test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Number One’s Name

marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
Do you want to learn Number One’s real name in Discovery?

Number One’s Name 22 votes

Yes
40%
garaks31gaevsmanhawku001xazrael605rattler2thay8472psiameesetvalavulcanmarty123#3757 9 votes
No
59%
coldnapalmmirrorchaosilithynseaofsorrowscirran1patrickngobaronvonboomneoakiraiimarkhawkmanstarswordcn7belannamindmage2pomonagrange#3097 13 votes

Comments

• marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Yes
    > @azrael605 said:
    > And we will.

Hopefully, it is Discovery after all.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Wrong board.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    No
    It's been 50 years I want her to be the Trek version of The Doctor we don't need to know her name I mean in the Cage everyone called her number One i always figured that was her name

Edit: Plus wouldn't they have already said it Pike told Burhham Number one is very resourceful. She doesn't know who the hell Number one is wouldn't he have said my first officer or my number one is very resourceful or used her last name Commander blah blah ...but he said Number one as if that's her name
    GwaoHAD.png
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Yes
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > And we will.
    > >
    > > Hopefully, it is Discovery after all.
    >
    > No idea what that means.

Discovery aren’t know for giving fans what they want...
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    First doesn't this belong to Ten Forward rather then general, that said didn't one the EU novels already name her? And it wouldn't be unheard of for CO to call their XO by a nickname and "number one" would be nickname any starfleet officer would understand (coming from first officer).

And of course it's possible that while she has a name it's not a one that Pike can pronounce and thus "number one" is her name for all intents and purposes, while it's not name that's in her service files.

For example while fairly normal finish male first name, my first name is nearly impossible to pronounce correctly in most american accents and there was also there last name of one of our prime ministers (Jäätteenmäki) that was so hard to pronounce for them(obviously it's easy enough for us finns) that the English press called her mrs. unpronounceble.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No
    I think it's one of those things they've decided they don't have a reason to address. If she has a minor role they don't even need to address it really. And so far Nhan(the Barzan engineer) has had a bigger role.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    No

Says who?

Some people have already decided that they will hate everything Discovery does or doesn't do. That's their problem, the show is giving it's fans plenty.

As for her name, I don't think they will say. She seemed to be just a brief appearance and then gone. I don't think she'll be around enough in Discovery to get named.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    No
    "I am not a number! I am a man!" Oops. Sorry. Wrong TV series. :smile:
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    No
    I'd prefer the mystery to remain in place. keeps you wondering who she is and what she can do.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > And we will.
    > >
    > > Hopefully, it is Discovery after all.
    >
    > No idea what that means.

People didnt like the look of klingons in season 1 or their ships in season 2 they give them hair (which ironacly really helps) and show a begining to the D7.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Number One of ?????
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    "I am not a number! I am a man!" Oops. Sorry. Wrong TV series. :smile:

Number One's name? By hook or by crook, we'll get it.

Be seeing you.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Who are you?
    The new Number Two.
    Who is Number One?
    You are, Number Six.

Notice the comma placement in the last line. It changes the whole meaning of that line.

https://youtu.be/zalndXdxriI
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    “Number One” is, IIRC The term British captains use to refer to the Executive Officer, or XO in USN lingo. Came fro the old sailing ship term for First Officer. So she definitely has a name, though only the captain probably uses it, and then only in private
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    "And this is Ms. One."

"Please, call me Number." :D
  • pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    No
    kiralyn wrote: »
    "And this is Ms. One."

"Please, call me Number." :D

lol...

"I've seen you before."

"No, you haven't."

"You're Nurse Chapel."

"Only in my spare time."

"And the voice of the ship's computer."

"Perhaps."

"Who else are you?"

"The new Number Two."

"But you said you were Number One. Which one are you?"

"Spoilers."
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    No
    ENOUGH with the damn previous-star cameos that add nothing to the setting of the show. This is not a story about the damn Enterprise, it's about USS Discovery.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited February 2019
    No
    spiritborn wrote: »
    For example while fairly normal finish male first name, my first name is nearly impossible to pronounce correctly in most american accents and there was also there last name of one of our prime ministers (Jäätteenmäki) that was so hard to pronounce for them(obviously it's easy enough for us finns) that the English press called her mrs. unpronounceble.

LOL, I remember Tom Hanks hosting Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on NPR and making a crack about "the Polish foreign minister, whose name we'll not say because it would blow NPR's annual consonant budget".

I like the Finnish language, BTW, you guys have some of the coolest colloquialisms I've ever come across.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »
    ENOUGH with the damn previous-star cameos that add nothing to the setting of the show. This is not a story about the damn Enterprise, it's about USS Discovery.

She's not a cameo. Like Pike and Spock they will be playing a large role in the current series.

And it is possible for characters to transfer shows. O'Brien and Worf did it. Ro would have done it too if not for actor availability.

