test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Picard series might only be 8 episodes?

13»

Comments

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I liked 'Spock's Brain'. No, that's not quite right. I liked Marj Dusay. I may have missed a few lines of dialogue in there somewhere...
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Nah, I actually said something like this in a Star Trek con panel this afternoon: any episode that is so stupid you start laughing at it doesn't count as punishment. :tongue:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > khan5000 wrote: »
    >
    > Or have them watch “Encounter At Farpoint” the first bridge scene before Q shows up on repeat
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There are far worse punishments to inflict, Spock's Brain, Star Trek V, and Threshold on repeat to name a few.

I am not a fan of TNG. There are only a few episodes I can watch and most of them are after they change the uniform. Best of Both Worlds, Darmok, and the four lights one. I have tried to sit down and watch it but every time I get to that part I can’t finish the episode. That scene isn’t poorly written but it’s poorly acted. You can tell that they haven’t really found the characters and are trying too hard. However when the guy at conn says “Something on the detector circuit” it triggers my lizard brain and I want to smash my tv.

I digress. I don’t think it will be Mirror Picard.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Not "Spock's Brain" - "The Omega Glory".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Not 'The Omega Glory' 'The Way to Eden'.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of TNG. There are only a few episodes I can watch and most of them are after they change the uniform. Best of Both Worlds, Darmok, and the four lights one. I have tried to sit down and watch it but every time I get to that part I can’t finish the episode. That scene isn’t poorly written but it’s poorly acted. You can tell that they haven’t really found the characters and are trying too hard. However when the guy at conn says “Something on the detector circuit” it triggers my lizard brain and I want to smash my tv.

I digress. I don’t think it will be Mirror Picard.

I have to admit that I got that realization myself after getting the TNG dvd set awhile back. There are quite a few duds mixed in those seven seasons. I think part of it might be my changing understanding of this game called life and how it works. A lot of Roddenberry's ideas now seem silly or self indulgent to my grown up self nowadays. Of course this also comes with the benefits of hindsight and knowing where the franchise has gone since then.

Considering its was Patrick Stewarts movie requests that gave us action hero Picard, Nemesis dune buggy chase, and the Insurrection love story subplot, lord knows what version of Picard we will be seeing in this new show.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    I think part of it might be my changing understanding of this game called life and how it works. (...)

I find this really sad. Shouldn't life experiences show how important it is to be idealistic? That's at least what I think when people 'applaud' Sisko for giving up and taking the easy way out. Yes, life doesn't always work out nicely, but if we'd at least try it couldn't harm.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Considering its was Patrick Stewarts movie requests that gave us action hero Picard, Nemesis dune buggy chase, and the Insurrection love story subplot, lord knows what version of Picard we will be seeing in this new show.

The Director Bullock version of Picard.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Rumors about rumors that date back to before DSC even came out, and long before Patrick Stewart made his announcement.

Y'all are making an awful lot of soup from one bone that might not even exist...

Stone Soup, maybe? : ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I think people are misinterrupting the 8 episode thing, I just think they'd done the writing for 8 episides so far.

Just like some people misread the reference to the destruction of Romulus being an important part of the show meant it was set in the Kelvin Timeline. Its set in the Prime Universe.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Asking "how are they going to pay for all these shows?" seems relevant to me.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Oh really? So how did I watch ST:DSC then, since I don't have access to All Access as I live outside the USA? Answer: Netflix. CBS are also paying for ST:DSC with the Netflix distribution license for outside the US. Figure out how much CBS make from that, aggregate that with your other calculations, and then make a conclusion. Bad data is worse than no data.
    Sure. CBS made negative 2 million per episode from the Netflix deal.

According to LA Times, Netflix paid 6 million per episode of STDZ and it cost CBS 8 million per episode to make. That means it cost CBS at least 30 million dollars for season one, probably more if the last 3 episodes were not part of the deal. That means it could cost CBS up to 48 million for season one. Add that to the 250 from the NFL license and All Access has made virtually no profit, assuming every single customer opts for the $10/month package, and the subscriber numbers for the entire yearaverages at 2.5 million (we know they did not start at 2.5 million). These costs are from two programs featured on the service. There are several shows on All Access currently and more in the works, so the costs are obviously higher.

So again I ask, "How is CBS going to pay for a new Picard series, even if there is only 8 episodes?" Are they going to make another deal with Netflix and hope Netflix will pick up most of the tab (again)? If CBS cannot sell the international distribution rights, will the show get cancelled? Kelvin Trek 4 was "shelved indefinitely" for lack of funds, so these questions do seem pertinent at this time.

