test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Play time rewards

There are some players that have been playing this game for over 7 years, yet there are no rewards for this, no accolades, no titles, nothing.
Maybe it would be a good idea to give players who have been loyal to this game for so long a reward?
WqFWUHg.png

Comments

• w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    1. Did you know that you can earn free ships during each of the STO Anniversary (Feb 2019, 2018, 2017, etc.)?
    You also get to earn free accolades for participating in the STO Anniversary each year!

You can also earn free ships from Christmas/Winter Event, and you can also earn free ships from Summer Event also?

So there are decent appreciation items for active STO players, if you know where to look.

2. If you're STO poor, I'm sure you can get kind hearted players to donate stuff to you also!

3. Anyone else have pointers for OP?
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Pay.

Get a sub and you get titles and accolades as you are griping about? F2P players are always second thought for games, since money is necessary to make the game you know....run. So paying players get a handful of unique perks, such as titles, accolades, outfits, species, ships. Only like a 1% difference....but yah, pay up.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    So all the free stuff they give out counts for nothing?

In F2P, paying is loyalty, not simply showing up... And everytime you pay for something, you get something in return: Apart from the missions you can play, you get new content on a semi-regular basis, the before-mentioned free stuff on a fairly reliable basis and their irregular giveaways.

What more do you want?

Sorry... Maybe this game and model is not for you.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I'm F2P. I have accolades and titles from the Anniversary Events, as well as a ship that's no longer available in its original form (the Prototype Odyssey), a couple others that I don't know if they're available at all (can you buy the Risian ships?), and a holdful of uniforms and such. I also have some other goodies because I broke down and bought the Temporal pack (had to have those sweet, sweet TOS-style ships, ya know?). Then there are the titles awarded for completing content. (I think some of the older players here really need to start a new toon and play through again, because I keep hearing complaints about "insufficient content" but I still haven't really finished even the Borg arc. Too many new shinies coming along.)

If I wanted participation trophies just for showing up, I'd buy an LTS already. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    anazonda wrote: »
    So all the free stuff they give out counts for nothing?

In F2P, paying is loyalty, not simply showing up... And everytime you pay for something, you get something in return: Apart from the missions you can play, you get new content on a semi-regular basis, the before-mentioned free stuff on a fairly reliable basis and their irregular giveaways.

What more do you want?

Sorry... Maybe this game and model is not for you.

^This

I was trying to be nice...but yup, this sums it up. Seriously, they have released like what 16 Free ships between summer and winter and anniversary and special launchs, and events, etc? And you should have received 3 or 4 more FREE character slots plus the 5 you get free. And all the free costumes, and stuff over the years for anniversary giveaways. And now with the Klingon and Ferengi admiralty, there is ZERO reason even a free player can scratch up a minimum of 128k dilithium per month (426 zen) per character ( thats completing level 10 twice in a month for klink and ferengi admiralty) if you HAVE used all 8 character slots, thats 3400 zen FREE per month if you want. Sorry if you want 100% of all titles, thats not a thing (heck how many accolades aren't even attainable anymore). But STO has done an AMAZING job giving free players 100% access to all endgame content vs playing players, which is incredibly unique in MMORPGs. That a free player has the SAME access to weapons, kits, ships, skins, ANYTHING as a paying player (save for a couple of garbage species and/or ships). Logging in to a free account for seven years isn't loyalty. If every character in this game was as "loyal" as you, it would never have made it TO F2P, let alone made it this many YEARS. Because you know, LOYAL players that PAY are what keeps the devs employed, and employed devs is what keeps the game running, and expanding. Soooooo.....

Also just a sidebar to the OP, if you are SUCH a loyal player....why only 62? posts in 7+ years? apparently being "loyal" to you also doesn't involve even contributing to the player base, or insights into the game, or reporting bugs, or being part of the civilization of players? I consider myself VERY anti-social (clinical in fact) but still managed to post almost 400 times. So you grabbed a free account, don't contribute to the functioning of the game by providing insight, or help, or thoughts to other players or the devs, and you are asking for MORE. You want access to the shinies they give to the people who DO pay? Yahhhhhh.....that sounds like.....well a LOT of people I see in this country these days. "I should get more stuff, just because" "Yah all that stuff those guys are paying for? I want it for free too, just because" "Why should I pay for it, you should just give me more free".

Star Trek Online is the BEST Star Trek game every created. Period. Because its still active today, and supported today, and playable today. They do AMAZING to be equal between free or paying players. The devs LISTEN to the community and players (hence ship design contests, ships being re modeled, ships being released, stories; heck even HAVING the tribble server and the foundry says a LOT for the devs) . But they need CASH to keep it going, thats why they do offer perks to paying players, and they offer the most rare shinies locked behind gamble boxes. But even the FREE players can contribute buy re-purchasing those shinies on the player run/managed/moderated FREE BUILT IN EXCHANGE.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Admiralty. Doffing. Events. Play a little every day...It pays off.
    The regular Endeavors. Play a little every few days, when it refreshes...It pays off.
    Titles and accolades are for finishing content or special objectives in the game.

That is the way they reward us for playing regularly. They are not so much fixated on how many years we been players of the game. They want players to come and play a little bit every day...

Everyone can access these rewards, not just those that have an account opened for years. But the longer you have played, the more you will have accumulated for your efforts.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    You can amass a lot of stuff given free every year. It's not really top notch, but it's really enough to make you relevant in the PVE area.