Number One appeared in about 15 minutes of an unaired pilot, she didn't even have a KT counterpart like Pike and Spock so she's hardly there to be a cameo because there's only a fraction of DSCs audience who'll have any clue who she is.

Also, in what way is she 'adding nothing'? She'll be a recurring guest in this series of DSC, do you have a crystal ball?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2019
    No
    artan42 wrote: »

She's not a cameo. Like Pike and Spock they will be playing a large role in the current series.

And it is possible for characters to transfer shows. O'Brien and Worf did it. Ro would have done it too if not for actor availability.

Number One appeared in about 15 minutes of an unaired pilot, she didn't even have a KT counterpart like Pike and Spock so she's hardly there to be a cameo because there's only a fraction of DSCs audience who'll have any clue who she is.

Also, in what way is she 'adding nothing'? She'll be a recurring guest in this series of DSC, do you have a crystal ball?​​
    It's the same reason I disapprove of Cryptic's overreliance on TV character cameos: STO is not their story, it's mine (or my characters', rather).

DS9 upgraded one old recurring character into a main cast member, and didn't base a huge chunk of the story on his background as a TNG character. Later they added Worf as a subject matter expert on the Klingons, and again let him develop separately without relying on TNG. They used Picard as a send-off for the series, and they brought in Q and Vash once and then never spoke of them again. (Notice that VGR couldn't help having Q turn up repeatedly: the showrunners were insistent on aping TNG.) Two permanent transplants, and three cameos in 24 episodes of one season of seven.

Contrast DSC. The main character of the series is Spock's never-before-heard-of sister. Sarek turns up again and again. Pike turns up. Now Spock. And all of this in the space of the first nineteen episodes. Who are they going to throw in next, McCoy? How about they meet up with USS Farragut so a young Kirk can join in?

It displays both a lack of originality and inconfidence in your own premise. Not to mention a positively lousy sense of scale: Of all the billions of Vulcans on 40 Eridani A II, Burnham just happened to have been adopted by Sarek? He can't possibly be the only unprejudiced pointy-ear that century. Of all the thousands of ships and millions of spacers in Starfleet and billions of cubic light-years of space in the Federation, they just happen to emerge from their mirror bulls**t in front of the Enterprise? Maybe they really are the only ship in the quadrant.

It's in the name of the show: DSC is not the Enterprise's story, it's Discovery's. The occasional cameo? I don't mind that. Constantly bringing back an unending succession of old characters instead of creating original ones and fleshing out the OCs you already have? The hell with that, the Star Trek world is small enough as it is.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

Also, in what way is she 'adding nothing'? She'll be a recurring guest in this series of DSC, do you have a crystal ball?
    It's the same reason I disapprove of Cryptic's overreliance on TV character cameos: STO is not their story, it's mine (or my characters', rather).

DS9 upgraded one old recurring character into a main cast member, and didn't base a huge chunk of the story on his background as a TNG character. Later they added Worf as a subject matter expert on the Klingons, and again let him develop separately without relying on TNG. They used Picard as a send-off for the series, and they brought in Q and Vash once and then never spoke of them again. (Notice that VGR couldn't help having Q turn up repeatedly: the showrunners were insistent on aping TNG.) Two permanent transplants, and three cameos in 24 episodes of one season of seven.

Contrast DSC. The main character of the series is Spock's never-before-heard-of sister. Sarek turns up again and again. Pike turns up. Now Spock. And all of this in the space of the first nineteen episodes. Who are they going to throw in next, McCoy? How about they meet up with USS Farragut so a young Kirk can join in?

It displays both a lack of originality and inconfidence in your own premise. Not to mention a positively lousy sense of scale: Of all the billions of Vulcans on 40 Eridani A II, Burnham just happened to have been adopted by Sarek? He can't possibly be the only unprejudiced pointy-ear that century. Of all the thousands of ships and millions of spacers in Starfleet and billions of cubic light-years of space in the Federation, they just happen to emerge from their mirror bulls**t in front of the Enterprise? Maybe they really are the only ship in the quadrant.

It's in the name of the show: DSC is not the Enterprise's story, it's Discovery's. The occasional cameo? I don't mind that. Constantly bringing back an unending succession of old characters instead of creating original ones and fleshing out the OCs you already have? The hell with that, the Star Trek world is small enough as it is.

No. You're overreacting by weighting a full run series (DS9) against a 1 series and a handful of episodes series (DSC).

Burnham's relationship to Spock rarely came up in series 1, it's only now Spock is featuring that she ties in more so she's now fulfilling the role of Worf.

Enterprise doesn't feature much (about as much as the Defiant in FC) which makes Pike and Number One Discover characters, not transplanted TOS ones (again, they never were featured in TOS proper so are far more like Q in DS9 or Quark in VGR, minor characters for continuity).

Things can be linked and be their own story. Neither Pike or Number One are currently in their own show so you're not having to watch something else to make sense of this, they're just people who have a logical reason to be around Discovery.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!