Link to LA Times article:
    https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-star-trek-cbs-streaming-service-20170923-story.html
    edited January 2019
    redvenge wrote: »
    Asking "how are they going to pay for all these shows?" seems relevant to me.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Oh really? So how did I watch ST:DSC then, since I don't have access to All Access as I live outside the USA? Answer: Netflix. CBS are also paying for ST:DSC with the Netflix distribution license for outside the US. Figure out how much CBS make from that, aggregate that with your other calculations, and then make a conclusion. Bad data is worse than no data.
    Sure. CBS made negative 2 million per episode from the Netflix deal.

According to LA Times, Netflix paid 6 million per episode of STDZ and it cost CBS 8 million per episode to make. That means it cost CBS at least 30 million dollars for season one, probably more if the last 3 episodes were not part of the deal. That means it could cost CBS up to 48 million for season one. Add that to the 250 from the NFL license and All Access has made virtually no profit, assuming every single customer opts for the $10/month package, and the subscriber numbers for the entire yearaverages at 2.5 million (we know they did not start at 2.5 million). These costs are from two programs featured on the service. There are several shows on All Access currently and more in the works, so the costs are obviously higher.

So again I ask, "How is CBS going to pay for a new Picard series, even if there is only 8 episodes?" Are they going to make another deal with Netflix and hope Netflix will pick up most of the tab (again)? If CBS cannot sell the international distribution rights, will the show get cancelled? Kelvin Trek 4 was "shelved indefinitely" for lack of funds, so these questions do seem pertinent at this time.

Link to LA Times article:
    https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-star-trek-cbs-streaming-service-20170923-story.html

Here's one thing you aren't factoring in: they still make money from selling ads on the platform. You have to pay extra to watch ad-free.

Here's another thing you aren't factoring in: Pretty much any new thing is going to run at a net loss initially. That's what investing is: you're putting money into it on a bet that you'll recoup what you put in down the road. CBS has other income streams and can afford for All Access to be a money pit for a while. So they're expanding their service with more offerings. "Expand or die", 45th Rule of Acquisition. :tongue:

Oh, and the fourth Kelvin movie? The films are costing more and making less, but they could've still made another film... except the lead actors, specifically, wanted more money than Paramount was willing to pay. There was noise about bringing back Chris Hemsworth to play George Kirk, but I think whoever had that idea didn't factor in that after five Marvel movies Hemsworth can basically name his price (and Star Trek films have never made anywhere close to what those movies made, inflation adjustments and all). That doesn't mean the film would have been unprofitable or even that they lacked funds, just that they wouldn't have gotten the profit margins they want. (It's a shame, Kirk finally started acting like an officer worthy of his rank in Beyond...)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

azrael605 wrote: »
    Netflix paid 6 million per episode, how much did the many advertisers pay for commercial time? How many people added to that money by choosing not to watch commercials at all (as the advertisers don't pay per viewer account that sees the ads so people opting out does not reduce those fees)? The revenue coming in is not just from Netflix.

Also not mentioned: how much did the Space Channel pay for Canadian distribution rights? ;)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

> @starswordc said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Netflix paid 6 million per episode, how much did the many advertisers pay for commercial time? How many people added to that money by choosing not to watch commercials at all (as the advertisers don't pay per viewer account that sees the ads so people opting out does not reduce those fees)? The revenue coming in is not just from Netflix.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Also not mentioned: how much did the Space Channel pay for Canadian distribution rights? ;)

I don't know, but it was worth it enough that they bought the rights to Short Treks as well AND bought up the Studio that Discovery and Short Treks (and most likely the future Section 31) is shot in as well and invested in a massive expansion of the studio space.
    starswordc wrote: »
    Here's one thing you aren't factoring in: they still make money from selling ads on the platform. You have to pay extra to watch ad-free.
    Netflix paid 6 million per episode, how much did the many advertisers pay for commercial time? How many people added to that money by choosing not to watch commercials at all?
    Alright. Let's see then.
    To offer All Access ad free, CBS is exploring the possibility of charging $9.99 a month to recoup the amount of advertising revenue per member it would lose by stripping out ads
    So, if everyone on the platform did choose to go the "no ads" subscription, CBS would still be making roughly the same amount as if everyone went with the " with ads" subscription.

