test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting theory on what could have been the future of STO post Victory is Life

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > The Vidiians: We know from 'Think Tank' that they were cured of the phage. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't go looking for revenge on them, for their previous organ-harvesting activies, though.

Then there's this option: Who exactly was it told us that the Think Tank cured the Phage? Was it ... the Think Tank?

Easy enough to bring back the S1 Vidiians, just retcon the Think Tank as unreliable expositors. It's not even that much of a retcon: IIRC they were trying to lure Voyager in so they could capture the ship anyway, so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can dropkick the Enterprise.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It occurs to me that we barely scratched the surface with the Delta Quadrant.

Whilst some of these probably wouldn't lend themselves well to a 'longer' storyline, we could (for example) return to Ocampa to see what state it is in. I mean, whilst what happened would've happened anyway, Voyager still played a significant role. Shouldn't Starfleet check in on both the planet and the refugees in their 'generational ships'?
    This could also involve running the gauntlet with the Krowtonan Guard who were clearly not based TOO far away from that region of space (they repeatedly attacked the USS Equinox not too long after Captain Ransom and his crew began their journey across the quadrant). And STO would have free reign with the Krowtonan guard as, whilst referenced, they were never actually seen.

Talaxia and the Haakonians: We know the Haakonians conquered/occupied Talax, mostly from using their Metreon Cascade weapon on Rinax, causing the Talaxians to surrender. Would be interesting to explore the Alliance's thoughts on this - perhaps Prime Directive issues would ensue but still, Starfleet does tend to have a dim view on weapons like the Metreon Cascade.
    'Homestead' also established that the Haakonians "didn't treat the Talaxians very well".

The Vidiians: We know from 'Think Tank' that they were cured of the phage. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't go looking for revenge on them, for their previous organ-harvesting activies, though.

The Jenolan Dyson sphere: It's sat right in the neighbourhood, and imagine if the Borg somehow gained access.....

Anyway, there are others but you get the point.
    This is, largely, what I hope the "Borg expansion" or w/e you want to call it is about

We already know that the Alpha and Beta Quadrant maps are close to their map size, and the places they can expand too aren't exactly "Borg story" material IMO. The Gamma quadrant really isn't the place for a Borg story either. Expanding the Delta Quadrant to include the last of of Voyager's Journey, as well as the other side of the Nekrit Expanse, would make the most sense.

Yeah, but if I recall, the Delta Quadrant map is currently sitting at a 1x6 map size. That would mean at most, they could add in 1 sector at the top and 1 sector at the bottom before it's maxed out from top to bottom.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I hope to see us move on to the Galactic Union soon.

Or really, any sense of actual progress would be nice. Discovery has nice visuals and all that and the story is ok too - but it's all set in / based on what happened in the distant past from the perspective of most of our captains.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    There could also be more temporal issues from the Borg as hinted at in the patrol mission in the alpha quadrant.
    Could tie that into a larger push to alter the past while infecting/assimilating a Dyson sphere.
    Imagine fighting to hold back the assimilation of a sphere while at the same time stopping them launching temporal missions to assimilate advanced technology in the past and reinforce themselves in the future.

Maybe they travel to a remote sector in the past where they won't be noticed until they've asimilated a huge area and then rejoin the weakened hive to begin the attack again...with new technology and ships, much stronger and in larger numbers making them a threat again.
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    4. In various livestreams done throughout January, we have learned that the original post Victory is Life story was going to involve Mirror Leeta, and finishing up her story
    We could say that Killy ends up with her/dealing with both of them, and whichever kills the other (or each other), and dealing with T'Kuvma's sister and Klingon sect.

Few of you have mention the Kelvins and Andromedans …Kelvins were technically advanced enough over the TOS people, and can say that both are interchangeable to a degree, but let us say: Kelvins were leaving due to the Radiation levels caused by the Iconians, who were gearing up to deal with the Milky Way. Lets say the Iconians did not have full control over the Andromeda Galaxy, lets say, sudden drop in increased radiation and the Kelvins that came over during TOS timeframe contacted the ones in the Andromeda Galaxy and told them "hey, the ones that were doing it came here, and attempted to win over weaker powers than them and lost, are held up in their original system, and went full pacifist mode"

…You can bet some of those galactic powers (we have no idea if the Iconians were hiding somewhat or active campaign and if they had competition) will want revenge and because they didn't get destroyed, will take it out on ours. Of course, someone said Starfleet Battles, which technically Tholians were from said galaxy...So far every enemy we have fought has been of the Bipedal variety. Except Tholians, Undine, and maybe Blue Gils, that is about it, this would be a good way to create an Andromedan species that is equally capable to the Iconians and maybe be used as the species that made the Tholians leave long ago, and why the Tholians did not partake in the Iconian conflict(can't say the Iconians were dealing with them or not, the New Romulus invasion ones didn't count as they were there for reasons to figure out who's gateway it was and stuff...), they didn't join with us to fight them. (And remember Tholians hate temporal issues, but not completely out of possibility they would have did something to use against an enemy...to the point the Iconians may have kept away and planned another way to deal with them)

Semi off, but possible expansion of the Delta Quadrant on top of other species that would be much further than the subspace corridors than the Vaadwaur would venture. We have to assume there are other species that were not impacted by the Vaadwaur campaign by the Elachi/Iconians, just the ones that would have been able to form an alliance in that region and the fact the Vaadwaur had experience using subjugation and force with subspace corridors, and the Iconians saw similarities of their fall to exploit for another branch of controlled forces.