It's just that you need to be consistent and login to pick up your freebies and do your dailies.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    They are not going to monitor how many hours an account is signed into the server and hand you a reward based on that. That would be rife with abuse.

So, rewards are tied to playing the content tied to those rewards.
    For example, my Jem'Hadar characters just got one for running FGOI.

This means: no one is "locked out" from gaining any rewards because they did not pay a fee.
    They are "locked out" of it because: they did not play.

Even then, you can eventually get the rewards by showing that you ARE playing...
    I got Dilithium (you get that from playing) so I can get Phoenix Boxes. Etc, etc....

The only stuff locked as a free to play, is the rewards from Lifetime Subscriptions.
    For obvious reasons.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    The regular Endeavors. Play a little every few days, when it refreshes...It pays off.
    Titles and accolades are for finishing content or special objectives in the game.

That is the way they reward us for playing regularly. They are not so much fixated on how many years we been players of the game. They want players to come and play a little bit every day...

Everyone can access these rewards, not just those that have an account opened for years. But the longer you have played, the more you will have accumulated for your efforts.

Well said.

I really appreciate how you answer questions without insulting the OP :smile:
    captmack68 wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »

Well said.

I really appreciate how you answer questions without insulting the OP :smile:

It was very eloquent. Where2r1 is very active on the forums and helpful, cudos where due.

However, the OP only made one question:
    Maybe it would be a good idea to give players who have been loyal to this game for so long a reward?

And the rest of us replying are NOT being insulting to the OP or mean, we are just being blunt. The OP is 100% wrong. The game DOES reward loyalty for PLAYING; just not playing for x long, which is what the OP is complaining about. Participation and/or money is rewarded. So there have been contributions to this thread on how to get stuff, but nobody has answered the OP's request, because......the OP is complaining that a feature available to paying players is NOT available to F2P players........ So telling the OP "No" isn't being insulting, its kinda just stating fact. And being the one to point that out isn't being mean, it's just calling someone out for whining about something that doesn't make sense, isn't unique to this game, and isn't actually a real thing. (as it was pointed out, pretty much EVERYTHING can be acquired in game, EXCEPT titles and accolades directly related to time played, which is what the OP was complaining about. These are locked behind a pay wall. Period. No if/and/or/but.)

Also just friendly advice since I see you also are newish to the forums (based on low post count): if you post a complaint, or a knock, or a hate this, or a this feature sucks, or a rant.....99% of people don't care, and will point out you are complaining and ungrateful, or tear you apart, or whatever.

But A LOT, and I mean a HUGE NUMBER of the people that play this game (like myself and most of the people in this thread actually), and are online in the forums are MORE than glad to help people who politely ASK. We WANT people to enjoy the game and play and get their friend to play, so we will help you on the forums, and team up in game to play missions, or run PVP to show you how to load or fly your ship better.

But just like real life, if all you want to do it point your finger at TRIBBLE...you got 3 more pointing back at TRIBBLE. Ask for help, and just like in real life, surprisingly people still help. Complain or whine ONLINE.....especially when what you are complaining about could be fixed by simple effort or basic understanding of the subject in question.....AND throwing in the "I've played for 7 years" bit like they are the OG player.........the OP doesn't want help, they just wanted to complain. So why are any of us the bad guy for calling them out?
    OMG I love how words get replaced by the forum moderation filter and replaced with "TRIBBLE"
  • captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    The OP did not rant. His language was not demanding.
    There was, in fact, a reasonable answer to his question.
    My compliment to Where2r1 was genuine and I stand by it.
    captmack68 wrote: »
    The OP did not rant. His language was not demanding.
    There was, in fact, a reasonable answer to his question.
    My compliment to Where2r1 was genuine and I stand by it.

I never said the OP was ranting or was being demanding. The OP DID however complain (as I pointed out) and was kind of whiny in an entitled manner (asking for more free things)

And again, no there is NOT a "reasonable answer" the OP question. The OP wants titles and accolades specifically tied to how long they have played. Those ARE available. Just only to paying players. Thus the complaint is not valid as the items specifically are available to thousands of players in this game, just not the OP. All the other suggestions by me or anyone else in this thread so far has been on how to get titles and accolades in GENERAL. But SPECIFICALLY to the OP request: no. A F2P player does not get access to the titles and accolades requested.

So was mine. Where2r1 is a great and helpful contributor. Legit. Also very helpful in game.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    The reward for me is: fun

I also have a pile of free event ships, free lower-tier ship unlocks, costume unlocks, now-used piles of free Phoenix tokens, and probably other freebies I've forgotten.

Oh, and all of the story content is free. No $20 expansions, ever.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    can you buy the Risian ships?

Phoenix box Ultra Rare reward, though only character unlock.

Apart from that: I don't think the OP was being whiny or demanding. I don't see the need for anything like it was suggested, but indeed there are F2P games out there which will give minor rewards for X years. Maybe translatable to an endeavour box as a price, or something like a minor costume unlock. Since they often only count time elapsed between first and last login, they don't reward loyalty as such though.

But even if you sense a few whiny notes in the OP, some of the answers seem disproportionate to me.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Well, I think that the OP has been answered on this one, so before it potentially gets out of hand... /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.