As a result, the numbers would still be in the 300 million ballpark, again assuming a yearly average of 2.5 million subscribers.
    https://www.thewrap.com/cbs-may-strip-out-ads-from-all-access-streaming-for-a-price/
    Also not mentioned: how much did the Space Channel pay for Canadian distribution rights? ;)
    Alright. Let's see what we can find on this.
    And in Canada, Netflix signed a separate deal with Bell Media that will see the new show’s premiere episode appear on CTV, with subsequent episodes on the Space cable network.
    So apparently, nothing. CBS got zero dollars since this was a deal between Bell Media and Netflix.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07/19/star-trek-netflix-canada_n_11070704.html
    Here's another thing you aren't factoring in: Pretty much any new thing is going to run at a net loss initially. That's what investing is: you're putting money into it on a bet that you'll recoup what you put in down the road. CBS has other income streams and can afford for All Access to be a money pit for a while. So they're expanding their service with more offerings. "Expand or die", 45th Rule of Acquisition. :tongue:
    As I stated, they have not stabilized profits now. In this case, they are building houses and crossing their fingers hoping someone will show up to buy said houses. It seems incredibly premature.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    They are in all likelyhood only producing 8 episode and seeing what happens because let's be frank, Patrick Stewart is bloody expensive. They are not gonna do what ST3 did and promise a giant budget before seeing if it's a money maker or not. CBS learned from Paramount's mistake.
    Stewart is also like 78 years old... gotta give the old man a break, he probably isn't up for the same kind of stuff he was doing 20 years ago.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Or have them watch “Encounter At Farpoint” the first bridge scene before Q shows up on repeat
    Three words

CODE
    OF
    HONOR

You forgot "Justice".
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Unlike what's going on with Marvel's comic line, CBS's version of Trek must be making money, or they wouldn't be not only renewing it, but making MORE shows with the property. Televised entertainment is cut-throat, good shows with strong audiences get cut all the time to save a few bucks, so for a show that generated AS MUCH backlash as Discovery has, to get renewed and have not only the renewal, but additional shows set in the universe slotted up for release? It's gotta be bonkers level of successful.

I can understand that Discovery could get a second season if it was not as successful as they had hoped. However, it has to be extremely successful to push as many Star Trek shows as they are. Of course, there is the possibility that the other Star Trek shows has nothing to do with Discovery, but with the success of Orville. There is no way that Lower Decks would be created if it is heavily influenced by Discovery, but it makes perfect sense if it is heavily inspired by Orville and Rick and Morty.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Look, the sub rate of 2.5 million at six bucks a pop might only be around 300 million with advertising, but there's the rights, and the royalties to consider here, along with whatever merch deals CBS has going, licensing of side product, their cut of convention revenue (they do get a cut) and so on.

Shows that don't make a profit rarely, if ever, get second seasons. Azrael's absolutely correct that the Huffpo piece is junk. there is no Network that is so Ideological it can lose money without being owned by a government. (aka BBC can afford to just produce something without turning a profit, CBS, CBS/Netflix, etc. can not.)
    The issue is not "Is Star Trek: Discovery making money?"

The issue is "Is CBS All Access making enough profit to justify 3+ concurrent Star Trek shows, in addition to all their new content?"

Although I am concerned that STDZ continues to go over-budget every season, in this thread, I am concerned that there is not enough interest in the line up of upcoming Star Trek shows to be sustainable. Maybe they can get away with 8 episodes, but it means that Netflix and Bell Media will pay less, because they are getting less. I do not think Star Trek, even with Sir Patrick's name in marquee, is enough to generate significant new subscriptions for CBS All Access for eight episodes. The people watching Star Trek now do not count, because CBS already has their money.
    Oh and aside from the general.idiocy of huffpost the specific "author" of that ... piece, spent several.months (before he was permabanned) on trekmovie.com comments where among other things he felt secure in telling a complete stranger they were a liar when told they had never heard of huffpost and making constant rants about things easily proven to be wrong, and by easily I mean kindergarten easy.
    You are correct. That particular article seems to be refuted by CBS themselves:
    July 18, 2016 – CBS Studios International and Bell Media today announced a licensing agreement for the new STAR TREK television series in Canada.
    https://www.cbscorporation.com/new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-to-live-long-and-prosper-in-canada-with-bell-media/
    I cannot find how much Bell Media paid for the rights to "all existing episodes of the STAR TREK television library – which includes “Star Trek: The Original Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager”, “Star Trek: Enterprise" and "Star Trek: Discovery"."