We could also deal with Total Evil Caretaker woman, which is a blob like creature with tentacles (maybe not quite 100...) which would fit the bill for a Kelvin (but are Nacene, and felt bad for decimating a planet's ecosystem with some screwed up scanning tech and decided to try to make up for it about 2000+ years ago, lets ignore the fact they are not same species and move on and pretend such). We still don't know what she wanted with Caretaker's dried up crystalized corpse. So we can assume she thought her species was dead due to the length of time the two were off alone in the Delta Quadrant, not realizing things changed and Kelvins decided on a peaceful existence with the species of the Beta Quadrant. And because of this, she decided to recover her species by using her Ocampans as...well breeding vessels. And that her "experiments for a compatible vessel are not working as per on Voyager, but needs to be psychic capable species, has been finding subjects who left Ocampa that we find out around the Delta Quadrant. Discovers the Elachi and Solanae in subspace, realizes can use them to help find psychic subjects without traveling much. And since Voyager is back in the Delta Quadrant...makes it a target, as still bitter about the whole thing. And Tuvok is psychic and having the Undine around...wants to get to Fluidic space as well and the Borg are still wanting to use them, would be good start to bringing back a Borg threat in some way.

So that is 3/4 different arcs that can occur now, if Cryptic wanted to go that route (depending what CBS says yes to)

Also, side note: We assume that the Voth are running in terror from the Vaadwaur, but they were dealing with the Undine and Borg at same time, and being the "superior non-mammalian species" basically fighting war of Attrition, but one they can probably deal with and choose to not bother with protecting the "lesser" species. Remember the Alliance is not at peace with them, we are technically still keeping the Voth from Omega Particles in the Sphere. I'd go to say that the Borg we deal with in the area of the Delta Quadrant is whatever broken down section that Voyager/Future Janeway basically decimated, while the rest of the collective probably cut off that area for major resources, using more of a beachhead (like how the borg have Vega colony/ect in game now).

I would say the Voth that show up when dealing with the the Borg Disconnected TFO, is one of their strike fleets and means the 3 major powers are stuck in a conflict that the Iconians sorta offloaded to keep them from even interfering with their campaign to reign in the galaxy. The Voth could have theoretically joined us, and given us a much needed boost in firepower and ships. I'd go to say the Voth are close in some amount to Iconian level of tech, but stagnated (like the Iconians did as referenced by the Krenim Science Head in the one mission). For all we know the ships we have been fighting by the Voth are older tech, and they keep their good tech close to their core worlds.

So of course the Iconians would sorta guide the Borg to their space, yet keep the Borg from getting a jump in Tech, by throwing the Undine that way too, and being the Undine are vastly xenophobic that any aggression into their dimension results in them going on basically Crusades...enabled a 3-way conflict that would go on forever till the Iconians could jump in after dealing with the powers around their space, and ours, and just crush all 3 at once.

And once they realized the Voth would weaponize Omega particles against them, they knew to step back some and let us deal with them in the sphere, knowing we would fight to prevent someone using Omega to destroy our means of space travel and communication...remember Omega bombs/whatnot basically collapses subspace to a degree that makes spaceflight impossible with warp technology as the species use it. While keeping us occupied enough.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    There could also be more temporal issues from the Borg as hinted at in the patrol mission in the alpha quadrant.
    Could tie that into a larger push to alter the past while infecting/assimilating a Dyson sphere.
    Imagine fighting to hold back the assimilation of a sphere while at the same time stopping them launching temporal missions to assimilate advanced technology in the past and reinforce themselves in the future.

Maybe they travel to a remote sector in the past where they won't be noticed until they've asimilated a huge area and then rejoin the weakened hive to begin the attack again...with new technology and ships, much stronger and in larger numbers making them a threat again.

"could also be more temporal issues".......well, given how temporal issues are the dev's fallback now for a lot of mission stories, that would be and easy-to-see assumption.

