test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subsurface scattering

commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
By the developer's own admission, the subsurface scattering he implemented was a "fake", using a reverse fresnel and not true subsurface scattering. It seems he used a red hue for this, because it has changed the way every character in the game looks.

It looks fine on white people, and probably light-skinned Asian people, but it has adversely affected the way almost all of my characters look. I have Andorians, another blue species, Romulans, and several humans that are of African, Hispanic, Arabic, and South-Asian decent. All of their skin was messed with.

The blue people now look sort of purple, the Romulans are now rosy, and every single one of my non-white humans (which is.. all of them? I think?) had to be adjusted a shade darker to compensate (and they still don't really look like how I feel they should anymore).

It feels like the developer didn't really test this on darker skinned characters, or on alien skin tones... [ unnecessary remarks at the devs redacted -- WingedHussar ]

I feel like this change should be reverted. I also feel like if they want to introduce subsurface scattering, they need to allow us to choose the shade of subsurface scatter in the character editor, which would better reflect the color of the blood beneath the character's skin, including the ability to disable it.

What do you guys think?
♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Subsurface scattering 21 votes

Leave it
23%
gaevsmanltminnsmainahungeringcasualsto 5 votes
Revert it and leave it gone
33%
frtoasterbejaymacwarmaker001bpwstolemynameichaerus1majorcharvenakdisqord#9557 7 votes
Redo it with the ability to choose the hue with option to disable it
14%
commanderkassypeterconnorfirstdexi#7265 3 votes
Implement actual subsurface scattering technology, and not a faked version
28%
coldnapalmsistericnixbooxstarswordcjamieblanchardwingedhussar#7584 6 votes

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't know enough about it to tell them which way to go. But hope they decide, soon.

Because when I go through all my characters to fix it this time.....I don't want to fiddle with it because they decided to remove it or adjust it, again, later. Don't forget to check ALTERNATE Costumes.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    OK...just read another thread, it seems someone saw the Devs say on Twitter they are reverting it back? Or something.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I am voting to revert and leave it gone for two reasons.

1) I don't want to take the time to edit all my bridge officers to look good in the new system.

2) Surface scattering is not a feature that is important to me. If cryptic have artists with some time free , I would rather they spent that time working on environments and equipment. Maybe do something to replace all the god awful flickery holo assets in the game. that would be nice.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Response to moderated comments redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Leave it
    I haven't seen any problems with my Characters so far so I don't really care one way or the other.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    By the developer's own admission, the subsurface scattering he implemented was a "fake", using a reverse fresnel and not true subsurface scattering. It seems he used a red hue for this, because it has changed the way every character in the game looks.

I wonder if this reddish hue is the reason for the change to the lighting in the contact window. Are they trying to counteract the red tint of the skin with blue-tinted lighting?

Holodeck ticket 4,809,832: NPCs appear too bright in contact window after the patch on January 10, 2019
    It looks fine on white people, and probably light-skinned Asian people, but it has adversely affected the way almost all of my characters look. I have Andorians, another blue species, Romulans, and several humans that are of African, Hispanic, Arabic, and South-Asian decent. All of their skin was messed with.

The blue people now look sort of purple, the Romulans are now rosy, and every single one of my non-white humans (which is.. all of them? I think?) had to be adjusted a shade darker to compensate (and they still don't really look like how I feel they should anymore).

Andorians may look purple, gray, or even rosy-cheeked now, depending on the skin color chosen. I'm not sure, but it may also depend on the selected complexion and head type. Zarva, the Bolian boff from the Fed tutorial, now looks a bit odd. I'll have to look at her more carefully to determine what's changed.

Also, the seams on the neck are visible again; they're visible in the "Status" tab and the contact window, but not in the tailor.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • dexi#7265 dexi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My Orion captain now has a discolored neck with visible seams when wearing any of the "bare chest" (typical Orion wear) uniform pieces, but her neck (including part of it that's visibly discolored previously, up to the then-visible seam between head and neck) looks fine when she wears something more covering. It looks like whatever changes were made were either not applied or were botched in the fully-exposed neck mesh, but not in the partially-visible one.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I was somewhat excited (and very concerned) when I saw the announcement for the new shaders.

