test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone run into this problem with old purchases not carrying over in the game?

First, I don't mean this to be a complaint, even though it probably sounds like one. It's more an observation, and yeah, it's something I can live with.
I've been a lifetime subscriber since the days when you could first become a lifetimer. Anyway, I noticed this just the other day, and to be honest, I've kind of noticed it with other situations as well. I just kind of laughed and accepted it.

Here's the deal. I've probably bought every expansion the game made back when the game actually made you buy the expansions. I always bought the full amount of the expansion (meaning if there was a gold version of the expansion, I paid for it cause I loved getting all the extra stuff).

Anyway, I was playing my main Romulan character the other day and was looking to see if there was any content I hadn't claimed (cause of all of the stuff I buy in the store and over the years). I noticed that the Legacy of Romulus (or whatever it's called) was an option for me to pay the full price for in the store. And then it dawned on me that I had bought the actual full expansion of exactly that name. This content should have already been available for this character as it was the first Romulan character I started anyway. But it wanted me to pay full price for it. Granted, I was only interested in getting the titles and stuff, but part of it just kind of bugged me that I was pretty sure I owned th is already, yet something told me that parts of it were probably missing on my characters.

And yeah, I could probably send in a ticket to get this set right, but that would probably also require me to have to go back WAY into the past and somehow prove I had paid full price (in cash) for this in the past. And honestly, I don't even know where any of that information might be these days. But not really an issue.

I'm more curious if anyone has noticed this sort of thing because I'm starting to notice it on a lot of my characters (because I have so many freaking characters in this game).
Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Content can disappear from accounts and trying to convince support is next to impossible. Many years ago I had a Cstore ship taken away from my account but despite having the ship consoles 4+ times I couldn’t get support to believe I had owned the ship. All they would say is there is no transaction evidence on there system. Well there might not have been but I clearly remember owning the ship and I have the consoles which I couldn’t have otherwise.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Cryptic has never charged for expansion content, even when the game had a subscription, all of the expansion content was part of that.

Are you confusing a starter park for an expansion?

No, not confusing anything. Think you're getting tied up on "expansion" meaning what people refer to today as an expansion. In the early days, the expansion was the next part of the game. I stated I paid for the "gold" version, meaning whatever the best thing you could get from the game, which basically meant the highest end of what was being released as the expansion (not for the expansion itself). Again, terminologies. If it makes you feel better, you're right.

The point IS that I paid for the content (the ships, the name, the title, the everything) and it's not there any longer.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Content can disappear from accounts and trying to convince support is next to impossible. Many years ago I had a Cstore ship taken away from my account but despite having the ship consoles 4+ times I couldn’t get support to believe I had owned the ship. All they would say is there is no transaction evidence on there system. Well there might not have been but I clearly remember owning the ship and I have the consoles which I couldn’t have otherwise.

Yeah, I've started to notice that, too. It's really frustrating, especially if you've played since day one and still shell out a TON of money to this game on a monthly basis just to keep supporting it (and getting the stuff).
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I can't say one way or another whether content can vanish from an account, but I have said since day 1 that we need receipts for items purchased from the store. I can't understand why we don't have that and why there is not a bigger outcry for it.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Cryptic has never charged for expansion content, even when the game had a subscription, all of the expansion content was part of that.

No, not confusing anything. Think you're getting tied up on "expansion" meaning what people refer to today as an expansion. In the early days, the expansion was the next part of the game. I stated I paid for the "gold" version, meaning whatever the best thing you could get from the game, which basically meant the highest end of what was being released as the expansion (not for the expansion itself). Again, terminologies. If it makes you feel better, you're right.

The point IS that I paid for the content (the ships, the name, the title, the everything) and it's not there any longer.

I really think you are meaning the starter packs for every expansion since LoR. The expansion is the episodes, the new TFOs, etc etc.
    The starter packs usually come in 2 sizes. a $20 ish pack with usually one ship and a couple titles, maybe a costume. and a larger starter pack around $120 with a bundle of ships, titles, sometimes a race choice, costumes, etc.

