What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should STO have vulgar language in it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I find it hard to actually answer the poll, to be honest.
    "Should" seems to imply that we absolutely need some vulgar language in it, which would obviously warrant a "no" from me. Cramming vulgar words into the game "just because" would seem stupid. And it's not like current storyline dialogue (you certainly weren't asking about ESD zone, right?) is in dire need for more "colorful expressions".

However, most arguments so far have more approached the subject as "could we have some kind of harsher language"... in that case, if it fits the situation, why the hell not. Couple of swearwords here and there have never hurt anyone.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You literally kill people in the game and you're worried about words? Some people's sense of morality is all over the place.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yes
    artan42 wrote: »
    You literally kill people in the game and you're worried about words? Some people's sense of morality is all over the place.​​

I was thinking the exact same thing.

The game is basically 'mass murder online' but someone says a curse word and we need a protest thread. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Yes
    artan42 wrote: »

'mass murder online'

It's Gene Roddenberrys vision you know. :#
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Yes
    I mostly avoid vulgarity of speech, not because of principle, but to retain its value. Four letter words are like exclamation marks. They lose their meaning when over used.

"Swear words' are a myth. There is no such thing. With context and emphasis even the most humdrum and everyday words can be used to swear, while those which are usually considered to be vulgar can, with context and sincerity be friendly.

Just because people speak the same language, doesn't mean that they speak the same 'language'. The same words can be used kindly and offensively by different people and subcultures.

New life and new civilizations, have repeatedly been used by the shows to reflect upon our own lives and our own civilization. Language should not be exempt from that examination.

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Yes
    I'm fine with it.

See it in zone chat all the time.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Yes
    I have no problem with "colourful metaphors" being used by story characters as the story progresses. I had no problem with Kirk saying "Double dumbass on you!" while looking for whales circa 1986, so I see no reason why I should now.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Used the way it was... it fit perfectly with the scenario.
    Also I lol'd when Tilly pointed her phaser at the offender and said "language".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Well Discovery was the first startrek to have the f word said onscreen from what I understand. The A word isn't considered as bad as the four letter word starting with f and ending with k. Plus given the other words that have been said on the series might even be worse then A.H Word. Any word could be a swear word if made into the right context.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Yes
    It wasn't even of the Seven bad ones

and the title of the Thread implies a really really bad word was said....not to mention I've seen way worse in chat

So it's okay to kill people in game don't say bad words...not even one of the meh words...it's okay to show people getting stabbed with implied blood but don't say anything bad to little Nerys.... also this well we are in the TNG time lol Ummm as soon as Data got a personality he broke that...which just shows me Humans in the future have less personality then an Android
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Rated "T" for Teen. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.