I go in game and immediately I see every non-human skin color a vague shade of pink and every hair color just looks black with botched highlights. They broke the shininess slider and made so many textures that weren't even related to hair or skin into a matte mess. The only saving grace is that they neglected Caitians, so they actually got left unscathed.

I appreciate the attempt to make things look better, but this was not the way to do it.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    It's pretty obvious to me that the new shaders don't work as well as they thought, there is no Specular shine on any of my toons, even the 7of9 outfit has lost it's shine and looks flat and 2D now, and the hair now looks even more low res than before.

A red tint from a fake SSS only works for "pink skins", so if they are using this shader for every toon then someone at Cryptic needs fired for being a moron.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Leave it
    Edited - Unless this can be fixed with minimal risk, I think we can live with this for a short period of time.
    Post edited by casualsto on
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I was somewhat excited (and very concerned) when I saw the announcement for the new shaders.

I go in game and immediately I see every non-human skin color a vague shade of pink and every hair color just looks black with botched highlights. They broke the shininess slider and made so many textures that weren't even related to hair or skin into a matte mess. The only saving grace is that they neglected Caitians, so they actually got left unscathed.

I appreciate the attempt to make things look better, but this was not the way to do it.

I noticed these problems too, I feel like they didn't test on anyone who wasn't a relatively pale human.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The game looks worse now. Take away the changes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    heh, I noticed it seems to have added a bit of blush to well... everyone. Green skinned characters look a bit brown now, and white is pinkish.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Well, is there any word on what was on Twitter????? Are they going to revert???
    Or should I start working on the hours and hours of costume redesigns, now?

Not only is hair and skin colors off...but subtle differences in tones and colors on uniforms.
    I no longer see any of the aging that I selected for my characters or BOFFs.

And I don't have a fancy computer graphics card...so not sure what all of you with nicer computer set ups are seeing.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    heh, I noticed it seems to have added a bit of blush to well... everyone. Green skinned characters look a bit brown now, and white is pinkish.
    White was always pinkish (one of the challenges in trying to make a pure white-skinned character like aenar). Basically, pure white was a very pale human skin color. It is more pinkish now, though, like pure white is now a normal light-skinned human. And characters that already had a bit of blush to them before, look kinda sunburnt now.

Personally I think pure white should be pure white.
    Ugh...doing "Para Pacem" now... and looking at Somat in the contact window.
    Now, I see the ruddy tone. Weird greenish cast background translating there as odd blotches on his face.

warpangel wrote: »
    White was always pinkish (one of the challenges in trying to make a pure white-skinned character like aenar). Basically, pure white was a very pale human skin color. It is more pinkish now, though, like pure white is now a normal light-skinned human. And characters that already had a bit of blush to them before, look kinda sunburnt now.

Personally I think pure white should be pure white.

Yep, blue characters are purple, green characters are rosy, and dark-skinned humans and aliens have all had their skin lightened and they look too red now.
    I'm pretty sure they're going to fix this, they just haven't decided whether to revert or try to make it better.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I'm pretty sure they're going to fix this, they just haven't decided whether to revert or try to make it better.

Where is that???

where2r1 wrote: »
    Where is that???
    That picture came from Nukara, but I'm pretty sure every map with those domes looks like that now. I also saw it at Defera.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Where is that???

It's on Nukara. It has almost nothing to do with this thread but he likes throwing around his social media on like every thread whether it's relevant or not.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I echo the sentiments of some. My toons look slightly ridiculous and I have too many bridge officers that I don't want to have to waste time to adjust. Just leave it off.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    Where is that???
    It's on Nukara. It has almost nothing to do with this thread but he likes throwing around his social media on like every thread whether it's relevant or not.
    About that. This is a bug that appeared at the same time the change to hair was made. Said change to hair also made uniforms less shiny. This tent asset also has a shiny surface and changed to be a different color. Related? not sure, but it could be.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    More changes snuck in, without really doing quality control, most likely with no time window for feedback. I don't like coloration/textural changes forced upon my toons, especially when my alien characters go from being obsidian black(as intended), to more of a metallic grey or dark gunmetal color. I don't like when armor that was originally glossy/reflective(for years) is now matte and looking like clothing.
This discussion has been closed.