Every expansion has had them, but Cryptic has never made us pay for any content. ever.

And if suddenly my $120 purchases came up missing, you can be sure I'd be contacting support.
    You should consider putting in a ticket with them.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    No, and I've been here since 2012, have a Lifetime sub, own an armada of ships, etc.

You probably bought the $10-20 starter pack not the $120 bundle.

Did you check your PWE order history? "All" transactions goes back to 2015, but "Archived" transactions goes back to at least 2012, I just checked mine. That will only show cash purchases and zen charges, but if you didn't charge $100+ in Zen that's evidence for you not buying the big pack. Or there might be a LoR charge proving you right.
    No, and I've been here since 2012, have a Lifetime sub, own an armada of ships, etc.

Did you check your PWE order history? "All" transactions goes back to 2015, but "Archived" transactions goes back to at least 2012, I just checked mine. That will only show cash purchases and zen charges, but if you didn't charge $100+ in Zen that's evidence for you not buying the big pack. Or there might be a LoR charge proving you right.

So, cause you've never experienced it, it must not be happening. Okay, I get it.

You know, I wasn't asking for the Supreme Court to get involved here. I was just asking if other people have experienced it. Cause I have.

And no, I am probably not going to be able to prove something from a decade ago (or however long it is that some of the content was purchased). You know, sometimes people ask OTHER people if they've experienced something before escalating something to support. to be honest, I'm well off enough as it is that I almost bought the SAME content I bought years ago just because it would have been easier than having to deal with customer support. I've dealt with support before, and it's not all that productive. Other times, it's great. Yesterday, I actually at at my computer and my index finger hovered over actually purchasing it again, just cause it's not that much of a financial discomfort.

Thus, the curiosity of asking other people.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I think you refer to the costumes (alternative skins for ships) and other cosmetic stuff that existed in game, that is no longer available… to "claim". If you think they are not in the c-store, just make sure you select (if available) the tab "all", thats where my old stuff is, except the costumes, those can be only seen in the ship tailor (like the variants of the Luna Class). The packs, for the romulan ships can only be buyed and claimed by romulans, so thats kinda odd, considering this is your first romulan, just this week i got back some things that went missing in my account, they released a patch to fix that, anyway, good luck
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    edited January 2019

So, cause you've never experienced it, it must not be happening. Okay, I get it.

You know, I wasn't asking for the Supreme Court to get involved here. I was just asking if other people have experienced it. Cause I have.

And no, I am probably not going to be able to prove something from a decade ago (or however long it is that some of the content was purchased). You know, sometimes people ask OTHER people if they've experienced something before escalating something to support. to be honest, I'm well off enough as it is that I almost bought the SAME content I bought years ago just because it would have been easier than having to deal with customer support. I've dealt with support before, and it's not all that productive. Other times, it's great. Yesterday, I actually at at my computer and my index finger hovered over actually purchasing it again, just cause it's not that much of a financial discomfort.

That is NOT what I said. You asked if others had experienced it, I said no, explained how you might be wrong, and showed you how you might be able to figure it out one way or the other since PWE does list purchases from back to at least 2012. Legacy of Romulus was released May 21, 2013 according to the wiki.

I did NOT say it never happened and I did NOT say you must be wrong. "Probably" is not "definitely."

You might have purchased the starter pack - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Legacy_of_Romulus_Starter_Pack

You might have purchased the legacy pack - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Legacy_of_Romulus_Legacy_Pack

If you take a minute and look at your purchase history like I suggested you might be able to see which it was by your zen charges.

That is NOT what I said. You asked if others had experienced it, I said no, explained how you might be wrong, and showed you how you might be able to figure it out one way or the other since PWE does list purchases from back to at least 2012. Legacy of Romulus was released May 21, 2013 according to the wiki.

I did NOT say it never happened and I did NOT say you must be wrong. "Probably" is not "definitely."

