test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sovereign Dreadnought with BFG (AGT style)

space359space359 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I propose that a Sovereign Dreadnought is developed, using current assault cruiser customization pieces with the addition of an AGT style BFG under the saucer. I've come across some representative stl files and made a mashup of my own to get the point across. Also, please add some custom scale sliders to ship components! Look how BA a standard assault cruiser can look if you can tweek components from multiple designs together to blend well:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BrY7oYjZyLKiG5ot8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XWdsrX4GCJMLGBV49
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWRd52bhdNe9G9EaA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENdz3JDMGqMdGxx99
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zubDcaUMinTPSgLR7

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Unfortunately they can't use designs from other games, and they don't really use fan made designs anymore since the last time they did it caused a mess.
  • space359space359 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    These are all components from STO.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Well it's still a fan who put it together, if it isn't official from the devs the creator can claim the devs stole it...and that is a mess they don't want or need.
    The idea is not novel or original by any means. Mainly just a suggestion for a sovereign dreadnought that is on par with the galaxy variant. Everything is in game already, and there have been other threads on this issue since the galaxy dreadnought came out. I'm not going to argue semantics about it.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Don't really see a need for a "Sovereign-X" Dreadnought.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Fan created ships won't be used in STO, it does not matter if its all STO components or not. The massive shitstorm around the fan created Odyssey made that absolutely certain.

Plus the legal difficulties of even if they wanted to do a pure fan design contest again. License fees, royalites potential for the creator etc.

Cryptic learned long ago not to shake that tree again. Community didnt exactly help matters with how they reacted with the E-F
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    Again, not fan created. A fan cannot claim that they designed a ship made entirely out of studio developed models.

I think the missing key here is that you are reading into my suggestion as: build this exact thing I have in the pictures

and not, hey it would be cool to make a dreadnought like the Galaxy version with STUDIO built assault cruiser components. Since the galaxy version is paramount owned, taking that and mixing in the assault cruiser pieces has nothing to do with using a fan design.

Also, I still think we need starship component scale sliders for captains to better tailor pieces from multiple ship 'classes' to mesh well together. I've always run into issues where I prefer a type of pylon or nacelle to find that using it with a different hull makes it run into the saucer section or something like that.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Unfortunately they can't use designs from other games, and they don't really use fan made designs anymore since the last time they did it caused a mess.

the temporal cruiser looks a LOT like a Bonneville, just with 2 extra engine pods put on it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Gods I hate fan designed ships. They're so lazy. Kitbashing older ships into TMP style ones or sticking extra nacelles on existing ships.

Just draw something new or interesting.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • feralaffferalaff Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    It's time the federation makes a real battleship! So i like the idea, BUT:
    -i would like it "more bulky" with nacelles closer to main hull...let's learn from vaadwaur or the defiant concept ;-)

-i don't like much the federal big saucers...i prefer defiant, prometheus, intrepid. I never liked galaxy huge saucer section. But, are my personal tastes
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Gods I hate fan designed ships. They're so lazy. Kitbashing older ships into TMP style ones or sticking extra nacelles on existing ships.

The odyessey was a fan creation.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

The odyessey was a fan creation.

Well technically all of STOs ships are fan designs. And it was clearly hyperbolic because this post is just a bastardised Sovereign in the laziest possible way. If the post had involved an original design I'd probably had a different reaction.

I'm sure some fans put a lot of effort into their ships, but because it's easy to copy and paste a nacelle on MS paint, the majority of fan ships are uninspired.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Q8HtGF6.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.