Install Arc
Options

Time and Tide

123457»

Comments

• Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    just boring: Annorax is back with an other name. the lack of imagination is pitiful
    Well, not with another name. Or back. Annorax had an understandable motivation: He wanted his wife back, someone he had an actual connection with. Noye only knows that in some alternate timeline, he had a wife, whom he has no actual emotional connection to because in THIS timeline, he never experienced that. This places his current motivation in the same category as DDOS Guy: A guy who's irrationally angry because his disagreeable personality keeps him from getting laid and is determined to take it out on everyone else. Not exactly the material of an epic villain, really...

So, basically, Pee Wee Herman with a permanent migraine and a time machine. Yep, that was my assessment, too. :)
  • Options
    kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    I enjoy this episode! The "lip sync" seems improved over previous episodes, it looks less creepy.
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I wore the uniform that the crew of the Pastak wore, and the Federation Ambassador noted I was wearing a 25th Century uniform. Apparently he needs glasses.
  • Options
    scifijunkie1scifijunkie1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I like Deanna Troi's attitude about time travel and the temporal prime directive. "This is no time to talk about time. We don't have the time!"
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    Here's my response to Temporal Agent F*cktard:

Agent: I'm bringing you to the future to witness the Temporal Accords' signing ceremony because of your role in history!
    Captain Kanril Eleya: I'm curious. What, specifically, do your files say about me?
    Agent: They called you a great captain who--
    Kanril: No, they didn't. They called me a disruptive, disrespectful, insubordinate pain in the TRIBBLE who's good at winning battles. They also probably said I'm always armed. (pulls knife) And you're under arrest.
    Agent: Arrest? For what?
    Kanril: Well, let's see. You're from the 28th century, but this is 2410, which means you have no valid credentials. So I'm charging you with felony impersonation of an officer of the Federation Starfleet.
    Agent: ...You're crazy.
    Kanril: And that wasn't in my file? Please tell me you're resisting arrest, I need the practice. Security to the ready room. Get this moron out of my sight.
    XO: Temporal Investigations is going to raise hell.
    Kanril: Let them. Unlike that TRIBBLE I'm actually upholding the Temporal Prime Directive.

Here's the kicker, what if you knowing is how the future unfolds?

Actually, that's Eleya summarizing her file from her present day. Notice she cut him off before he actually told her anything meaningful about her future.

Maybe his future is different from ours, and the disruption to his history went further back. As in his previously unaltered (in his perspective), Captain Kanril Eleya was a great captain.

Besides, you don't have to be the nicest person in the universe to be great. Just go back in time and ask Alexander the Great ;)
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    just boring: Annorax is back with an other name. the lack of imagination is pitiful
    Well, not with another name. Or back. Annorax had an understandable motivation: He wanted his wife back, someone he had an actual connection with. Noye only knows that in some alternate timeline, he had a wife, whom he has no actual emotional connection to because in THIS timeline, he never experienced that. This places his current motivation in the same category as DDOS Guy: A guy who's irrationally angry because his disagreeable personality keeps him from getting laid and is determined to take it out on everyone else. Not exactly the material of an epic villain, really...

Well, he was getting increasingly irrational according to the little story that was released earlier. Not gettin' enough lovin'. Afterall, Clauda was the countermeasure for his anger management issues.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I wore the uniform that the crew of the Pastak wore, and the Federation Ambassador noted I was wearing a 25th Century uniform. Apparently he needs glasses.
    It's a Klingon. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Has there been any word on whether this weeks maintenance being moved will effect the 'Time and Tide' rewards?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    It looks like the rewards are on schedule.

Personally, I'm more concerned about whether the admirality ship will remain unlockable for other characters, and after the week ends. It sounds like it should, but the explanation is a bit vague.
  • Options
    thelittlenerdthelittlenerd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    null
    Well temporal mechanics is puzzling to sat the least. By the basic principles there is no present time, only future and past (and thats probably not the correct terms in temporal mechanics). Think of it like this, we're talking together, face to face, and I say that my ships impulse engines need repair, by the time your ears physically recognize that I said something what I said would have been delayed. It would be even more obvious if we were say 50 feet apart.

Overall temporal mechanics is not easy to grasp even for me.

I'm honestly very interested to see what will come in "future" patches.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    sotsogm wrote: »
    shevet wrote: »
    Oh noes! [name redacted] has stolen the super-ship!

Whatever can we do about this? We can't go back in time half an hour and take the key out of the super-ship's ignition. We can't go back in time twenty years and book [name redacted] into a high-quality anger management course. We can't even go back in time five minutes and whack [name redacted] over the head with a length of lead pipe....

... wait a minute, actually we can do any and all of these things, because we have got *bleep*ing time machines.

This is the problem with time travel as a plot element; two minutes of thinking through the implications, and you can come up with ways to break the story.

You go run around doing what Captain Walker tells you. Me, I have a length of lead pipe and am shortly going to have an appointment with [name redacted]. (And if some skinny twerp pops up, ranting about "fixed point in time" and "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry", I'll just whack him over the head as well.)

Yeah, but, but, but, see, De Nomolos can then go back in time to right before you got the lead pipe, and keep you from hitting him in the head with it, except you could go back in time to right before he kept you from hitting him... but then... but then... but then you could also go back in time to before he went back in time, and....

And this is where Larry Niven's law of time travel comes from: Time travel is inherently impossible because eventually somebody's going to go back in time and kill the person who came up with it in the first place, which causes the universe to go inside-out and revert everything back to the way it started. Rather like what should have happened with the Mary Sueperweapon, and did in the original timeline before the writers decided to take stupid pills instead of leaving well enough alone.

All of which still goes right back to "Broken Brain" and "Butt-fly". If Kagran couldn't think of a non-time travel solution that didn't involve a pointless head-on charge at a multiple orders-of-magnitude more numerous opponent with a fortified position, he wasn't trying hard enough. I can think of at least two.

More Niven: Once a technology or discovery has been introduced into a fictional setting, it must continue to exist in all chronologically later stories in that setting. Don't like the temporal shielding and sunkiller bomb? Try taking a leaf out of the Voths' playbook and throw out the Omega Directive. Use Omega particles as offensive weapons to interdict the sphere to any subspace magic whatsoever, rendering it impossible for the Iconians to deploy forces. No more war.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Oh yay, it just dumped 400 qmendations ona character who already has the timeship. Now I'll have to convert the 40 a day for the next 10 days? Why the cooldown, when we're getting so many at once?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    Oh yay, it just dumped 400 qmendations ona character who already has the timeship. Now I'll have to convert the 40 a day for the next 10 days? Why the cooldown, when we're getting so many at once?

Fun fact: If you keep those 400 vouchers, then you get a free spec point on that character during the next anniversary.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    On Thursday, January 28th, celebrate the sixth anniversary of Star Trek Online by enjoying our latest featured episode, “Time and Tide”, where captains will travel through time to witness the historical signing of the Temporal Accords.

Learn more about it here!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

I noticed that something was said about the special weekly prizes being flagged as open if we have done them before. I don't suppose this might be account-wide? I know it is a long shot, but running out of time and dealing with a teething baby at the moment, similar reason to why I didn't get the Ferengi Warship on the single character I would have gotten it for, and would hate to miss out on the parts for three of my characters.

Thanks for answering politely.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    It's a Klingon. :p

To a Klingon, all those aliens look alike.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    depotdevildepotdevil Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Does anyone know if there is a way to do this mission now? or is it shut off since past special? I really want the ship in the end.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You can still run the Mission. The USS Pastak is availible as one of the end Rewards. It is an Admiralty Card only.
    The Mission is in the 'Future Proof' Arc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns