test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request for Playable TOS Klingon D5 in Game

13»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    you're still not getting it; 'Style' doesn't change functional requirements.

The ships in the eaglemoss collection don't function the same. They physically can't unless the structure of warp nacelles is a matter of personal taste,
    Actually, yes, it pretty much is. TNG established that the reason Starfleet ships have that specific warp configuration is because teams of engineers have spent decades optimizing warp field geometry. Which basically means that Starfleet ship designers spend a lot of time copy/pasting work from older designs. If you're willing to accept that your warp drive is less efficient, you could cut the nacelles off a galaxy class and replace them with nacelles salvaged from a D'Deridex. Why? because they actually DO use the same engineering principles. Heck, even Ferengi ships use the same warp engine principles, and they don't even have nacelles.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    BTW... the Sarco does have some elements that are "in line" with the design philosophy we see everywhere else. Long neck and a torpedo launcher with the deflector.

I left that one off this time but yes it does.
    Now here's a thought...
    Take the main body of a Sech, attach a Sarco neck and head, add nacelles...
    Stylized D7?

Not really. The wing assembly is too stylised and would look more Romulan. I really don't know where they were going with the Sech, it looks Dominion.
    Joking asside... I think we're getting a little heated over the design philosophy of the Klingons a bit.
    So what if the Klingons went through a period of stylized, overly complicated designs?

I wouldn't say it's a period because the Sarcophagus is supposed to predate the ENT ships so it's not like the DS9 era for Starfleet where all those ships deviated somway from the norm I think it's supposed to be an attempt to show that not all houses build the same style of ship (but to show that some do like the Qoj)
    Its getting to the point of saying that because reasons all Federation ships must, without fail, be in some variation of the Constitution configuration of saucer, secondary hull, and nacelles. Guess what? There's quite a few that violate that. And are ALLOWED to violate that. Are all Romulan ships supposed to look like a T'Varo or D'Deridex because that's what we've seen?

Exactly. Except there's also the attempt to flat out ignore all ENT/TNG/DS9 Klingon ships that do deviate and ignore all the DSC ships that do not deviate in a form of artificial selection bias.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Warfare tends to peel away the ornate intricacies (because winning is better than losing) and decadent decoration (because winning is better than losing).
    Ah, but the Klingons haven't HAD actual warfare in awhile. They've had house to house clan fights, which are not quite the same as true warfare. Such struggles tend to be more ritualized and less aimed at utter destruction. They're not up against enemies that are trying to end them as a species, they're just bickering with each other in honor fights.

When we see this kind of thing on Earth, where warfare is primarily conducted as a kind of sport between noble houses, equipment actually DOES get kind of ornate and dysfunctional, since maximizing lethality isn't the point.
    Yeah the late medieval period in Europe saw the creation of class of armor called Gothic Plate which, while functional armor, was fantastically expensive compared to older designs. Why? because it wasn't meant to be fielded in large numbers. It was the result of people making armor better... and more intimidating, and sometimes decorating it with jewels because why not?

the thing with ritualized warfare is no that the weapons are Dysfunctional, but that they're designed to look scary first, and maybe function well as an afterthought.

That said, several of the BotBS Klingon designs DON'T have the single stupidest design feature that most Klingon designs have... that being a detachable head. Seriously, the K't'inga neck is like a giant red flag saying "shoot me here".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    That said, several of the BotBS Klingon designs DON'T have the single stupidest design feature that most Klingon designs have... that being a detachable head. Seriously, the K't'inga neck is like a giant red flag saying "shoot me here".

To be fair... same could be said of the neck and pylons on the Connie. Something we actually saw in Star Trek Beyond.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    Are we still requesting the D5 class in this thread? Because, Imho, both the ENT variants and TOS version would be neat. Especially if we get to print them out.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I want the ENT D5 in-game and playable. I would also like to see the AoY D5 as a playable ship, though either a name change or expansion, to both clarify its role (how it was used in Klingon fleets) and to show how it differs conceptually from the ENT D5.
    woerligen wrote: »
    Are we still requesting the D5 class in this thread? Because, Imho, both the ENT variants and TOS version would be neat. Especially if we get to print them out.

YES! Exactly!

+++

Debates over what does/doesn't constitute Klingon Design belong in a different thread; namely one with Klingon Design as the topic.
    Arguments about Discovery/DSC should be a separate thread, and don't belong here.
    Debates over Math, Engineering, et cetera, likewise should be a separate thread.
    Thank You.
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jwhiteard1979jwhiteard1979 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Well I got alot of Comments on my post...Thanks for all who liked my idea. Yes, I want the D5 to be a fully playable ship. Yes it is Classified as a Raptor.... The D5 & D6 and also in the new Battle of Axanar Movie....
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Question...

WHO'S MATH?

Not every species uses the same system as humans.

In Wing Commander, the Kilrathi use Base 8. That is different from what humans use.

Also note that all the ships used as a comparision against the Discovery designs are actually simpler than the Discovery designs. Perhaps a more plausible solution is that after the Fed-Klingon War, L'Rell discovered that their current designs were not as easy to maintain in a prolonged engagement with a superpower that has a stronger economy like the Federation. Kinda like how in WW2 German tanks were overengineered and spent even pretty much just as much time in maintenance as they did in the field.

Solution: Simpler designs for easier maintenance. While their Discovery era designs were intimidating... they're also probably a little overengineered. Hence the introduction of the simpler but just as effective D7, which would start driving ship design for the next hundred years at least.

Yep, the Mortox, the creatures from the 1953, and the 1988 tv series sequel, depiction of War of the Worlds, use base 3.....everything centers around three.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Necro indeed. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.