test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FYI: There is no gravity or atmosphere in space.

longrealtalongrealta Member Posts: 17 Arc User
(Flaming / Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I believe the reason they gave when the game came out was that when they tested it internally without a maximum angle it was easy for players to get disoriented and lose their sense of direction. The limitation is there for playability only.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, I thought it was because it was the way ships flew around in space on the TV show.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • natureyouscarynatureyouscary Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    "there's no gravity in space" What are they teaching in schools nowadays...even a quick Google search can help you understand gravity is everywhere...it reduces the further from planets/stars you travel from but yes there is indeed gravity in space.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    STO space combat was designed to be fun, not realistic.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'In space, no one can hear you scream.' :)

Remember from 'Wrath of Khan' with the two vs. three dimensional thinking. Well what we got was a corkscrew movement up and down the Z Axis. The enemy coming at you vertically is especially annoying in the 'Mirror Incursion' Event

'Firefly' got it right with the lack of sound in space.

Remember one reason they gave for removing the old Exploration Clusters was that people were getting lost and confused there too. I guess we must be pretty poor Starship Captains as we can't find our way out of a paper bag. Vasco da Gamas we're not. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The thing is that most STO maps don't have that many fixed points you use to navigate in a fully unlocked 3D motion. there's a planet and maybe a moon or 2 and the rest is just empty space where you can't tell where the edges are until you hit them.

We'd need a total overhaul of the map system to even consider fully unlocked 3D motion, as it stands you see only a 2D plane of the system from "above" that tells you where you are in that 2D plane but doesn't tell you "altitude" or how your ship is pointed currently.

As for sound in space it's a Star Trek convention to have sound in space, sure it's not really realistic but it's not suppose to be either. It's been there since the 1960s and even DSC and the Kelvin timeline use that (apart from few times where it's not used for dramatic effect), so it's highly unlikely STO would do it differently.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's a video game.. lighten up.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Me? I just told why 3D is unlikely to happen it's hardly being overly aggressive.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Me? I just told why 3D is unlikely to happen it's hardly being overly aggressive.

No no.. not you.. sorry.

I was talking to the OP.. it's just a nit picky thing to make a thread about.

My apologies for the confusion. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    STO space combat was designed to be fun, not realistic.

Yeah, nothing more fun than endless spirals trying to get at anything not on the same plane as you. :p

• discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Honestly, I thought they just used the code from City of Heroes. That let you fly up and down, but it still limited you somewhat.
    discojer wrote: »
    Honestly, I thought they just used the code from City of Heroes. That let you fly up and down, but it still limited you somewhat.

Likely but they have outright said that they angle is restricted as to not confuse players.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Just mute your sound and turn your monitor to it's side
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    spiritborn wrote: »

No no.. not you.. sorry.

I was talking to the OP.. it's just a nit picky thing to make a thread about.

My apologies for the confusion. :smile:

No worries, it happens when you don't quote or otherwise indicate what post you're replying to, so no harm done.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Bad troll! Get back under your bridge.

YBWyACJ.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.