Options

Why do people not like Discovery?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Yes because alien races should speak English perfectly

Was one of the things that I liked about Stargate SG-1 for the first season or two. It actually took a while for the protagonists to figure out how to talk to the people they meet instead of everyone speaking English. It also gave some purpose to Daniel Jackson's role instead of his wife was stolen by aliens.
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Yes because alien races should speak English perfectly

Right. They figured out post TNG holotech to the point that an incoming holo signal can sit on local furniture, a propulsion system that can take them anywhere in space in any universe, but a Universal Translator made from something other than two cups and some string with Rosetta Stone on one end is too much a suspension of disbelief.

Sure.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Not so sure of that, since the TNG version sounded a lot closer to Star Trek III, and that's where Marc Okrand started it (With James Doohan's help and ad-libs by the actor.) The lisping and gargling marbles thing came a lot later, and there's also delivery.

I mean, how could they make Klingons speaking Klingon boring? but they did, and even what were supposed to be barn-burning calls to action came across as the muddled musings of impotence and weakness.
    The Klingon language isn't supposed to be interesting Pat.

Its a language of a barbaric, warlike, species that was originally designed to lack any sort of words or phrases to end conversations. As Okrand originally designed it, conversations in Klingon ended only when one party stormed off, or both parties began killing each other, because that was the Klingon way, and courtesy wasn't part of Klingon culture. Why would it be anything BUT boring? Klingons barely used it themselves.

Ronald D Moore himself stated that he let every individual author use Okrand's Klingon language to the degree they wanted, and that he didn't follow it much because he felt it was constricting. Okrand, to his credit, didn't fight it, but just said the version we typically heard in the movies and TNG was one of the various sub dialects of Klingon, of which there were like 80+

and you don't think that's supposed to be interesting?

wow.

Eighty dialects, Som. and the one they pick makes what should be a dramatic and exciting moment in their premiere episode about as much fun as listening to bored interns going over a powerpoint at a failing retailer.
    The most amusing thing here? It suggests Uhura's Klingon wasn't as bad as people originally thought. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    especially given her translation came out to 'we AM THY freighter ursva', not 'we ARE THE freighter ursva'...they must've thought she was drunk - klingons get drunk a LOT​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mithrin71mithrin71 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    The changes were done for business reasons not creative, specifically for monetary gain in merchandising cause anything star trek that is or has a likeness to TOS or ip prior under Paramount cannot be merchandised for profit to CBS so they had to change it (BAD ROBOT - Alex Kurtzman) to make it different enough to get the moneys that's what all this has boiled down to money an who gets it .... certainly not CBS is they has done cannon.

and thats why i hate the new trek cbs is destroying it for greed not cause of creativity
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    A big problem with Discovery is the serialized format which of coruse they have to adapt because it's trendy. But when one finds the story unappealing, the whole series is pretty much done for. "The Orville" uses the old episodic format, but keeps a sense of continuity by referring to events of earlier episodes. I think this is a perfect format that allows some story arcs to be in the show, but you still get a sense of variety watching.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    A big problem with Discovery is the serialized format which of coruse they have to adapt because it's trendy. But when one finds the story unappealing, the whole series is pretty much done for. "The Orville" uses the old episodic format, but keeps a sense of continuity by referring to events of earlier episodes. I think this is a perfect format that allows some story arcs to be in the show, but you still get a sense of variety watching.​​
    Season 2 is far more episodic than Season 1, however, while still maintaining a stronger series arc than most previous shows (It's more like during the DS9 Dominion War era).
    So I guess they might have learned their lesson.

Though I am not sure I agree with the lesson. Yes, if you don't like a series arc it might not be great for you, but for people that like the series arc, it's pretty cool if it remains the focus. But either way, I am very happy with season 2. It lives up to my personal season 2 hype.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    If CBS stuck with what they're good at we'd get The Big Bang Trek.

"USS Enterprise lives across the hall from hot Romulan Starship. Will it ever score? Or will Enterprise' Klingon friends TRIBBLE it all up? Tune in next week when Enterprise bumps into Hot Romulan Starship in the laundry and mistakenly takes her clothes home."