I also wonder why the Borg ground troops adapt to weapons, but the ships dont? Can you imagine doing a Borg Red alert and after 2 -5 volleys you see a big "ADAPTED" and weapons do nothing? THAT would be more fun. For Star Trek canon: 1 cube destroyed.....everything in its path in TNG. By Voyager, they had issues from the Undine, but in STO they have assimilated the undine finally. So why don't we see assimilated Undine now? And why don't they adapt to our tech? Give us a captain ability or console or a mission character that magically allows us to do it....but have us step away and modulate our weapons to keep up the attack on a cube same as we do a tactical drone?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    They only wanted Seven, didn't care about Voyager at all.

Whatever, the point still stands that they weren't dealing with the crew above-board and we have no independent confirmation of any of their claims.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Actually, no. Spiner's not completely done with Data. In the interview below at about 3:30 they talk about him possibly reprising the role, and he says he's definitely up for voicing the character.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    You're missing the point I was making...if you don't know who these people are - Neelix, Seven, Sela, Leeta...etc...they're just random people you're introduced to in different places for no reason. Someone who only knows Discovery or maybe Kelvin would be dropped into this world of unremarkable actors told nothing more than "blow up this thing, kill that thing," and no single narrative - I'm saying it again but no one seems to understand what I mean - exists so that someone starting a new Discovery character is introduced to 55 years of canon.
    Except they aren't there for no reason.

For example, you are told that Rom is the Grand Nagus, the leader of the Ferengi people, and that Leeta is his wife, which makes sense why she would be there with him. You meet them both for the first time in missions like "Surface Tension" and "The Temporal Front", both of which have large scale diplomatic conferences between the galactic powers, which is a perfectly logical reason for them to be there.

Same thing with Worf. He first shows up, for Federation characters, in the episode “Sphere of Influence”, where his is introduced as a Klingon Ambassador. Said mission involves another small gathering of diplomats to oversee the activation of the Iconian Gateway.

And all the cast members of Voyager who turned up in Delta Rising mention they all served on the Voyager when it got transported to the Delta Quadrant, and that the reason they are there now is because of their expertise on the area.

No, the game doesn't go through all the decade+ of lore Worf has from TNG, and DS9, there is no way a game could. But the characters who do show up have explanations behind who they are, and why they are there.
    but in STO they have assimilated the undine finally. So why don't we see assimilated Undine now?
    The whole point of the mission with the assimilated Undine is that you destroy the Cube before it gets close enough to the rest of the Collective to transmit the data on how to assimilate Undine, meaning the rest of the Borg never get it.

No...no... BIGGER picture than that. Who are the Ferengi, what was DS9, who are the Cardassians, why do we care? There is no way to get from Discovery to pre-2002 canon in STO...none. Why do we meet Rom and Leeta and Worf and the Voyager people? Discovery doesn't have a link to those things...at all. We need a narrative that coherently brings 55 years of canon into the scope of what a temporal operative from Discovery-Trek can understand.

The same could honestly be stated for anyone whom might be unfamiliar with Discovery and just coming in the game for new content.

1) Cadet Sylvia Tilly: WIthout watching Discovery, people would be wondering why she seems to be so important that she accompanies them all through the tutorial, but disappears at the end, other than the fact she's a junior cadet.

2) T'Kuvma and J'Ula: Apart from them being called Klingons, neither of these characters are clearly defined about who they are and why the player should care about them, other than J'Ula being an enemy.

3) USS Glenn and the Tardigrade: WIthout knowing anything about Discovery and the Spore drive, people would be just as lost as to why J'Ula wants the technology secrets so bad.

4) Captain Sylvia Tilly (mirror universe) & Pahvo: Here is a new character that anyone not familiar with Discovery would be wondering why she gets such a focus, apart from the fact she's being played by a star trek voice actress, and what Pahvo's connection to Star Trek is.

We can also state the same thing about Star Trek Online as a whole when it comes to your starting experience.

- 25th century Fed tutorial: You're supposed to already be pretty familiar with the cadets you're graduating with, especially Elisa, though you hardly learn a thing about them since they stop being important after the tutorial.

- Romulan Republic tutorial: Tovan and your Romulan character seem to be friends for some time, but just how long isn't established, nor is much revealed about him.

- TOS Federation tutorial: Somehow, As a Lieutenant you're already the first officer of a ship, apparently trusted by the Captain, even though you never really learn about him and how he got where he is.

Honestly, the Klingon tutorial does somewhat of a better job introducing you to characters that you feel you should care about.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Actually, no. Spinner's not completely done with Data. In the interview below at about 3:30 they talk about him possibly reprising the role, and he says he's definitely up for voicing the character.

I bet Mirror Lore would be King of the Liberated Borg.

Or not an Android at all, but a genetically augmented son of Noonien Song. And he still ages. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,240 Community Moderator
    Trying to summarize the entirety of canon Star Trek lore into the game for the uninitiated or newbie Trekkie would be ridiculously impractical and prohibitively costly to do, and not what this game is about. If someone new to Star Trek wants to know more about Star Trek, then they need to go watch Star Trek, not have some video game try to inadequately condense 50+ years of lore to get them "up to speed."
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.