test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashing with new update

coachlescoachles Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I've tried logging into the game for two days, and each time the new update download begins, it crashed my system at about 4% on the patch... locks up my system, so have to do a hard boot on my computer.
...any suggestions, solutions, etc.?

Comments

• pomonagrange#3097 pomonagrange Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Coachles: There's already a thread in this forum about this, but I forget what it's called. In it, I've been reporting as best I can what's been happening to me.

I've had exactly the same problem as you've had since Thursday afternoon. I've tried rebooting modem, rebooting computer, fixing Windows 7 registry (via Glary Utilities' Windows registry fixer), uninstalling and reinstalling Arc, Steam and Star Trek Online. You're the third person to report problems. In a way I'm glad I'm not alone in this; but on the flip side, I'm equally sorry I have company. I've looked at different websites (Arc tech support, Steam tech support, Reddit, etc.) and so far we three are the only ones reporting problems since Thursday's STO patch. I thought fixing the Windows 7 registry this morning would solve the problem ... well, it didn't crash at 0% and freeze the computer ... it crashed at 4.5% instead and froze the computer.

I have no idea how to solve this. I wish I did so I could tell you and the other user what to do (maybe something that I wrote about in the other thread will help you out). For now, I guess all we can do is wait for Cryptic to tell us what's happening and what they're trying to do to solve it. In the meantime, I'm missing STO more than ever.
    Coachles: Correction: The thread I referred to isn't in *this* forum. It's in the PC, Networking, etc. forum in the "Can't log in" thread. Sorry for misdirecting you.
    The full heading for the thread I mentioned is "Can't Log into STO". I should've made sure of that before posting my last message to you.
  • euar0euar0 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I get the same thing .. patch is complete but when it tries to mirror a file it crashes, so not peer to peer or networking . its a program bug.
  • fahlthurfahlthur Member Posts: 4 New User
    Having the exact same problem since 01-17-2019 patch and finding no answers on how to resolve.
  • defianttrondefianttron Member Posts: 5 New User
    > @coachles said:
    > I've tried logging into the game for two days, and each time the new update download begins, it crashed my system at about 4% on the patch... locks up my system, so have to do a hard boot on my computer.
    > ...any suggestions, solutions, etc.?

I have the same issue as this, I installed arc and began install of STO and it hard crashes my PC
  • defianttrondefianttron Member Posts: 5 New User
    > @"pomonagrange#3097" said:
    > Coachles: There's already a thread in this forum about this, but I forget what it's called. In it, I've been reporting as best I can what's been happening to me.
    >
    > I've had exactly the same problem as you've had since Thursday afternoon. I've tried rebooting modem, rebooting computer, fixing Windows 7 registry (via Glary Utilities' Windows registry fixer), uninstalling and reinstalling Arc, Steam and Star Trek Online. You're the third person to report problems. In a way I'm glad I'm not alone in this; but on the flip side, I'm equally sorry I have company. I've looked at different websites (Arc tech support, Steam tech support, Reddit, etc.) and so far we three are the only ones reporting problems since Thursday's STO patch. I thought fixing the Windows 7 registry this morning would solve the problem ... well, it didn't crash at 0% and freeze the computer ... it crashed at 4.5% instead and froze the computer.
    >
    > I have no idea how to solve this. I wish I did so I could tell you and the other user what to do (maybe something that I wrote about in the other thread will help you out). For now, I guess all we can do is wait for Cryptic to tell us what's happening and what they're trying to do to solve it. In the meantime, I'm missing STO more than ever.

I have same issue.
  • coachlescoachles Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I tried again a few times today... still no luck getting the damn thing running without locking up the entire system.
    Growing tired of complaining, and reporting this issue without a response from Admins, Techs, IT, etc. at ARC or STO.
  • kainbdckainbdc Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I am still having the same problems. Have not been able to play the game on my pc scents the patch.
  • morganhd1morganhd1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Same here.

Do they even look at this forum?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    They will need more information about your system set up in order to help you. At least, the operating system you are trying to run STO on and are you trying to run it through Arc? Which brand/type of graphics card?? As well as date of the patch the program died with.

Anyone make a ticket with Customer Service? They may need that ticket number ,too.

The object is to find if there are similarities between everyone with this trouble that may point to a cause.

Meantime: @engineerb4#4806 @chrian#9670 might be able to get some triage on this.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    morganhd1 wrote: »
    Same here.

Do they even look at this forum?

Yes, they do.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I am sure if they were aware players cannot send them their money there would be an emergency maintenance for this problem.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    What is strange about the problem is it is not affecting me. I had something similar happen on one day and only once but otherwise smooth sailing. I wonder if the Windows update messed up the launcher. That is why I don't have automatic updates turned on to avoid things like that happening.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2019
    What a Cryptic Engineer (thought they were from Neverwinter) once told me to try doing; yet as both games are designed using a similar engine so the same may apply here.

NOTE: I've tested STEP 1 & STEP 2 to ensure the game client properly downloads the files after completing STEP 2. But again I'm not having the issue you are either, so realize any additional info you can provide, using the SUPPORT link with more system INFO, can not only help Support Ticket Information, but perhaps also this forum in helping you resolve your particular issue. So your Windows Version &/or Operating System, is it fully and properly patched as well? What is the Video Card Driver Version installed and have you tried a slightly more up-to-date version, and even the Video Card being used may be helpful.

I was once told to TRY clearly the following folders, if you don't want to delete use 'cut' instead. Then you can cut or move them to the desktop (temporarily) in case it does correct the issue so you can still compare what was and what is.

STEP 1:
    Navigate to your DRIVE \Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live

*Note two sub folders exist under that path:
    \x64 -this contains about 58.3 MB of files in 18 files
    \x86 - this contains about 45.1 MB of files in 18 files
    • Ideally 'move' or 'cut' these folder's (temporarily) to your desktop prior to launching the game client.
    • The game will think they are missing, if you select 'Option' from Launcher and choose 'Force Verify'.
    • You however have to close the client and then relaunch it before it will start the verify step.
    • In fact selecting this 'option' may in fact resolve your problem.

STEP 2:
    Navigate to your DRIVE \Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient
    Check file names Xxxxxxxx…_2019-01-25_00-00-00 (Date & Time past patch of 23rd)

Particularly pay attention to the details contained within:
    Crash_2019-01-23_00-00-00
    Makeshaderbins_xxxx_2019-01-23_00-00-00 <---You should at least see one for this date following the patch
    Crash... may give additional details to help narrow down the cause.
    Makeshaderbins… may not be bad but good. Means the \Live\Piggs Folder was updated or denote issues.
    • If you don't see the Makeshader bin's on LAUNCH of CLIENT, if you selected 'Force Verify' it may also correct this.

Perhaps some of this may HELP?
    0zxlclk.png
  • kainbdckainbdc Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    After a reinstall of win7 everything is working again.