test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission changes specifically ‘a step between stars’

jamesberginjamesbergin Member Posts: 19 Arc User
after I’ve used my space suite I’ve noticed that there is too paths to take, one with the solar beams (avoid for the achievement) or protect cooper from the swarmers (for the achievement) are these paths random
Or do you have to complete specific dialogue/functions to which way you can go?

Comments

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    To the best of my knowledge it's random.

I can not say with certainty because it's been a while since I ran through this mission frequently enough to recall what choices I made during the previous run, but I think that I have run it with the same choices and ended up with different paths.

I also have never seen any guide supporting the idea that you have control over which path you take.

It is also a coin flip. You might run it three times and get the same path three times, but sometimes that coin will land on the same face. If you run it enough you should approach 50/50.

azrael605 wrote: »
    Its decided by dialogue.

Okay then... What do you need to say when to have to evade the sunlight and what do you say to have to defend against the swarmers?

I know that dialogue options control which EV suit you get, but I didn't recall it controlling which of the two paths will open.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Its decided by dialogue.

Okay then... What do you need to say when to have to evade the sunlight and what do you say to have to defend against the swarmers?

I know that dialogue options control which EV suit you get, but I didn't recall it controlling which of the two paths will open.

If there's something in the choices earlier that decides which one you get, I have also never been able to make the connection, so I'd also love to find out what I'm missing.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Everything I have managed to track down, after a lot of time with Google, says that which path you get is totally random
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    kf4tvi wrote: »

Thanks, but it isn't useful for the question at hand. We know that there are 2 options, but the OP is asking if something that you do in the mission causes one or the other to happen. Some people in here say that there is a determining choice, while others among us say that there isn't.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    it's early on. I noticed there is one path where the sniper kills the captain and one where he isn't even there. the one where he isn't there you end up futzing around with one of the armor things.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    edited January 2019
    I don't think that has anything to do with it, either, but even if it did, that's a random thing influencing another random thing. Nothing that you as the player do has any effect on whether you get the Spec Ops or the guy in the battle suit.

Edit: Yeah, here are a couple of videos.
    Video 1 has a live Captain that is clear at 12:14, when the player interacts with him, and they go to the Swarmer room at 37:38.
    Video 2 has a live Captain that the player interacts with at 14:35, and they go to the Solar Shutters room at 33:46.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    anodynes wrote: »
    kf4tvi wrote: »

Thanks, but it isn't useful for the question at hand. We know that there are 2 options, but the OP is asking if something that you do in the mission causes one or the other to happen. Some people in here say that there is a determining choice, while others among us say that there isn't.

This, exactly.

I, and others, are saying that whether you get the "Sun Room" or the "Swarm Room" path is random.

Some people, with nothing supporting their statement, are saying that which path you take is determined by some dialogue choice.

So those who claim it to be random are asking for something to support the claims that it is not.

The EV suit that you get is not random. Dialog will determine that and the wiki article explains which choice does what in the notes, but the path?

As far as I am concerned it is random and the burden is on those that say it is not to prove otherwise.