test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics look changed/lowered

I just got my computer wiped and restored, I've already updated to the latest driver update for my graphics card, which is a nvidia 1050 ti. The issue is that everything looks smaller/further away especially the text and it looks like I'm playing on lowered graphics settings as this has happened to me before but I'm unable to fix it this time. I've already tried setting graphics to max in options but it didn't work. This problem is both on the character select screen and in-game for all my characters.

Comments

• misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    This problem isn't fixing itself apparently even with updating to a newer driver version. Here's a picture of my character select screen, it's has a different look to it than what it normally looks like due to this graphics bug.

GlzzCyk.png

• guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    This is definitely a "your computer" problem, not STO problem.

Your user interface is the correct size. If it was bigger before, you were playing in fullscreen with a resolution lower than your monitor's native resolution. If you want it to be bigger, that's how you'd do it.

If you didn't run at max settings before, you may just not like the way the game looks at max settings. Disabling Antialiasing and depth of field may improve the way it looks to you.

If you're getting low quality with settings set to max, the most likely culprit is your graphics driver settings overwriting your game settings. Open Nvidia Control Panel (click Start and type nvidia into your search box to find it). Navigate to "Manage 3D Settings" and find "Program Settings." Find or add STO (may just be called Game Client with the STO logo). Change every line to "Application Controlled."
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I thought I would mention a couple of settings on STO itself, that I mess with, that kinda adjusts the things you are complaining about. Not to say game settings is the issue...but wonder if it could help:

1.) Resolution Scale, in Options, Graphics tab. It should be at "1" (one).
    I usually knock resolution scale down a couple of notches because I don't like the sharp edges on everything. Mine is set for ".98" or so.

Frankly, this is something left over from when I played the game on my older computer that I used to have to run "Half Resolution" option with. THAT was blurry, but I was used to the "softness" of the art. And when I got this computer with a NVIDIA graphics card on it...I did not like how sharp things looked. LOL!

2.) Interface Scale, in Options, Basic tab. It should be at "1" (one).
    I have moved that slider up to 1.03. What this does for me is makes the UI larger and easier to read.

I sometimes will take it larger so I can zoom in on an particular icon. You know those tiny ones that show buffs and stuff....but only for a few minutes. Because as you move this slider up...it makes everything in the HUD larger, too. So, it ends up over lapping and covering more and more of the screen.... you can not play the game that way. Unless you have a HUGE monitor screen.

Anyhoo...one more bit of advice....check to make sure settings are actually "set" with slider and numbers matching, and not just sitting there at some default point. There has been refreshing issues with the settings screen, lately...with the program not showing what is really there all the time. Just toggle and "Apply".

++++++++++++

BTW...on my NVIDIA Control Panel, under 3-D Settings...not sure if we are using the same version of that program, since my card is older, too. LOL!

Under "Adjust image settings with preview", there is a global setting for "Let the 3-D Application Decide".

Under "Manage 3-D settings", there is two tabs. One for "Global Settings", another for "Program Settings". "Program Settings" is where I see Star Trek Online listed and it is interesting just to look through that, though I don't understand it. The NVIDIA control panel has little blurbs explaining it, I usually just Google it if I think I need to.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Guriphu, I went into the nvidia control panel and to the 3d settings, found the sto game and I set everything I could to application controlled which only a few of the things even had that as an option but when I tried to login to the sto launcher I get the error message: unable to authenticate: connection to the account server timed out. I'm guessing this is because I changed the 3d settings as it was working yesterday.

EDIT: Apparently everybody is getting the authenticate problem so nevermind about that.
    EDIT #2: Now that STO is working again I tried it with the new settings but there was no change in the graphics.
    Post edited by misanthrope#6636 on