You might have purchased the starter pack - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Legacy_of_Romulus_Starter_Pack

You might have purchased the legacy pack - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Legacy_of_Romulus_Legacy_Pack

If you take a minute and look at your purchase history like I suggested you might be able to see which it was by your zen charges.

My purchase history only goes back as far as 2015. Legacy of Romulus was back in 2013. Honestly, not really trying to argue with you or anyone. Please stop.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    The packs, for the romulan ships can only be buyed and claimed by romulans, so thats kinda odd, considering this is your first romulan, just this week i got back some things that went missing in my account, they released a patch to fix that, anyway, good luck

Yeah, that's the part that got me. This would have been the one character that would have benefited from all of those implementations, but I checked his titles and he has none of them, which just seems massively odd. Checked all my other Romulans, and they don't have them either. But they do have some of the ships (not all of them). Basically, they have what I actually claimed back then and continued to use.

Just found it really odd.

Not the end of the world, or the galaxy. Just odd.
    edited January 2019
    Did you do this?

> "All" transactions goes back to 2015, but "Archived" transactions goes back to at least 2012, I just checked mine.

Not trying to argue either, but if you really want to know instead of just telling yourself that Cryptic took your jerbs you can click the blue [ Archived Transactions ] near the top-right of the purchase history page.
    edited January 2019

Doesn't work the purchase history only goes back a few years. Looking at my account I have a Cstore ship I never paid for but is active on my character and a another Cstore ship I clearly used to own but no longer own. So I am 100% sure this bug can happen.
    nixboox wrote: »

"Gold" was a subscription level, not content.

"Gold" was a word I used here for emphasis. Could have used "E ticket content" and it would have meant the same thing. Honestly, don't remember what they called it back then.

Can people just stop trying to nitpick the post because of specific words? My point was to ask if other experienced this.
    edited January 2019
    "Gold" was a word I used here for emphasis. Could have used "E ticket content" and it would have meant the same thing. Honestly, don't remember what they called it back then.

Can people just stop trying to nitpick the post because of specific words? My point was to ask if other experienced this.
    The problem is that you have fundamentally misused major terms like "expansion" and "gold", which makes it difficult for people to know what exactly you are talking about.

At no point in STO's history have you ever had to pay for expansions/the next part of the game. Story content, TFOs, events, etc. etc. were always free. There was a sub for the game itself back in the first year or so, but you never had to pay for expansions or story content/"the next part of the game" on top of that, nor was there ever a "gold" version of the expansion or anything like that.

The only things that you have ever had to pay for are ships, and costumes, and some starter bonus boxes, but those are not expansions, nor where they just given out for free if you had gold, nor were they the next part of the game.
    Its seemed pretty clear to me. The expansions come with content packs which come at different levels of content and they always brought the gold level pack meaning the more expensive top end one with the most content. It was clear he was talking about the Legacy of Romulus pack with the extra ships and titles.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Probably when they revamped and added the new packs and bundles, the old bundle code was removed and people who already had those codes unlocked on their accounts found themselves locked out of the content.

For a better approach, contact customer support and offer them all the info you can provide.
    Hopefully they lean towards their customers, since being an old client should pretty much be a veto of trust in itself.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Cryptic has never charged for expansions. What they do bring from time to time is a starter pack for an expansion and usually more than one level of starter pack. For example with Victory is Life we had a basic starter pack that got you some little odds and ends along with the dreadnought ship. The larger pack had all the jem'hadar ships, all the cardassian ships, the vanguard species and the works etc. Whether you purchased the larger pack, smaller pack, or didn't purchase a starter pack at all, you were still able to play the Victory is Life content missions. In terms of subscription levels, there used to be basic free to play folks, gold level folks that pay $15 a month, and then lifetimers. Currently only lifetime and free to play are the options folks have.

With all of that said I'm going to advise you to send a ticket to CS as there is nothing any of us can do in regards to this particular issue. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.