test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terran Fortune Tribbles

anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
These Tribbles, made from any other Tribble eating a Terran Fortune Cookie, have a very strange social problem. If you have one in your inventory, and probably any bank, along with (apparently) any other kind of Tribble, save for other Terran Fortune Tribbles, it will turn into a Cannibal Tribble. I have no idea if this is a bug or intended behavior, being that they come from the Mirror Universe, so I'm posting this here as a warning.

A friend told me that he was getting a bunch of Cannibal Tribbles without the normal food items that you need to make them, so I started testing various combos to see what was happening. When one left in the inventory with just a Cannibal Tribble turned, I figured that maybe it was an oddball reaction, that the Cannibal ate it and somehow converted it directly to another Cannibal, rather than a Carcass. Then I set up a few other experiments, one with just 2 Terran Fortune Tribbles, 1 with a Terran Fortune Tribble and a common Tribble, and 1 with a Terran Fortune Tribble and a unique Tribble. The 2 Terran Fortune Tribbles lived in harmony, while the Terran Fortune Tribbles with the common and unique Tribble neighbors both turned into Cannibals at feeding time.
This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Something odd is going on with Tribbles...I am finding an extra one here and there and no food items around.
    Not just the Cannibal ones, either.

I swear to god if that Fortune Cookie Tribble eats any of my Holiday or Risan Tribbles while in the bank...I will be very ticked off.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    and it looks like the kelvin tribble, rather than a fuzzy fortune cookie
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

It looks like a fuzzy Fortune Cookie to me....except when you pet it...then you get that blue lens flare thing.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

It looks like a fuzzy Fortune Cookie to me....except when you pet it...then you get that blue lens flare thing.

when I pet it, it still is the blue fuzz tribble, with flare. o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited January 2019
    ACK!!!! The Winter Wonderland Tribble ATE my Fortune Cookie Tribble and left a Cannibal Tribble in its place!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to make another Fortune Cookie Tribble for this character.

I did not play on most of my characters yesterday...am I going to come back to this on all of them??? LOL!

I guess, Fortune Cookie Tribbles are Tasty to all Tribbles.....kinda reminds me of that graham cracker cereal commercial.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    I'm guessing that the Tribble is getting eaten because it looks like a fortune cookie, and therefore, looks like food to other Tribbles.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    you can stop them from getting eaten by giving them to a boff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    I've forwarded this on.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    This is kinda funny. Like was it planned this way, or is it a bug? I mean tribbles dont "see" whats in our inventory, they just eat things they are programmed to, right? So was the fortune tribble INTENTIONALLY or ACCIDENTALLY coded as food?

Either way.....KiNdA funny....
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I've forwarded this on.

Can we also get the system message they spawn when you pet them, turned into a whisper for the one that pets them?

I have system turned of in my chat, simply because I don't want to read the System spam that appears on screen of "Person@person has acquired" message. I wish I could turn of the popup on my screen. In both instances, this is just spam.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited January 2019
    trennan wrote: »
    I've forwarded this on.

Can we also get the system message they spawn when you pet them, turned into a whisper for the one that pets them?

I have system turned of in my chat, simply because I don't want to read the System spam that appears on screen of "Person@person has acquired" message. I wish I could turn of the popup on my screen. In both instances, this is just spam.

They heard you!!!
    Resolved an issue that would cause the messages from the Fortune Cookie and Fortune Tribble to be heard by players other than their intended recipient.

Patch notes for 31 January 2019....
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11081393
    Post edited by where2r1 on

• anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    This is kinda funny. Like was it planned this way, or is it a bug? I mean tribbles dont "see" whats in our inventory, they just eat things they are programmed to, right? So was the fortune tribble INTENTIONALLY or ACCIDENTALLY coded as food?

Either way.....KiNdA funny....

I'm thinking it's a bug now. They aren't coded as normal food, otherwise they would produce a random tribble. The fact that they turn into Cannibal Tribbles, at least in every case that I've seen is just too odd. The only things that make Cannibal Tribbles when eaten are Tribble Kebabs and Baked Tribbles. Since the prototype versions of the Terran Fortune Tribbles became Tribble Kebabs a few months back, maybe there's something linking the current ones to Tribble Kebabs in the code.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    trennan wrote: »
    I've forwarded this on.

They heard you!!!
    Resolved an issue that would cause the messages from the Fortune Cookie and Fortune Tribble to be heard by players other than their intended recipient.

Patch notes for 31 January 2019....
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11081393

I think it's sad that they changed this. I was enjoying getting these random messages. Better than TRIBBLE@xxxx just won a T6 blah blah...
    I think it's sad that they changed this. I was enjoying getting these random messages. Better than TRIBBLE@xxxx just won a T6 blah blah...

We can turn it off on PC....by turning off "Gameplay Announcements".
    Check and see if there is something similar for PS4 and XBox. I am sure they used similar wording for it.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1246757/turning-off-lockbox-announcements

• galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    If it's a bug, they should find out what caused it and save it so they can bring it back around Halloween. Zombie tribbles stalking the normal ones sounds like fun.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    mine became a cannibal. no clue how it did it. i did try to breed mine with a vulcan spiced tea for two hrs and nothing happened. (had them both in inventory)

stuffed it the bank, ten minutes later out popped a cannibal.

Was this today, after the patch????
    Resolved an issue that was causing the Fortune Cookie Tribble to be eaten by other Tribbles.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11085673

edited February 2019
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    i think it was wednesday. i know it was this week.

Well...the patch to fix it came out on Thursday.
    So, if it was before Thursday.... Yes, the Fortune Cookie Tribble could be eaten by other Tribbles.

But if it was after Thursday's patch it should have been fixed....that would mean the fix did not work.

This discussion has been closed.