test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Babylon 5 25th Anniversary

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,997 Arc User
01/26/2019 Marks the 25th anniversary of Babylon 5. Did you watch it? Do you miss it? Is it time for a reboot?

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I watched it. Not sure I miss it, but I remember it fondly. Sure, they can reboot it, if they want, and if they do it well, I expect to enjoy it. If not, shame on them, because it's not the source materials fault.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    We are still watching it as we frequently get the box set out and keep moving through them slowly. Graphics are dated but the stories are as poignant today as they ever where.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I watched it. Not sure I miss it, but I remember it fondly. Sure, they can reboot it, if they want, and if they do it well, I expect to enjoy it. If not, shame on them, because it's not the source materials fault.

I doubt it would do well since it will be hard to replace G'kar and Garibaldi. Personally, I would rather have them reboot Babylon Crusade due to how abruptly it ended. There is no way that rebooting Babylon 5 would make it anywhere as good as it was. However, doing a remaster of all the CGI in Babylon 5 could work.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... Crusade suffered from another problem. They aired the episodes out of order so the story was rather scatterbrained.

And yea... I'd like to see them do a remaster with the CG. I mean all the maneuvers the Starfury was able to pull back then? Imagine how those battles would look now if they were up to BSG reboot quality CG.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    Ah, you seek meaning. Then listen to the music, not the song.

"It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

wo4y9.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • knightraider6knightraider6 Member Posts: 396 Arc User
    it's on amazon prime-but the quality isn't that good. between bad (well good for the time) cgi, and the network compressing the image...it's watchable but not pretty in some spots
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier." R.A.Heinlein

"he's as dangerous as a ferret with a chainsaw."

patrickngo wrote: »
    eazzie wrote: »
    01/26/2019 Marks the 25th anniversary of Babylon 5. Did you watch it? Do you miss it? Is it time for a reboot?

the major Problem I see with a reboot, is that you can't get that kind of writing past Hollywood Culture anymore. The themes would never survive the Studios.

You mean decent writing?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I own the entire box set of Babylon 5, including films and crusade. Sometimes i get the mood to get a few disks out and play the series.

It will be extremely difficult to bring back the likes of Garibaldi, Allen, G'Kar, Franklin, Sinclaire, Vir and others along the way. So many good actors in their day are longer with us today: Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle, Michael O'Hare, Stephen Furst, Richard Briggs and Jeff Conaway. None of these actors can be replaced for their roles in Babylon 5, it is what made it so good to watch how they get into their roles so well.

JMS has a tough task ahead of him if he ever decided to try rebuild Babylon 5. I don't think he should try rebooting the series, but rather pick up from another point. While Crusade was something of a disaster, it doesn't mean the chances of another spaceship based exploration mission to explore more of the Babylon 5 universe between season 5 and the tin can self-destruct would be a bad thing. It could even pick up on the telepath war with some completely new and original characters would be nice.
    it's on amazon prime-but the quality isn't that good. between bad (well good for the time) cgi, and the network compressing the image...it's watchable but not pretty in some spots

Unfortunately the video and CGI were all done in PAL and 4:3 in order to save on costs at the time of filming, but they had the option of 16:9 and didn't take it. any attempts at converting it ended up with this 16:9 poor quality version.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I would love a B5 reboot as long as they do it properly! Moderns graphics with that setting would be amazing.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I would love a B5 reboot as long as they do it properly! Moderns graphics with that setting would be amazing.

Ahh, but what is proper exactly? from one EP and director to another, that will vary considerably.
    If it is anything like Lethal weapon or the utterly bog standard Macguyver? B5 is in trouble before it starts. At the very least it has to do better than the usual rebooted garbage you see these days.

the right actors are needed as well, they got to be as good or better than the originals and that is a very tough ask to do considering a lot of actors these days act like mercenaries who lack soul for the job. The right type of producers and directors are the ones who will follow the series as close to the original series as possible without adding more garbage to it and making it look and feel worse than it should be.

and then we get into ship designs for CGI and alien designs with masks and the like, do they stay true to their original designs or does someone go around butchering them and calling them perfect for each race?

In this day and age with so many points of view, it is a different style and culture from the previous generation of Sci-Fi space opera series.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I meant more like don't make it "dark and gritty" which is pretty popular now days.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I loved B5 and it is a downright crime the way it has been handled since its run ended.

If I was going to revive the series I think I would prefer a sequel set maybe 25 years later. It would be hard to top the original if it was rebooted, so moving forward with a new storyline is the only way to go.

The original series 5 year run was a period of great change in the galaxy, which leaves things ripe for the next generation to have to deal with the fallout of all of that.
    -There is the fallout of the Earth Civil War, its strained relations with its current and former colonies, the animosity towards alien civilizations for their role in the civil war, and coping with the lost years of the plague. We know that as some point they began pushing revisionist history to paint themselves as victims of alien imperialism.
    -The Minbari saw a giant shift in their own government with the balance of power shifting to favor the worker caste, that is bound to have huge cultural impact with the diminished role of religion and military in their society.
    -The Centauri found themselves as pariahs who were being blackmailed into causing trouble again. The repeated wars, loss of reputation, and the revolving door of ever worse rulers has bound to have some societal effects. Perhaps a French Revolution type story would be feasible.
    -The Narn are rebuilding yet again from Centauri occupation. They are bound to be even more bitter than last time. G'kar and Londo being fated to strangle each other to death probably won't help relations either.
    -There are also the loose ends such as the telepath uprising that were teased.

All in all I think there is plenty of ground to create a new story with deep and rich possibilities.
    Post edited by lordrezeon on
    There's also that mysterious enemy from Legend of the Rangers and another possible incursion by the Thirdspace Aliens.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I follow JMS on Twitter; apparently, he would really love to do a proper reissue of the series, with updated CGI, but the rights belong to the network, not him, and the network would seem to have been run by pitting departments against each other. The series that were operated by the division his show was under will almost certainly never see the light of day again, because that would require an existing senior executive to admit he was wrong. (It's a bit more complex than that, of course, but that's essentially the gist of it.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    With regards to the "future" events in the Season 4 finale, that is left somewhat ambiguous as to whether those events were real (some do happen, but not as portrayed) or Sheridan's musings on the repercussions of his actions long-term.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Reboot not needed... just recast the actors who passed away and keep telling the storyline. Need to see the events around David. See Lenier redeem himself.
    Doing a Babylon 5 sequel by setting it a 100 years in the future like TNG might be the way to do it. Could have some cameos by the original cast, but any Babylon 5 reboot or sequel won't be the same without Garibaldi or the interaction between Londo and G'Kar.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Doing a Babylon 5 sequel by setting it a 100 years in the future like TNG might be the way to do it. Could have some cameos by the original cast, but any Babylon 5 reboot or sequel won't be the same without Garibaldi or the interaction between Londo and G'Kar.

the characters are immortal... it's the actors who die. you may not be able to imagine or accept someone else playing the role but I have no problems with it, as long as they cast well. I think the chemistry and the lines will being the characters to life. the cast of B5 wasnt exactly A listers in HW, but they were capable and talented actors. There are still many of those folks around, who just need a good role to shine.