test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Fill All" - not quite there

2»

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    And the day will come when the OP wonders why all his EC or Dil is disappearing and realizes he had been pushing a “fill all” button but not necessarily meaning it...

lol
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    If you think "not being an idiot" can be your saving grace here, you'll be in for a huge surprise one day. Everybody, no matter how genius and meticulous, will misclick one day, maybe not in STO but elsewhere, and/or make similar mistakes not involving the use of a mouse. The only question is, whether a "Are you sure?" box will stop it, since they tend to become an auto-yes very quickly. (A friend of mine once had to cope with a program at work which combined this with an unexpected twist: "Do you really want to print?", "Did you put paper in the printer?", "Is the printer turned on?", "Is the printer connected to the PC?", "Is there enough ink in the printer?", "Do you want to abandon without saving?")
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Well. a claim all button would not be bad, or at least, that the tabs that have something to claim get marked, or something, i have to seek every reputation tab to see which one is ready, and on 24 chars… well… is a little tedious, but the fill all button makes my life a better life!

That's why I always try to group it as much as possible? New toon getting reps? Not gonna start until I can start them all. If other toons are close by, wait for them to put it all in one go where everybody clicks everything. Same with a new rep: after the initial sponsor is finished, all others will go for it at once. I once had the game crash irretrievably on me half way through, so the very next day I meticulously only did the other half to get back into the rhythm.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I was hoping for a fill all reps button that actually filled all reps.

you were never gonna get that. it was always fill all for the 1 rep project you have slotted in that rep.

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    It is still miles better than what we had before. I am more surprised that they actually gave us the "fill all button" in the first place.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It is still miles better than what we had before. I am more surprised that they actually gave us the "fill all button" in the first place.

Fill all was on the test server. Yes it is miles better... could do with an option to skip the Control w/ Fill All
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    a
    tigeraries wrote: »
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Fill all was on the test server. Yes it is miles better... could do with an option to skip the Control w/ Fill All
    Finish your coffee. Rest your empty mug on the corner of the keyboard so it holds down the control button for you. There you have it, one handed rep filling. ;)
    A miss click is hardly the end of the world is it! And in any case that is not the issue here. I was hoping for a fill all reps button that actually filled all reps. Sadly it doesn't, it's an improvement of course, and that's why I titled this thread as "not quite there", because it isn't, in my opinion, quite there.

As I often recall my teachers writing on my report when I was a kid, "could do better", a phrase that often describes the majority of this game with it's bug ridden patches and broken foundry, not to mention long term issues that are just swept under the carpet. They try, and they work hard I'm sure, but they never quite deliver the full Monty do they. Still, I love it, I massively overspend on this game, I am heavily invested in it by way of time as well as money, I will never give it up and will continue to support it, but I will not shirk my responsibilities to point out deficiencies where I see them.

Ah, I think we might have a cultural misunderstanding here. Working as a teacher myself I can say that any comment along the lines "could do better" over here, if not immediately modified by some qualifier, would be an F. An F+ at best. You don't say "you're an utter and abject failure" to kids, so you use terms along these lines. Similar with "not quite there". This, to me, reads as "not even useful as a first step, laughably incompetent effort".
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Complainers gonna complain

It seems weird that a moderator is jumping on a thread just to troll, rather than adding to the conversation, yeah?

As for me, i like that they've added the button to lessen the amount of clicks. Luckily, i don't need it since all of my characters are through the rep system though. Sure, it's not as many clicks as some of us would like though. I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of the OP, where you queue the missions and it just fills all. It makes more sense with the rep system having so many reps and only more to come. When you're running multiple characters through that grind, at the same time, it makes all the more sense.

It is good to hear about the Ctrl button, though. The pop-ups in this game can be a bit much at times. Again, more so, when it's on every aspect of what you're doing on multiple characters.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The Ctrl functionality is PC specific which means whoever worked on the system hasn't given any real consideration to the console version.

Presumably the same person that thought wheel based ability selection was going to work well when some can have 20 or more entries while others sit a max of 4. Or the half done autofiring of abilities that either don't have the option or keep triggering because its done off red alert status which in itself is badly executed.

