test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS & Viacom merger back kon the Agenda

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/cbs-and-viacom-potential-merger-51547056893

I really hope this happens, it makes so much practical sense.

And most importantly it will reunite the star trek licences.

It will also help fill a big hole in CBS All Access, movies. It will also save like over a billion dollars in synergies.

I have also heard that there other things going on behind the scenes.

Comments

• mithrin71mithrin71 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Considering that now the main agents against the merger/s are now out of the way "Les Moonves & Philippe Dauman" Shari Redstone (president of National Amusements as well as vice-chairwoman of CBS Corporation and Viacom) seams to be on track to get the two entities to a merger.

It will be interesting to see what happens especially in regard to licenses and IP agreements that have been in a state of competition between CBS and Paramount (New Viacom).

Hopefully this will mean that Star Trek will stop being butchered by CBS in order to get it different enough to market toys/merchandise without paying for the original ip license agreement .... yes its a mess

And on a note hopefully this will be at a benefit to fans and creators (PWE - Cryptic included), also to look into is the vids at Youtube for some insight on the matter.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    CBS owns the IP.
    How are they making Star Trek different to avoid paying a liscense to themselves???
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited February 2019
    khan5000 wrote: »
    CBS owns the IP.
    How are they making Star Trek different to avoid paying a liscense to themselves???

As far as I'm aware of CBS has a split IP with Paramount (New Viacom) and CBS has the most including the TV side of things, that being said any of the shows that where produced under Paramount have marketing rights for them so any toys or items made (that are cannon or within that ownership) will still benefit Paramount not CBS .... THIS is why CBS are changing Star Trek to get an IP/Character that they can market and make money off as toys and merchandise are big business.

That being said with the exit of Les Moonves and the basically hostile takeover by Shari Redstone hopefully this all will be a moot point by 2020.

as i said .... its a mess XD
    edited February 2019
    ^ think of it like the deal Lucas and 20th Century Fox had for IP / Toys
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It was rather obvious it was back on the table and quite honestly i can never understand why Star Trek was split down the middle like that, Paramount holds the rights to create films for Star Trek and CBS hold the rights to everything else and it's been nothing short of a disaster as to how its been handled.

In some cack-handed type of way CBS and Paramount have managed to get something going, but the fact these mergers keep coming up obviously means it was a mistake from the start to split the IP up like that and frankly i think everyone would be happy to put humpty back together again. In a perfect world having the IP to be made whole again would give the likes of Kurtzman and Orci the chance to fuse the whole thing together instead of all this alternative universe nonsense both films and Discovery have been into recently and more importantly the sooner the merger is in place the sooner a replacement for Chris Pine and Zachery Quinto can be found for the 4th trek film and get that going. Meanwhile the likes of Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban can make appearances in Discovery on the Enterprise in their respective prime roles for an episode or two in some future season.

it would also be useful to have a film or two to bridge from Nemesis to the Picard tv series and some how tie in the starfleet academy soap opera as well. it would be nice to get some timeline filled in after nemesis.

Of couse this all assumes there are no dissenters like Les Moonves who stubbornly kept to his selfish reasons to keeping it down every year.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @patrickngo said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/cbs-and-viacom-potential-merger-51547056893
    >
    > I really hope this happens, it makes so much practical sense.
    >
    > And most importantly it will reunite the star trek licences.
    >
    > It will also help fill a big hole in CBS All Access, movies. It will also save like over a billion dollars in synergies.
    >
    > I have also heard that there other things going on behind the scenes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'd be pleased for the sake of Trek fans, but for the rest of the consumers, more monopolistic directions are bad. we're already down to a 5 corporation oligarchy in the U.S. controlling all your media.

Which five?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    45cd6e301a2d344406776d9259eeb3d2.jpg

I'd be more worried about all restaraunts becoming Taco Bell.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    > @patrickngo said:
    > Newscorp, General Electric(comcast), Disney corporation, Time-Warner, and CBS. When you look at related holdings, those five control over ninety percent of all media in the U.S., from newspapers and magazines to cable news to online news sources, radio...etc.
    >
    > and of course, movie studios.
    >
    > there are plenty of conspiracy theorists out there who think this is something goofy ("Mind Control!!") rather than just being the result of economy of scale.

What about Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, Stargate Command, Fantasy Network for example?

Honestly I watch very little from the corporations you mentioned (of course I'm Canadian so that might have something to do with it ;p

Honestly I mostly watch Cravetv (not availible in the US), Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, Stargate Command, CBC. There is still room to add more, I plan on getting the Fantasy Network as well.

I think you will find that the future holds many new competitors in the streaming market.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/cbs-and-viacom-potential-merger-51547056893

I really hope this happens, it makes so much practical sense.

And most importantly it will reunite the star trek licences.

It will also help fill a big hole in CBS All Access, movies. It will also save like over a billion dollars in synergies.

I have also heard that there other things going on behind the scenes.

I'd be pleased for the sake of Trek fans, but for the rest of the consumers, more monopolistic directions are bad. we're already down to a 5 corporation oligarchy in the U.S. controlling all your media.

One thing though the Redstones have had control of Viacom - CBS/Nu Viacom (Paramount) for decades till Sumner Redstone split it (but still in control) .... unlike EVERYONE else that was consolidating under one banner, Shari Redstone has the opposite opinion apparently.

so frankly whatever happens .... happens though i would prefer if IP's were run by people who had more respect for the IP than your average uninterested stakeholder/shareholder. .... I'M LOOKING AT YOU EA >:)
    > @mithrin71 said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    >
    > https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/cbs-and-viacom-potential-merger-51547056893
    >
    >
    >
    > It will also help fill a big hole in CBS All Access, movies. It will also save like over a billion dollars in synergies.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'd be pleased for the sake of Trek fans, but for the rest of the consumers, more monopolistic directions are bad. we're already down to a 5 corporation oligarchy in the U.S. controlling all your media.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > One thing though the Redstones have had control of Viacom - CBS/Nu Viacom (Paramount) for decades till Sumner Redstone split it (but still in control) .... unlike EVERYONE else that was consolidating under one banner, Shari Redstone has the opposite opinion apparently.
    >
    > so frankly whatever happens .... happens though i would prefer if IP's were run by people who had more respect for the IP than your average uninterested stakeholder/shareholder. .... I'M LOOKING AT YOU EA >:)

It's wasn't Shari's idea to split the companies up, it was her fathers bad idea and it came at a somewhat bad time ultimately, I don't think he saw the rise of streaming coming which changed EVERYTHING. Les Moonves was a fool for opposing the merger, and while I don't buy the accusations against him, they should have dumped him for bad business decisions.
    edited February 2019
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @mithrin71 said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > One thing though the Redstones have had control of Viacom - CBS/Nu Viacom (Paramount) for decades till Sumner Redstone split it (but still in control) .... unlike EVERYONE else that was consolidating under one banner, Shari Redstone has the opposite opinion apparently.
    >
    > so frankly whatever happens .... happens though i would prefer if IP's were run by people who had more respect for the IP than your average uninterested stakeholder/shareholder. .... I'M LOOKING AT YOU EA >:)

It's wasn't Shari's idea to split the companies up, it was her fathers bad idea and it came at a somewhat bad time ultimately, I don't think he saw the rise of streaming coming which changed EVERYTHING. Les Moonves was a fool for opposing the merger, and while I don't buy the accusations against him, they should have dumped him for bad business decisions.

^ I think you miss read what i said note the comma though i should have been clearer, basically she had the opposite opinion of her father which split the company up where she wanted to keep it under one group (also the reason for their estranged relationship).