test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Older event ships

13»

Comments

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    as it is now, with phoenix boxes for dilithium is pretty genius!
    they syphon off quite a lot of dilithium from the market, which keeps Zen-Dilithium ratio in balance.
    giving new players a chance to get stuff from before they played is rather generous by the industries standards, and cryptic manages to get a slight profit from it and keep their exchange in balance.
    Go pro or go home
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »
    as it is now, with phoenix boxes for dilithium is pretty genius!
    they syphon off quite a lot of dilithium from the market, which keeps Zen-Dilithium ratio in balance.
    giving new players a chance to get stuff from before they played is rather generous by the industries standards, and cryptic manages to get a slight profit from it and keep their exchange in balance.

The zen to dilithium market is player driven not cryptics. As to being generous by industry standards that may be the case but frankly i don't care what the industry standard is. I try and avoid real life sayings in my post but as the saying goes if everyone walked off a bridge would you? Just do to other games doing something is no reason to say that STO cant have a different way. If anything by not locking items off from the past is only more reason to promote this game to the gaming community at large welcoming new players to the fold and by extension there wallets.

Every key used in this game regardless of how you get it some one has payed for it. Every zen floating around on the exchange is purchased by some one either in lifetime account purchase or direct purchase. Likewise every fleet ship module on the exchange was purchased all driving money in to this game.

A wider player base will only serve the game better and any way we can promote and welcome new players or returning players in to the community is only a benefit.

Even now i log in to the winter wonder land and i see in chat players returning after years away from the game as well as new players wanting answers to basic game play. Why not life altering welcoming there return to the game as well as new players we as a community can promote the inclusion of these players and give them more reasons to stick around rather than people showing them only more of what they have missed and giving them only more reasons not to stick around.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    the zen to dilithium market is player driven, true, but what are the incentives for players to even buy dilithium with zen? If there wasn't anything worthy to buy with dilithium (like phoenix boxes) nobody would get dilithium. So cryptic most definately has a hand in the market... hell even by making events like the one we have right now they DRIVE the market as is clearly evident.

Nothing is locked away from new players anyway in this system! But doing away with exclusivity for playing the game regularely for extend periods of time is probably more damaging to the community.
    I log onto the server at this time of the year for the EXCLUSIVE ship! Having it readily available all year every year for everybody defeats the purpose of this event and the reward.
    But beside that, everybody can get any ship anyway!
    If a person is discouraged by not having a special reward ship, I can't really understand their motivation to play the game in the first place. "I can't have that ship, because I didn't play the game back then, so I quit playing to moan about the next ship I didn't get, because I wasn't playing"...makes sense. If that is a reason to quit, I only have a facepalm for that person.
    The ships aren't a requirement in the first place, and wanting them all, even if you weren't around (which is possible btw!!!!) should mean that you have to put in some extra "effort" (in this case basically money to fund the game).

tl;dr
    exclusive means exclusive, sry. I fully stand behind how cryptic have solved this issue. This is an MMORPG and that means players want this kind of exclusivity to set them appart from others. Doing away exactly that is like cutting off a limb. (too drastic maybe)
    Go pro or go home
    azrael605 wrote: »
    what logic does it make to expect cryptic to hold to a standard that no one else in the world holds to? there is no sense in that at all none not a shred not an Iota not one single bit of sense in there

What logic is it in changing the system. Well let me think a minute.

O yes just how many games have been driven to life support for this gaming standard you seam to hold in hi regard? How many have died and shut there doors? Where has there exclusivity gotten them?

Now some may need to feel better about them self over some digital content held in exclusivity and frankly i pity them. I am sure that like your self several people will be just fine with the standard right up until the door is closed and simply move on to the next game until it suffers the same fate and so on.

And i see in this thread posts regarding this is a mmo and exclusivity is how the game is played and saying that opening these items will just upset the players that were here for them. Why i don't wish any one ill will is holding on to a few players that can't stand there fellow player having a item that has been stated are of no or little use yet wish to hold exclusivity over there fellow players. If such would drive them to leave are they so vital to the community?

Are they the same ones i see in zone telling players not to even answer a noobs questions and stop helping them? Are they the players showing off items in chat telling new players what they need to have and at the same time tell them they can't get it?

