test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Discovery (CBS) are being sued for plagiarism by Anas Abdin, creator of Tardigrades.

terrybunce313terrybunce313 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Star Trek Discovery is being sued for plagiarism by Anas Abdin, creator of the game Tardigrades for similarities with his game
Could this mean Curtains for STO Discovery content? As CBS are being sued for the show and must be getting royalties from the STO MMORPG Devs.

Copy the links and share your thoughts on this, (sorry for the pun) Discovery.

Links: Nerdrotic Channel, video report https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbWhfeDwEDk&feature=youtu.be

Anas Abdin's Tardigrades Blog http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

#startrekdiscovery #startrekdiscoveryseason2 #startreklawsuit #AnasAbdin

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Doesn't belong in General, and we already had a thread on this very subject shut down because it got VERY heated.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • direwolf016#2451 direwolf016 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    I imagine STO, itself, is pretty insulated... Speaking strictly as a layman, it doesn't appear that STO profited from much of anything involved from the principle lawsuit. The Tardigrade you get from the starter pack, it could be argued, came strictly complementary and thereby STO received no profit from it--the characters themselves that are considered as part of the lawsuit don't seem to appear in the game, or (more importantly) are part of the STO F2P model and they don't profit directly that way.

That's just my reading of the situation; IMO, STO should be relatively fine whatever way the lawsuit ends.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Doesn't belong in General, and we already had a thread on this very subject shut down because it got VERY heated.

Do you have a link to that thread? I tried using the search bar, but I can't find it. I'm curious what others have been saying...
    Its in Ten Forward. Still on page one. Can't miss it.
    Honestly I'm just tired of seeing this pop up as if its the end of the world. Its so polarizing that its putting Trek fans at each others throats.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • terrybunce313terrybunce313 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm streaming this live to record everyones opinion on the matter, to help spread the word and the point is to see how it will affect STO in GENERAL.
    Its in Ten Forward. Still on page one. Can't miss it.
    Honestly I'm just tired of seeing this pop up as if its the end of the world. Its so polarizing that its putting Trek fans at each others throats.

Yeah, I understand. Thanks for pointing me--I'll see if I can find it.

Do you have a link to that thread? I tried using the search bar, but I can't find it. I'm curious what others have been saying...

Its was shut down, so there wont be a link.
    It won't. The lawsuit is honestly a joke. Its almost like no one's ever heard of parallel development.
    And word is that Indie Dev may have ripped off Dune, and there's rumors that he tweaked some of his not even released game after the fact.
    Rumors aside... its being fueled by Discovery haters who only want to see Discovery burn, and anyone who disagrees gets beat to death with the "True Fan" shtick and won't listen to any counter arguments. And in some cases they just want a big company to get smashed by a little guy because reasons.

MY opinion: honestly sick and tired of it getting hyped up and turning us against each other.
    That's not my agenda I can assure you, I just want a decent and civil conversation on the topic.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    anyone can sue anyone for anything.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

That's not my agenda I can assure you, I just want a decent and civil conversation on the topic.

Good luck. The last thread devolved into a fight over who's right about our legal system.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Aren't tardigrades real animals? Unless this guy is a god, Iiiiiiii don't think that he invented them.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    It's old news, about a suit even more ill-fated than the Axanar mess, being pushed heavily by a YouTube account that has so far exhibited very little regard for truth.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    It won't. The lawsuit is honestly a joke. Its almost like no one's ever heard of parallel development.
    And word is that Indie Dev may have ripped off Dune, and there's rumors that he tweaked some of his not even released game after the fact.
    Rumors aside... its being fueled by Discovery haters who only want to see Discovery burn, and anyone who disagrees gets beat to death with the "True Fan" shtick and won't listen to any counter arguments. And in some cases they just want a big company to get smashed by a little guy because reasons.

MY opinion: honestly sick and tired of it getting hyped up and turning us against each other.

Discovery turned fans against each other, it has nothing to do with a lawsuit
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's old news, about a suit even more ill-fated than the Axanar mess, being pushed heavily by a YouTube account that has so far exhibited very little regard for truth.

That's why the judge declared it wasn't a frivolous lawsuit, something every Discovery fan says it is the moment it's brought up.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    And here is where the whole "knowledge of the law" argument began in the other thread.

The judge did not declare the lawsuit "non-frivolous"; that's not the job of the judge at that point. He merely permitted it to advance to the discovery stage, which is the stage at which the two sides are required to inform one another of the evidence they've collected. It's not nearly the ominous note those whose legal education comes from prime-time TV seem to believe it to be.

Frivolity is determined during the testimony phase, which is where I expect this whole thing to go down the porcelain fixture.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Welcome to August 2018!

I wonder why Daniels sent us back here?

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    We're just not going to be doing these anymore, because they ALWAYS devolve. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.