test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Suggestion About Balloons

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
While I don't mind see the balloons, let's face it. People do take them to far. This would be alright if they lasted only a few minutes. But they don't, which is where the problem arises. To many polluting the game environment when people take them to far.

Now, one can combat this by turning max physical objects down. But, this also removes environmental pieces as well.

My suggestion here, is a needle gun, peashooter, or something along these lines, with which we can pop said balloons. I would even take like a tank pet that does this.

Could even make this a weapon, like the ones you use in Winter Wonderland. Usable against every day balloons, and as a part of balloon shooting contest for the the Lohlunat, It would mean making a new event for that, but this is just a side thought that came up as I typed this out.

This also creates more fun for the players, because really, who doesn't like popping balloons?
Mm5NeXy.gif
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Edit: Just noticed that what I was suggesting was already mentioned by the OP.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Anti-balloon weapons sounds good to me.

Perhaps the balloon horn balloons could be invulnerable for N seconds (20? 60?) so that griefers can't pop them before you can play with them.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    LOL!!! I like this! I wanna pop balloons!!

Though, I am not seeing very many balloons...is this a Starfleet problem?
    trennan wrote: »
    My suggestion here, is a needle gun, peashooter, or something along these lines, with which we can pop said balloons. I would even take like a tank pet that does this.
    <snip>
    This also creates more fun for the players, because really, who doesn't like popping balloons?

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I have a better idea. Allow those who decide to use the balloon guns, to get a debuff where others can use the Bio-toxin Injection and other similar kit modules on that person. Chalk it up to "testing for science," to see if that balloon maker swells up
    just like his/her balloons.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Though, I am not seeing very many balloons...is this a Starfleet problem?

Yes.....because Klingons don't know how to have fun with balloons. :p

SulMatuul.png
  • viridian74#1359 viridian74 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    It's a "3 balloon sarcophagus ships together make access to the Exchange on DS9 difficult" - problem ;) You can kick/push them out of the way, but popping them would be even better :)
    I don't know if it's just Starfleet who blow too many balloons - it seems to be a Drozana and DS9 thing, those are open zones.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Non combat hedgehog pet!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I don't know if it's possible to make balloons destructable. Not that I'd care. Balloons are clientside so anti-balloon trolls could only spoil the fun on their own screens. :p

I do miss the third anniversary with (old) ESD filled to the ceiling with giant balloons. This year's balloon blower is broken. Most of the time it doesn't do anything at all, one balloon ship comes out maybe half the activations, and half of those pop in 2 seconds. And people still whine about them...sad.

Fix the balloons so they actually come out, make them bigger and last forever. And let us use them from inventory without equipping them, like other noncombat devices. For great justice.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    This year's balloon blower is broken. Most of the time it doesn't do anything at all, one balloon ship comes out maybe half the activations, and half of those pop in 2 seconds. And people still whine about them...sad.

Odd, mine has worked 100% of the time and the balloons last for minutes.

Q likes me better :)
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Yikes...AGAIN this thread. Look how far we have come to NERF all kinds of FUN!!!

All other party guns have been nerfed to OBLIVION and actually is laughable what they have become these days...really balloons size are like 1/100 of size of what they used to be originally in 1st/2nd anniversary. Do you want them to be 1/10000000000000th of its current size?

Nerfed party balls, party guns, PvP, DPS...and now balloons. Yikes real party pooper.

party-pooper-memes-2.jpg​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    heh, you know balloons are debris objects and that you can set that to 0 if you want. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    spam effects like this is nothing but eye garbage... should have an option to turn em off.

should have option to turn off Effects from other players... unless your doing PVP do you really need to see/hear what other folks are doing? TeamSpeak and call out if your gonna pop an Ability in Group.
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    I have a better idea. Allow those who decide to use the balloon guns, to get a debuff where others can use the Bio-toxin Injection and other similar kit modules on that person. Chalk it up to "testing for science," to see if that balloon maker swells up
    just like his/her balloons.

Oh, I don't have to crash my BoP around your Bridge....I just bring my Party Poppers to annoy you. :)

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Yikes...AGAIN this thread. Look how far we have come to NERF all kinds of FUN!!!

All other party guns have been nerfed to OBLIVION and actually is laughable what they have become these days...really balloons size are like 1/100 of size of what they used to be originally in 1st/2nd anniversary. Do you want them to be 1/10000000000000th of its current size?

Nerfed party balls, party guns, PvP, DPS...and now balloons. Yikes real party pooper.

party-pooper-memes-2.jpg​​

How is my suggestion being a party pooper?

I think you're missing the point. While I did mention how one can combat the spam of them. I also mentioned how one could get enjoyment from popping them. I also included a carnival style event to go with it.

I mean they could even add a water balloon type deal, much like the snow ball from the winter event.

So overall, this makes balloons more enjoyable for all. Instead of just being the environmental pollutant that they currently are.

I'm actually trying to make it more fun for all. So, again, I ask you, where am I being a party pooper?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Personally, I want Balloon ships as our anniversary ship and Snowconian and Snow Borg Icecubes for our winter ships. Q is beyond our understanding so why should he give us ships that obey the laws of physics?
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I like the idea of needle gun. I shall take away alllll of the balloonies' fun!
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    Agreed... I was in the bank room on DS9 and it was FILED floor to ceiling with balloons, more outside in the halls. I dont know why Cryptic keeps giving the trolls more and more weapons...
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Agreed... I was in the bank room on DS9 and it was FILED floor to ceiling with balloons, more outside in the halls. I dont know why Cryptic keeps giving the trolls more and more weapons...
    Why are you calling it trolling? It doesn't prevent you from doing anything.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It's undignified behavior for a Starfleet Admiral. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited January 2019
    Meantime, filled the Fire Fountain next to the Judge on First City with balloons. It was great, the Gorn NPCs walking around were knocking them all over the place for me, too. LOL! I wonder how far they got?

tigeraries wrote: »
    spam effects like this is nothing but eye garbage... should have an option to turn em off.
    There is.
    valoreah wrote: »
    I've seen DS9 near completely filled up with them. No one could see that poor, demented soul who stands there 24/7 with his whiney "I want to play Changelings!" toon.

I wonder how many people it would take working together to totally fill ESD with balloons?

ESD has a very high ceiling. I was in Quark's this morning and someone was working to fill it with balloons.

• qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Options > Graphics > Max Physics Debris Objects - set to zero. Never have to see this visual trash again.
    edited January 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    I've seen DS9 near completely filled up with them. No one could see that poor, demented soul who stands there 24/7 with his whiney "I want to play Changelings!" toon.

I wonder how many people it would take working together to totally fill ESD with balloons?
    You can't fill new!ESD with balloons, because the maximum limit for Physics Debris Objects is 300 and the main room is too large.

However, during the 3rd anniversary, people could and did fill old!ESD with balloons while the giant balloons glitch was on. Then Cryptic spoiled our fun by "fixing" it. :disappointed:
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Balloons!!

What are they good for!!

Absolutely nothing!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.