Even in the forums you have new players posting questions as to why the game hates new players. And just how many new players are staying silent and simply disappear? There seams like hardly a day goes by before the winter wonderland that i was seeing in chat of fleets dying.

Several even go so far as to call it a business as they put it of taking over dead fleets and as was stated robing them then move on. I inquired how they even robed a fleet as there were locks to prevent that action. And the person said it was simple join several fleets with alts and just hold for them to die and take over.

Even a glance at star trek online today and you can see problems with the game. PVP is mostly if not all the way gone. And i am aware there are still private pvp matches had with some fleets the point is for a new player the q is dead. The competitive Q wont pop. Even in random pve matches seasoned players leave upon starting a ground match. Some simply say in chat i don't do ground then beam out. You have posts in the forum players either don't like random in general or that they cant mini max to do the content like they could directly.

All this is before you even consider the bugs in sto. And yet given a opportunity to entice players to and back not only to the game but to fleets and the ques. And all some can consider is there position of leave the new players out and returning ones in favor of holding on to a superiority complex regarding any change to a few paltry ships and items.

No one is proposing that these items be simply given away only a change in how they are available to players.
    And before any one try's and point out i just want things and no other view counts. As was stated in this thread even the exclusive founder item the RMC ended up in the phoenix box well in my view it was long over due i can glance to my right why typing this and still see my collectors edition box. I have had that RMC from the start i payed for it and it was an exclusive to the collectors edition. I had exclusivity of the RMC as well as others i purchased several different boxes to get the special items. But not one of the items is worth excluding players from and by opening a means to earn them only enhances the whole community.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    what logic does it make to expect cryptic to hold to a standard that no one else in the world holds to? there is no sense in that at all none not a shred not an Iota not one single bit of sense in there
    Plenty of other games do reruns of all events as standard.

Also, arguing that Cryptic should not do reruns just because (some) other games don't do them, is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I do not care how many games rerun events, it most certainly isn't the majority.
    ...in your opinion.

Also, reducing "no one else" to "not the majority" is still Appeal to Tradition. Others having done something before has no direct bearing on whether it's good or not.
    I'm also not saying STO should not do event reruns, we already had Delta Recruit 2. If any of you actually read what I have posted I am saying that what some people are saying is the equivalent of Dan Marino going to the NFL and saying "my record was better than Elway, give me a superbowl ring too".
    Then what is your point in repeating the "other games do this" -line over and over?

And I know nothing about NFL, but your analogy there still sounds like you're trying to justify dissing new players with "others do it too."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kidinthehall#2744 kidinthehall Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    "> @salazarraze said:
    > roguealltrek wrote: »
    >
    > New players as well as old players should have a equal chance at getting special event items past present or future.
    >
    >
    >
    > I support new players getting a second chance at acquiring older event ships but I can't let people keep making this false statement over and over again. Everyone everywhere had the same chance to get any event ship when it was first released. Just because they weren't playing the game at that time by their own choice, that doesn't mean that they didn't have a chance to get a limited time event ship. People really need to stop spreading this false idea that "they didn't have a chance to get X ship" when they most certain did."
    ____

Everyone, everywhere had the chance and chose not to? Come on man. You know very well you can't reasonably say that every new player that joins today could have 8 years ago and chose not to. Not trying to flame but not an intelligent response.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    It's a balancing act. If we had free unlimited access to grind past event ships then there would be no impetus to play the event NOOOOOOOWWWWWW! Which is obviously what they want. Yet, new players should have the ability to access previous event ships... which they do via phoenix packs. Are phoenix packs a huge pain in the neck compared to missing the event? Heck yeah it is. Would I personally like it if they somehow made it easier for noobs to get past event ships? Sure.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for cryptic to give some ground on this one. They can easily do it without messing up the phoenix pack effect on the economy by making ships acquired via phoenix unbound so you can sell them. I mean, what the TRIBBLE else am I going to do with all my epic tokens? Seeing as I unlocked every single event ship via event grinding.

