test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Still looks good to me.

2»

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I'll break from the mold, I HATE the TOS version of the Connie and have always thought it was ugly as sin since I first saw it as a kid in the '90s. The ST: Discovery version is superior in every way imaginable, infact I even like it more than the TMP version. That fan recreation does nothing to change my mind on this.

EDIT: So the language filter now changes the three letter abbreviation for Star Trek Discovery to TRIBBLE? How lame.

chalk it up to the excessive emotional sensitivity and such of a whole generation

Or - crazy thought - how about we not condemn an entire generation of people just because you disagree with a handful of them?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The overreactions of the profanity filter has less to do with the sensitivities of a "generation", or even a demographic, than with the sensitivity of someone's legal team. It's the same reason why commercial products come with warning labels not to do really stupid things (do you really need to be told not to use an electric hair drying while you're still showering?) - because if someone does come along who's that dumb, the company is legally covered. Nobody can sue Cryptic or PWI for having what they consider "naughty" words on the forum if all possible "naughty" words, even such things as a door TRIBBLE or Philip K. TRIBBLE, are censored.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited January 2019
    For the record, the unofficial abbreviation for DSC was added to the filter because Kael got annoyed at people comparing a TV series to venereal disease. Now can we get this thread back on topic please?
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Since I was old enough to think about it, I've always assumed the Enterprise was held together with force fields anyway, so those skinny pylons that kept those dangerous warp coils away from the ship never bothered me. It's not like the nacelles put thrust on the ship anyway, so there was no need for bracing.

The one I've seen on Discovery is a good interpretation, in my opinion. It's based on the TOS(R) Connie rather than the original, but the R stands for retcon revised remastered, and now we have what we have. I'm glad they went with straight pylons rather than the swept ones. Those aren't wings, after all.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    that's because now it looks like a real starship, not like a model made out of plastic and balsa wood...oh wait - the original model WAS made out of plastic and balsa wood!​​

Now now...let's be fair. You can make some damn good looking ships out of plastic and balsa wood. Not the ToS connie mind you...but there are plenty of really good models that were made using those materials.
    To be honest, the problem of the TOS connie isn't the material it was made of but rather that TV-scifi series didn't have such high budgets in the 1960s and as rule of thumb TV series have lower budgets then movies.