Slightly more off topic. I remember one term at school the swimming teacher gave pretty much my entire year group the same "could do better" response which got them in a bit of bother since the school had been having issues with the pools chlorination plant and we'd not actually done any swimming because of those problems.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    It is an improvement. Esp for new players coming into the game. Us old timers got to grind through all the reps one at a time as they came out, and we might have done it all at once for a new alt a couple of times? But for a new player facing ALL these reputations, or if we ARE creating an alt that we want to rep up, this helps a LOT for time and functionality. Is it perfect? No. But is it better than what we had for years? And we didn't have to pay for it. Sooooo...kudos. Good job. Thank you devs
    edited January 2019
    this helps a LOT for time and functionality. Is it perfect? No. But is it better than what we had for years? And we didn't have to pay for it. Sooooo...kudos. Good job. Thank you devs

+1
    I don't take the opinion of Epohh's seriously, sorry ;)

Just in case you misunderstood my post and weren't just saying "have to agree to disagree": I wasn't trying to make fun of you or similar, it is what I understood for the stated reasons. (A translation of) the phrasing you used would have the stated consequences over here.
    A general fill all would logically start at the top of the list and work down. Any unfilled tasks could be highlighted by a change in colour for that reps name in the list. Similarly completed tasks could have their tag flashing/pulsing.

I can see why they might have felt the need for a stopgap to prevent dil and elite tokens being dropped onto unwanted projects but they could have done it purely for the daily & hourly tasks which is where the requests for such a feature stemmed from.

Honestly if someone can't understand that fill all means fill all then maybe they need that learning experience of losing a few tokens.

I'll agree with your first statement. However, I see potential issues with future complaints about stuff not defined or changing:

1) "Top to bottom" would right now mean Gamma before, say, Delta. But if we get a new reputation, that changes, which may confuse people just in the middle of levelling up. (Also, internal program logic most certainly has a different order than the displayed one, but that should easily be resolved, after all, we already have the displayed order)

2) What should happen if I cannot fill some rep with the rest of the assigned reps? Stop them altogether? Fill them in as much as possible? Should the one I cannot fill with, say, ec already be filled with marks and expertise?

3) What about projects, say somebody wants a warp drive from a rep asap? Should they also be filled in? Take precedence or play second fiddle? Only within their rep or across the board?

Your answer "we're talking about dailies here, that's what people had issues with in the first place" is of course correct, but I'll guarantee misunderstandings and forum complaints no matter how it's done. And while the currencies in question are indeed not that important (marks are mostly used for levelling up anyway, ec amounts are problematic for a first time player but shouldn't be, and I wouldn't know what you'd have to do to run short on expertise), as soon as we mix in other projects, dill and elite marks may come into play, and seeing how some players wouldn't have the patience after a misclick to wait for a day or three to refine the additional dil for a different purpose ...

Not trying to say your reasoning is wrong, I am just predicting people to disagree with it if implemented and new forum wars. After all, complainers gonna complain.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I'll agree with your first statement. However, I see potential issues with future complaints about stuff not defined or changing:

1) "Top to bottom" would right now mean Gamma before, say, Delta. But if we get a new reputation, that changes, which may confuse people just in the middle of levelling up. (Also, internal program logic most certainly has a different order than the displayed one, but that should easily be resolved, after all, we already have the displayed order)

2) What should happen if I cannot fill some rep with the rest of the assigned reps? Stop them altogether? Fill them in as much as possible? Should the one I cannot fill with, say, ec already be filled with marks and expertise?

3) What about projects, say somebody wants a warp drive from a rep asap? Should they also be filled in? Take precedence or play second fiddle? Only within their rep or across the board?

Your answer "we're talking about dailies here, that's what people had issues with in the first place" is of course correct, but I'll guarantee misunderstandings and forum complaints no matter how it's done. And while the currencies in question are indeed not that important (marks are mostly used for levelling up anyway, ec amounts are problematic for a first time player but shouldn't be, and I wouldn't know what you'd have to do to run short on expertise), as soon as we mix in other projects, dill and elite marks may come into play, and seeing how some players wouldn't have the patience after a misclick to wait for a day or three to refine the additional dil for a different purpose ...

Not trying to say your reasoning is wrong, I am just predicting people to disagree with it if implemented and new forum wars. After all, complainers gonna complain.

For 1. Do new reps have to be added to the top of the list? And if the system was set to work through them all from top down then the filling would (or should) continue as normal no matter where the reps lay in the list.

2. my suggestion here was that reps unable to be filled would have some sort of indication such as a colour change or tag on the rep title to flag something needed attention. If it needed attention then wouldn't hurt to simply not fill any of the slots until all requirements were met.

3. There could still be a fill all button on the gear projects once slotted but for the daily rep filling I was thinking more of a main button at the top of the rep list. Or even a drop down box of some sort to allow for the choice of daily or hourly. Items that are more of a one shot should be more hands on.

Only time I can see EC amounts being an issue is if someone has blown a load on the exchange buying gear according to whatever mindless pewpew guide told them they needed to have to avoid failing hard. Selling the random junk drops from missions should be enough to get the rep ball rolling and maintain its momentum
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There will never be a mechanism to make an entire game system play itself, so suggesting that is pointless and expecting that is setting yourself up for a disappointment.
This discussion has been closed.