This makes a lot of sense. If some players one more Epic Tokens than they'll ever need, they should be able to sell them to other players who missed out for whatever reason. My copy of the game on my old laptop got fried in 2014, when I did a big patch to prep for the Summer event. It could not be repatched, fixed or removed. And Customer Service was either too busy to take any calls or they had the summer off. I was not able to play until I got a new computer. In 2016.
    So I missed all events from Summer 2014 until early January 2017, and was bare able to start the project for 2017's Plesh Tral Raider. I wish I could've played those events, but the only computer I had that was even capable of the game was wrecked.
    I would love to have a better 'second chance' than the phoenix prize pack. Over two years I must've opened over 1,000 packs, only got 1 or 2 ships.
    Ok so I haven't done as much digging on tests for phoenix pack odds admittedly. I do think it wouldn't be wildly unreasonable to hope that epic/ur tokens would drop at least as often as a lock box ship does. Or in other words drop 1/200 to 1/250. My own testing is not scientific but I've opened a few thousand packs and I got 4 of each epic and ur which roughly assumes a 1/1000 drop rate for each.

Yes, everything I've read from people opening mass numbers of Phoenix packs points to much lower odds than for lock box ships -- instead of 1/250 somewhere between 1/500 and 1/1,000

If they're going to keep the pack ships as single-character unlocks then lowering that to something closer to lock box odds would be a kindness for new players. (It doesn't affect me directly, I have all the event ships except for the 2? T5 ships before the Breen ones.)

Improving the odds a bit for the Ultra Rare & Epic tokens would help.

2020 will be STO's 10th anniversary. Why not, for the 10th anniversary year, have the events make projects for all the past years' events available again for being slotted & completed? So alts can slot different projects, and players can earn the Account Unlocks for the ships they missed?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    It's a balancing act. If we had free unlimited access to grind past event ships then there would be no impetus to play the event NOOOOOOOWWWWWW! Which is obviously what they want. Yet, new players should have the ability to access previous event ships... which they do via phoenix packs. Are phoenix packs a huge pain in the neck compared to missing the event? Heck yeah it is. Would I personally like it if they somehow made it easier for noobs to get past event ships? Sure.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for cryptic to give some ground on this one. They can easily do it without messing up the phoenix pack effect on the economy by making ships acquired via phoenix unbound so you can sell them. I mean, what the TRIBBLE else am I going to do with all my epic tokens? Seeing as I unlocked every single event ship via event grinding.

This makes a lot of sense. If some players one more Epic Tokens than they'll ever need, they should be able to sell them to other players who missed out for whatever reason. My copy of the game on my old laptop got fried in 2014, when I did a big patch to prep for the Summer event. It could not be repatched, fixed or removed. And Customer Service was either too busy to take any calls or they had the summer off. I was not able to play until I got a new computer. In 2016.
    So I missed all events from Summer 2014 until early January 2017, and was bare able to start the project for 2017's Plesh Tral Raider. I wish I could've played those events, but the only computer I had that was even capable of the game was wrecked.
    I would love to have a better 'second chance' than the phoenix prize pack. Over two years I must've opened over 1,000 packs, only got 1 or 2 ships.
    Ok so I haven't done as much digging on tests for phoenix pack odds admittedly. I do think it wouldn't be wildly unreasonable to hope that epic/ur tokens would drop at least as often as a lock box ship does. Or in other words drop 1/200 to 1/250. My own testing is not scientific but I've opened a few thousand packs and I got 4 of each epic and ur which roughly assumes a 1/1000 drop rate for each.

Yes, everything I've read from people opening mass numbers of Phoenix packs points to much lower odds than for lock box ships -- instead of 1/250 somewhere between 1/500 and 1/1,000

If they're going to keep the pack ships as single-character unlocks then lowering that to something closer to lock box odds would be a kindness for new players. (It doesn't affect me directly, I have all the event ships except for the 2? T5 ships before the Breen ones.)

Improving the odds a bit for the Ultra Rare & Epic tokens would help.

2020 will be STO's 10th anniversary. Why not, for the 10th anniversary year, have the events make projects for all the past years' events available again for being slotted & completed? So alts can slot different projects, and players can earn the Account Unlocks for the ships they missed?

Even this ideal has better odds for new players to get these ships. But over all we need to remember the items as well the cane the orb even as simple as the bridge officers that were part of feature episodes. All of these items were free to players i see no reason why we cant welcome players back and new by making available these ships and items.

