
    If/when "Temporal Agent" event comes around, create a 23rd Century Starfleet toon.

If you create eligible characters during these events, and play them past the intro storyline, they will get a unique device that gives them major character and account wide bonuses. Even if you don't actually play them thereafter, just having them created is nice in case you later want to experience the different storylines and have the extra recruit event content available.

If you are into crafting & self sufficiency then plan on having at least 2 Eng, 2 Sci and 2 Tac toons spread amongst all your toons as that will let you craft ALL the skill manuals yourself.

When choosing race - if you are into playing the meta / min-maxing / creating the most effective characters - always create "Alien" when its an option - they have the meta captain traits.

If you like collecting free stuff, ensure you have leveled a Romulan to level 50 by Jan 2020 as there is traditionally a 3 ship giveaway - 1 for each faction - which are account wide unlocks, but only a level 50 can claim them. You can create Jem'Hadar if you don't have Fed/KDF as they are eligable as soon as you play them past their intro mission and choose a faction, but it's more of a struggle to realize you forgot, and now need to level a Romulan to 50 in 16 hours.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Federation Engineer/Science.

If I'd be forced to pick just one, I'd go for Science. Budget wise and buck for buck, you get the best things for the lowest cost.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Honestly, if you're going to go Federation Faction it's hard to find a reason not to be a Romulan.

You get access to the initial Romulan Story which is really good.

Then you progress though missions exactly the same as the Federation Officer. In the end, you have access to all Federation and Romulan ships as well as access to Superior Romulan Operative Duty Officers. You still have full access to Federation Social Hubs like ESD and the Academy.. you pretty much lose nothing you only gain access to more ships and Officers.

While they're not 'currently' making new Romulan ships, you still get access to any ship release available to your allied faction.

A strong case can also be made for KDF Aligned Romulan. Again, you get access to the same story line, all Klingon Ships, you can farm Contraband, and you get some nice 'Federation consoles' like the Dynamic Power Redistributor for peanuts compared to what Federation Officers pay.

Right now the only reason not to make your captain Romulan is if for some reason you just don't want to be a Romulan.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    The Original Series era characters start out exceptionally well, but that fun round of content is almost over before it begins and you get booted into the post-Picard era that STO exists in. Personally I prefer the story content for Romulan and Klingon player characters over the Starfleet one. But to each his own!