The year prior, Bell Media bought the rights to Showtime's library from CBS, and I cannot find how much they paid for that either.
    https://www.cbscorporation.com/bell-media-and-cbs-corporation-announce-long-term-content-licensing-and-trademark-agreement-for-showtime-in-canada/

This left CBS's launch of All Access into Canada somewhat anemic, as the subscription service also lacked shows like Big Bang Theory which is licensed to a different company in Canada. All Access is now directly competing with Netflix and Bell Media's Crave TV, and cannot offer some of it's popular titles. It cannot even offer it's full library of older content, as it licensed off bits and pieces of that as well.
    "At this point if you are a Canadian cord cutter a free trial of the CBS All Access Canadian offering may be in order if there is a specific show on there you want to catch up on, but I don’t see anyone subscribing to this for 3 or 4 months of the year at this point. The library just isn’t diverse or large enough. We’ll see how it continues to grow and evolve."
    https://www.kutko.ca/kutko-blog/2018/4/24/cbs-all-access-launches-in-canada-but-is-it-worth-it
    So, I will concede that there are no hard numbers on the Bell Media license agreement. However, All Access is not instilling confidence it's business practices. CBS still intends to go international with a gimped selection of content against media giants like Netflix and Bell Media's Crave TV (competitors that CBS sold some of it's best content to). "Over-reaching" is my concern here with Star Trek, and CBS is not making me feel better.
    > @redvenge said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > Look, the sub rate of 2.5 million at six bucks a pop might only be around 300 million with advertising, but there's the rights, and the royalties to consider here, along with whatever merch deals CBS has going, licensing of side product, their cut of convention revenue (they do get a cut) and so on.
    >
    > Shows that don't make a profit rarely, if ever, get second seasons. Azrael's absolutely correct that the Huffpo piece is junk. there is no Network that is so Ideological it can lose money without being owned by a government. (aka BBC can afford to just produce something without turning a profit, CBS, CBS/Netflix, etc. can not.)
    >
    >
    >
    > The issue is not "Is Star Trek: Discovery making money?"
    >
    > The issue is "Is CBS All Access making enough profit to justify 3+ concurrent Star Trek shows, in addition to all their new content?"
    >
    > Although I am concerned that STDZ continues to go over-budget every season, in this thread, I am concerned that there is not enough interest in the line up of upcoming Star Trek shows to be sustainable. Maybe they can get away with 8 episodes, but it means that Netflix and Bell Media will pay less, because they are getting less. I do not think Star Trek, even with Sir Patrick's name in marquee, is enough to generate significant new subscriptions for CBS All Access for eight episodes. The people watching Star Trek now do not count, because CBS already has their money. azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Oh and aside from the general.idiocy of huffpost the specific "author" of that ... piece, spent several.months (before he was permabanned) on trekmovie.com comments where among other things he felt secure in telling a complete stranger they were a liar when told they had never heard of huffpost and making constant rants about things easily proven to be wrong, and by easily I mean kindergarten easy.
    >
    >
    >
    > You are correct. That particular article seems to be refuted by CBS themselves: July 18, 2016 – CBS Studios International and Bell Media today announced a licensing agreement for the new STAR TREK television series in Canada.
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.cbscorporation.com/new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-to-live-long-and-prosper-in-canada-with-bell-media/
    > I cannot find how much Bell Media paid for the rights to "all existing episodes of the STAR TREK television library – which includes “Star Trek: The Original Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager”, “Star Trek: Enterprise" and "Star Trek: Discovery"."
    >
    > The year prior, Bell Media bought the rights to Showtime's library from CBS, and I cannot find how much they paid for that either.
    > https://www.cbscorporation.com/bell-media-and-cbs-corporation-announce-long-term-content-licensing-and-trademark-agreement-for-showtime-in-canada/
    >
    > This left CBS's launch of All Access into Canada somewhat anemic, as the subscription service also lacked shows like Big Bang Theory which is licensed to a different company in Canada. All Access is now directly competing with Netflix and Bell Media's Crave TV, and cannot offer some of it's popular titles. It cannot even offer it's full library of older content, as it licensed off bits and pieces of that as well. "At this point if you are a Canadian cord cutter a free trial of the CBS All Access Canadian offering may be in order if there is a specific show on there you want to catch up on, but I don’t see anyone subscribing to this for 3 or 4 months of the year at this point. The library just isn’t diverse or large enough. We’ll see how it continues to grow and evolve."
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.kutko.ca/kutko-blog/2018/4/24/cbs-all-access-launches-in-canada-but-is-it-worth-it
    > So, I will concede that there are no hard numbers on the Bell Media license agreement. However, All Access is not instilling confidence it's business practices. CBS still intends to go international with a gimped selection of content against media giants like Netflix and Bell Media's Crave TV (competitors that CBS sold some of it's best content to). "Over-reaching" is my concern here with Star Trek, and CBS is not making me feel better.

Cravetv also has the right now to a bunch of other stuff now, like HBO, movies, and more, so its actually worth having beyond just star trek.

I watch anger management, big bang theory, documentaries, corner gas, kill joys, and more on it. Plus TRIBBLE and ST (Short Treks).

I will say I'm disappointed that the Picard Series will be only a miniseries.