And for the players needing exclusivity lets not forget there is lobi items and lock box specialty items kits, modules, traits, and ships all left as is. No one here is advocating for those items to become available in any other way, and if anything those items do place players apart in abilities all that is being asked is an inclusion of players for event items by a reasonable method of obtaining them.

Be that by this ideal, upgrade tokens, replace in the event rep to be slotted as was before, or even a scheduled rerun for events that at least is guaranteed to happen on a once a year basis. Or any combination of the above.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Given that these Featured Episode Reruns no longer provide daily Account Lobi it's about time those Unique Items from Featured Episodes be put back into the Episodes normally. I'm talking about the Breen and Reman Boffs, the Ophidian Cane, and the Shard of Possibilities. Since they are Unique, a Character can only have one anyway. Enough with this bullsh*t already.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Given that these Featured Episode Reruns no longer provide daily Account Lobi it's about time those Unique Items from Featured Episodes be put back into the Episodes normally. I'm talking abiut the Breen and Reman Boffs, the Ophidian Cane, and the Shard of Possibilities. Since they are Unique a Character can only have one anyway. Enough with this bullsh*t already.

Are all those missions still showing up in the mission listings??? I am not sure any more.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    Given that these Featured Episode Reruns no longer provide daily Account Lobi it's about time those Unique Items from Featured Episodes be put back into the Episodes normally. I'm talking abiut the Breen and Reman Boffs, the Ophidian Cane, and the Shard of Possibilities. Since they are Unique a Character can only have one anyway. Enough with this bullsh*t already.

Are all those missions still showing up in the mission listings??? I am not sure any more.

They are in the available tab if you are level 65 now and there is some issues with some not having access to them even then. But they are still in game some need the mission share feature to gain access to them it appears dependent on a case by case basis.
  • charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User

Yep, can only say this is pretty much how it is, took me about 1.500-2000 phoenix boxes in total to get one epic token - and everyone i know about the same, which i'm now saving to get the 2017 winter ship for it's trait alone, missed due to being sick at the time, instead of enjoying the nandi on one of my characters. Because i know the chance of getting another one without wanting to boost several new characters to XV Epic gear (therefore having a reason to invest dil) is pretty much null, while the overall lockbox chance with the 1/250 is a much better deal to a) make EC, b) farm lobi and c) maybe get lucky once or twice to make back lost/invested ec for lobi.

Especially since Phoenix ships are CHARACTER bound, and not account unlocks, they really should raise those drop rates to give you about the same chance. The only players who are getting punished by the lower drop chance in the phoenix packs are new players without a substantial ec/dil stash, as someone who can go ahead and get a billion ec and a few million Dil in a matter maybe 1-2 months. Those drop rates just mean i'd simply invest more on the basis of how many upgrade kits i want to store for future recruits. Access to lots of EC also gives you EASY access to lots of dil via admirality and other means for multiple character, this pretty much elminates the whole "drop rate is lower because its dil vs ec (master keys)." For everyone that has been playing this game for years, while new people will just be ran over and should, if wanting to even start getting into making characters and other stuff focus on EC to get the equipment for new characters which will eventually lead to more access to dil.

Yes Phoenix boxes, in the long run, are there to SAVE dil, but for those who want those ships they missed (keep in mind, not account unlocks via phoenix) are just getting punished. Especially since some of those traits are considered BiS. Point being, if you did miss something, you will always have that gap between you and the stuff you want while playing economical, gets you more to build up, but you're still missing out on the stuff you might actually want.

Lastly: Lobi -> winter vouchers, don't. ever. even. try! The amount of lobi (and therefore EC) you're going to waste there is so enormous, you're better off throwing out all your dil for phoenix packs if you're that desperate. Dilithium, doesn't even compare to the value of lobi when it comes to the current market, especially with phoenix upgrades in the mix.

• zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    How about during the event in question (i.e. anniversary event coming up) you can BUY an event slot for a previous ANNIVERSARY event (say you missed the Kumari Cruiser) for something like 3000 zen? Or even an obvious money grab, like sell past event ships for 10k Zen?
This discussion has been closed.