test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Branches of Realism: Platonic Realism, Moderate Realism, Modal Realism, and Mystical Realism

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
I just thought it would be cool to have a thread exploring branches of Philosophical Realism.

Picard as an expressed through through Modal Realism would be a series of Picard Counterparts as seen in the episode Parrells.

Mythical Realism would be is Picard real and does he exist, which in Mythical Realism are two seperate questions as strange as that sounds. Picard doesn't exist in the sense he has no physical dimesions, no place in the space time continuum of this universe. But he is real in the sense that he has an effect, he inspires people, he creates jobs within the economy (such as making Picard figurines), and so on. How many people say Picard change their lives?
If Picard is not real on some level, abit not the level of nessassarily existance, how do he achieve that feat? Hence the seperation of Existance and Reality.

Moderate Realism, Picard exists as both an independant object, a particular, and a universal within a persons mind. So you have both Picard the man vs. Picardness the Universal Concept.

Platonic Realism, Picard is shaped by many Universals (none material universal, but with more of a independant existance then in Moderate Realism), such as size, shapes, and so on. If one combines Modal Realism with Platonic Realism, one gets the possiblity of Picardness as an independant Universal that all Picard Counterparts share in.

https://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_realism.html

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I like the bit where Sisko punches a god in the face. That's your relativism for you.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I like the bit where Sisko punches a god in the face. That's your relativism for you.

And this is why Sisko is better than Picard.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > I like the bit where Sisko punches a god in the face. That's your relativism for you.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And this is why Sisko is better than Picard.

Bawahahaha .
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    You could make an argument for any and all of those levels of realism, except absolute physical reality. He doesn't have one of those. He has no corpus, can't be arraigned in court, and can't, as an individual, exercise his rights to life, liberty, and the purfuit of happinefs.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    You could make an argument for any and all of those levels of realism, except absolute physical reality. He doesn't have one of those. He has no corpus, can't be arraigned in court, and can't, as an individual, exercise his rights to life, liberty, and the purfuit of happinefs.

Certain people in Japan would argue against that since they have married fictional characters. Eventually there will be no difference for the legal rights between AI and humans. Both will have the right to life, liberty, and happiness. It is just a matter of will we see it in our lifetime.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @brian334 said:
    > You could make an argument for any and all of those levels of realism, except absolute physical reality. He doesn't have one of those. He has no corpus, can't be arraigned in court, and can't, as an individual, exercise his rights to life, liberty, and the purfuit of happinefs.

Jean Luc Picard in this actual reality has no physical body therefor no legal rights, but if Modal Realism has any truth to it, Jean Luc Picard counterparts exist physically in other realities and as such would have legal rights where such rights exist.