test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS Chief Touts Star Trek As All Access Hits 4 Million Subscriber Goal Early

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/15/cbs-chief-touts-star-trek-as-all-access-hits-4-million-subscriber-goal/

CBS Chief Touts Star Trek As All Access Hits 4 Million Subscriber Goal Early

Comments

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I genuinely hope that Trek succeeds in whatever form it takes, because in that case more Trek gets made. Whether I like a particular style of show is irrelevant because I might like the next one. The worst thing that can happen is that CBS decides Trek isn't valuable, stops making it, and still denies anyone else the right to make it.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @brian334 said:
    > I genuinely hope that Trek succeeds in whatever form it takes, because in that case more Trek gets made. Whether I like a particular style of show is irrelevant because I might like the next one. The worst thing that can happen is that CBS decides Trek isn't valuable, stops making it, and still denies anyone else the right to make it.

I agree with this.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    But Youtube people said it was dying!!11!!​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    And media says its succeeding to GLORIOUS new heights! Not a fan but time will tell. If it's successful, they'll renew. If not, they'll cancel.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    And media says its succeeding to GLORIOUS new heights! Not a fan but time will tell. If it's successful, they'll renew. If not, they'll cancel.
    DSC is on its second season...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »

I'm well aware of that Mr. Sills. I'm talking about renewal for a third season and beyond.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Indeed, the landscape once called Television has evolved/crossed over with streaming and binge watching. As such the standards, on many levels, have undergone a shift. Not always for the better. The trick is in not applying the wrong standard to the project in question.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I genuinely hope that Trek succeeds in whatever form it takes, because in that case more Trek gets made. Whether I like a particular style of show is irrelevant because I might like the next one. The worst thing that can happen is that CBS decides Trek isn't valuable, stops making it, and still denies anyone else the right to make it.

Agreed. I don't like TNG but I enjoyed DS9. It was the popularity of TNG that led to DS9. You may not like Discovery but Picard or Lower Decks or S31 may be your favorite Trek show.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Fair enough @somtaawkhar.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I'm well aware of that Mr. Sills. I'm talking about renewal for a third season and beyond.

I feel like that is moving the goalpost.

"Oh, yeah, but they won't get a second season, you can bet on that!"
    Season 2 Discover.y
    "Oh yeah, but who knows if they'll even get a third season.."
    [...]
    Season n Discovery
    "Yeah, maybe they got n seasons, but it remains to be seen if they can get to n+1"

Admittedly, it's a bit early just for the second season, but if there really is a link between Discovery and CBS All Access subscriber counts exceeding expectations, I think it will still last a while longer.

But I wonder how Moonves is feeling about that - by all accounts you hear on the internet (how reliable is that), he wasn't a fan of Star Trek - that it could now be one of the things driving their new business venture must be a surprise. (Of course, one could argue that he was right when Enterprise was cancelled, the viewership was insufficient and the series wasn't doing good, and that he was also right when he didn't stand in the way of Discovery as one of the projects for CBS All Access.) On the other hand, it doesn't matter anymore, since he's gone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

I feel like that is moving the goalpost.

"Oh, yeah, but they won't get a second season, you can bet on that!"
    Season 2 Discover.y
    "Oh yeah, but who knows if they'll even get a third season.."
    [...]
    Season n Discovery
    "Yeah, maybe they got n seasons, but it remains to be seen if they can get to n+1"

Admittedly, it's a bit early just for the second season, but if there really is a link between Discovery and CBS All Access subscriber counts exceeding expectations, I think it will still last a while longer.

But I wonder how Moonves is feeling about that - by all accounts you hear on the internet (how reliable is that), he wasn't a fan of Star Trek - that it could now be one of the things driving their new business venture must be a surprise. (Of course, one could argue that he was right when Enterprise was cancelled, the viewership was insufficient and the series wasn't doing good, and that he was also right when he didn't stand in the way of Discovery as one of the projects for CBS All Access.) On the other hand, it doesn't matter anymore, since he's gone.

Not so much moving the goalpost but recognizing reality. No show, good or not, story planned to the end or not, will survive if its not making money for the studio. As long as the money is rolling in (or at least the trend is in the right direction) it will probably continue until the end of its story arc. If not or other mitigating factors come into play, they'll find a way to wrap it up early. As it stands, Discovery is either making money (not sure about this one) or the trend line for subscribers (at least this one) is moving in the direction CBS wants it to move to keep the show going.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac