test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Requisitioning bridge officers?

synsoisynsoi Member Posts: 12 Arc User
while adventuring in space as an engineer, I realized I had no engineering bridge officers! At the Academy who do I talk to for requisitioning them?
Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Go to ESD and go around underneath Quinn's office. There's a BOFF request officer there. Or go to the Exchange. Tons o f BOFFs on the Exchange.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    The exchange is a much better deal - VR quality bridge officers with Superior traits are very cheap except for Romulans with the Superior Romulan Operative trait and females of a few species.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The exchange is a much better deal - VR quality bridge officers with Superior traits are very cheap except for Romulans with the Superior Romulan Operative trait and females of a few species.

Been a while since I looked. Everyone wants their hot Female Vulcans and in the past, paid more for it. It's only logical.
    XzRTofz.gif

Been a while since I looked. Everyone wants their hot Female Vulcans and in the past, paid more for it. It's only logical.

Yep, though for "bridge bunnies" you can get Aliens much cheaper and make them almost any species except Catian/Ferasan

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2019

Yep, though for "bridge bunnies" you can get Aliens much cheaper and make them almost any species except Catian/Ferasan

Hot Female Vulcans! Even my very first STO character, which I still have, is one o:)

Also, thanks for the Bridge Bunny reference.
    43d.gif
    XzRTofz.gif
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Generally speaking: Human, Vulkan, Bajoran, Betazoid, Andorian, and especially Orion ladies cost/get way more than their male counterparts. In my experience this also holds for alien gen. Tellarite, Rigelian, or Pakled do less so.

Of course Cardassians are also quite expensive, regardless of gender.

If you don't want to spend the money, look in the "personal" doff assignment list regularily, that's where the boffs come from.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • synsoisynsoi Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Thanks for the heads-up Cmdrs :)
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I would advise you speak to friends. I'm sure they, like most players I know, have a roster full of BOffs of every kind and description, plus a bank page full of unused candidates, and can give you some useful ones if you're only leveling up. Probably for the very high price of being asked to pay it forward when you are the experienced old guy.

Along the way as you level up, do Recruiting assignments to improve your Commendation Rank in Recruiting. This will give you access to better quality random BOffs when you get a Recruit BOff Candidate assignment.
    Why is it than when accessing the buy exchange & double clicking bridge officers no drop down window appears?
    synsoi wrote: »
    Why is it than when accessing the buy exchange & double clicking bridge officers no drop down window appears?

Try clicking the RESET button at the top-right. You might have set a rank or other option that doesn't work for boffs.

@davefenestrator >The issue is with the bridge officers, commodities and recipe item types, clicking the reset button is to no avail.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Go to the exchange. Get Engineering officers. You can find really decent ones. If you need help, drop a mail @casualsto in game and your faction/boff needs and I'll send you an engineer or two as soon as I can.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,293 Community Moderator
    @synsoi What do you need or are looking for exactly?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

edited February 2019
    Never mind, I deleted & started anew :|
    Post edited by synsoi on
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the info. WoW! How was I to know otherwise? Especially when the comments above haven't mentioned it?
    However, in my experience the amount of officers on offer has diminished the last years, so in very unlucky curcumstances you may not find what you're looking for.
    Never mind, I deleted & started anew :|

There is almost nothing you can do in the early game that you cannot correct later. There is no reason to delete, and even if you don't like a particular captain you can just use his inventory slots to store stuff while you create a new captain. Later on you may want to come back to him, and his progress will still be there, along with whatever account-wide unlocks you've made in the time between.

In the early game, VR (purple) BOffs aren't really that important. You can grind up to level 65 with white (common) BOffs. The Very Rare BOffs are for getting that special boost you want to push you over a threshold in some attribute.They are almost exclusively for end-game tweaking of a build, so spending hard-earned EC on them at early- to mid-game is less than productive because by end-game you may have a completely different build, and thus different priorities, but the EC will have been spent.

My best advice for BOffs is to take what comes along, and if you have a particular need, shout on the Chat Channel. For example, if you need an Engineering BOff to fill a seat, ask if anyone has one lying around. I bet someone has their old starter Engineer on their roster with nothing for him to do, and they would love to see their old guy go on to a productive carer with a new captain. In STO ther is a camaraderie unlike any othr online game I've played, and players will jump at the chance to help a new guy. (Of course, donkey-hats do exist, but they aren't the majority by any means!)

The guy you get might even have a large number of abilities trained which will allow you to experiment with various powers as you level up without your having to spend your Expertise to train them yourself. You may even find the guy has some Tier III abilities trained which your captain cannot train due to having spent skill points in other areas.

If you want a particular ability trained to your BOff and can't train it yourself, again, ask on the chat channel. Someone is bound to hear you and want to help. If you have trust issues, screenshot the conversation and the transfer so you can refer it to the game management in the unlikely event someone steals your BOff. (I've never seen it happen, personally. The BOffs players want can't be traded anyway.)

DOffs who have been placed on Active Duty and BOffs which have joined your roster cannot be mailed.

Note: To pass items, DOffs and BOff candidates between your own characters, simply go to a mail terminal and mail them to your own @handle by dragging and dropping them into your mail. You can mail five things at a time. (A stack counts as one item up to the limit of the stack, so you can mail 5 catfish sandwiches in one mail slot.) Do not use the mail system as storage, as many players do, because periodically the mail gets wiped and whatever items were in it are lost. (I've only seen it happen once, but I lost a crapload of DOffs!) Also, make sure you spell your @handle correctly because @handel will get your stuff and you won't be able to retrieve it if you typo.
    brian334 wrote: »
    In the early game, VR (purple) BOffs aren't really that important. You can grind up to level 65 with white (common) BOffs. The Very Rare BOffs are for getting that special boost you want to push you over a threshold in some attribute.They are almost exclusively for end-game tweaking of a build, so spending hard-earned EC on them at early- to mid-game is less than productive because by end-game you may have a completely different build, and thus different priorities, but the EC will have been spent.

I disagree slightly -- if you train a less-than-VR boff with less common / harder to get skills like BFAW III, Gravity Well III, etc. then you will have wasted those training manuals when you replace the boff later.

Also, if you don't want bridge bunnies then male VR boffs are often only 500 - 5,000 credits on the exchange so why not start with VR?
    My best advice for BOffs is to take what comes along, and if you have a particular need, shout on the Chat Channel. For example, if you need an Engineering BOff to fill a seat, ask if anyone has one lying around. I bet someone has their old starter Engineer on their roster with nothing for him to do, and they would love to see their old guy go on to a productive carer with a new captain. In STO ther is a camaraderie unlike any othr online game I've played, and players will jump at the chance to help a new guy. (Of course, donkey-hats do exist, but they aren't the majority by any means!)

The guy you get might even have a large number of abilities trained which will allow you to experiment with various powers as you level up without your having to spend your Expertise to train them yourself. You may even find the guy has some Tier III abilities trained which your captain cannot train due to having spent skill points in other areas.

Are you sure you're still able to trade commissioned officers? I thought that ended years ago when they started allowing boffs to remember every skill they learned.

Otherwise, yes, asking fleet mates, friends and even random strangers for VR boffs is a good idea.

edited February 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @xyquarze said:
    > However, in my experience the amount of officers on offer has diminished the last years, so in very unlucky curcumstances you may not find what you're looking for.

That is more an effect of the changes in Boff skills and how they are trained now. So there is much less need to sell the Boffs themselves. Even for skills not at the Boff skill vendor, the ones you can get from Boffs will usually be mulched out of the Boff before sale (TS3 for example).

Yep, I grind any boffs I don't plan to use into training manual slurry to feed to the survivors. Burp!

For males at least the exchange prices are so low that even a common lt. commander training manual is worth more to me.

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

I disagree slightly -- if you train a less-than-VR boff with less common / harder to get skills like BFAW III, Gravity Well III, etc. then you will have wasted those training manuals when you replace the boff later.

Also, if you don't want bridge bunnies then male VR boffs are often only 500 - 5,000 credits on the exchange so why not start with VR?

Are you sure you're still able to trade commissioned officers? I thought that ended years ago when they started allowing boffs to remember every skill they learned.

Otherwise, yes, asking fleet mates, friends and even random strangers for VR boffs is a good idea.

I haven't traded a commissioned BOFF myself, but my friend traded me a Caitian, and an Aenar from a toon she was deleting because she wanted those two BOFFs to have a good home. That was quite a few years ago though, so maybe things have changed since then. I still have those BOFFs too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

IF you bother. some traits work the same at common as VR:
    dcs6dz3-293fcda3-dc32-4fc1-9dab-72c3cbb6281f.png
    The truth is the rarity of a boff after it's commissioned is based on the game counting how many "superior" traits there are... which is why Gorn are pretty much always BLUE, they normally only have one trait that CAN be Superior.
    Purple: two or more superior, not basic.
    blue: one superior and one basic, or one superior and no basic.
    green: one basic and no superior(potentially 2 basic, and one superior) also the tutorial boffs who have no basic or superior.
    white: 2 basic, no superior.

So, if you're not using those Superior traits, or basic traits, their existence doesn't matter. For example: compare Andra, Gregg, Kristel, and Heath, for space they have identical stats. Ground? that's different, but not space.

Andra(purple): Leadership, Covert, Superior Luck, Superior Teamwork
    Gregg(blue): Leadership, Basic Sure Footed, Superior Covert, Teamwork
    Heath(white): Leadership, Basic Luck, Basic Peak Health, Teamwork
    Kristel(white): Leadership, Basic Creativity, Basic Sure Footed, Teamwork

So, if you're stacking SROs, then a mix of purple and blue is acceptable. The only OTHER Superior traits an SRO boff CAN have are ground.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2019

IF you bother. some traits work the same at common as VR:
    dcs6dz3-293fcda3-dc32-4fc1-9dab-72c3cbb6281f.png
    The truth is the rarity of a boff after it's commissioned is based on the game counting how many "superior" traits there are... which is why Gorn are pretty much always BLUE, they normally only have one trait that CAN be Superior.
    Purple: two or more superior, not basic.
    blue: one superior and one basic, or one superior and no basic.
    green: one basic and no superior(potentially 2 basic, and one superior) also the tutorial boffs who have no basic or superior.
    white: 2 basic, no superior.

So, if you're not using those Superior traits, or basic traits, their existence doesn't matter. For example: compare Andra, Gregg, Kristel, and Heath, for space they have identical stats. Ground? that's different, but not space.

Andra(purple): Leadership, Covert, Superior Luck, Superior Teamwork
    Gregg(blue): Leadership, Basic Sure Footed, Superior Covert, Teamwork
    Heath(white): Leadership, Basic Luck, Basic Peak Health, Teamwork
    Kristel(white): Leadership, Basic Creativity, Basic Sure Footed, Teamwork

So, if you're stacking SROs, then a mix of purple and blue is acceptable. The only OTHER Superior traits an SRO boff CAN have are ground.

Agreed, I should have included some qualifiers.

For SROs that aren't on your away team it's only the SRO trait that matters not whether the boff is blue or pink. The same for any other boff that is space-only: a white quality human with Leadership is as good as a pink one IF they always stay on the ship.

I was responding to the idea of using your white and green level-up boffs though, possibly for both space and ground.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's one of those min-max things that you don't need to worry about all that often unless you're maximizing a build. Sure, every little bit helps, but the difference between say, Superior Creativity and Basic Creativity is not massive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    When your captain is level 20 or even 40, that matters not at all. Spending EC for expensive VR BOffs which may not even have the traits you want by the time you get to level 65 is not a wise investment. If you already know your ultimate build, then yes, go straight for the guys you want and ignore the rest. But for average Joe, leveling your first captain, BOff quality is not that serious an issue, and I would recommend variety more than quality as a means of seeing what the abilities can actually do.

As an example, I had never tried an Exotic build. My Science Captain was supposed to be a shield stripper, then CPB and Tachyon Beam got nerfed into the dirt just a week into my build testing. A friend introduced me to Grav Well. I had not yet used my retrain token from hitting level 50, (max level at the time,) and I turned my failed Shield-Stripper Beamer Luna into a GW Torper. I went from useless to killer overnight.

Replacing my BOffs was cheap. In fact, of the investments I made at the time, it was the cheapest, because I was able to get what I wanted in blue BOffs. Over time I acquired Purple, but only when it was a good deal: I could afford to wait. My Luna still flies, though it has not been keeping pace with the power creep, mostly from neglect. I keep promising to rebuild her, but never get that round-tuit. Plus, I can't bring myself to toss the white and green Andorians off the roster, even though neither has been slotted for anything in who knows how many years. They were my first two BOffs, and we went through a lot together!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Really, except for the Ground Away Team, Quality Level for the most part is immaterial. With very few exceptions, most Boffs do not have Space Traits.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Actually, I always kept my levelling boffs (though I think I never had a white one). They helped me when times were rough, now when I have everything they got a sweet job onboard the ship and may even get to sit on the bridge or come outside with me. I think it's only fair not to drop them.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    That is more an effect of the changes in Boff skills and how they are trained now. So there is much less need to sell the Boffs themselves. Even for skills not at the Boff skill vendor, the ones you can get from Boffs will usually be mulched out of the Boff before sale (TS3 for example).

Of course that is one aspect. But it can't be the only one, since even compared to a couple months ago the supply seems to have dropped. (Prices as well)
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    GORN bridge officer's have had a BUG for 1-2 year's. They should have two superior trait's yet when you commission them despite saying Very Rare they later go Rare as there's only 1.

In Fact I believe the only Faction that really get's the possibility of truly having a very Rare Gorn is the Federation. Cause the Ambassador near Quinn in fact offer's their Captain's a Gorn Bridge Officer with 2 Superior Trait's.

I've long wished they would correct Gorn Bridge Officer's.
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.